Credit Card conversion options

rdailybread

I was completing the online check-in for a Royal Caribbean cruise. When it came time to print the SetSail Pass, I noticed I needed to choose a currency conversion option for the credit card. This is new to me. It looks to me like a separate fee is going to be applied no matter which option is chosen. Does anyone have experience or feedback on these options?

I was completing the online check-in for a Royal Caribbean cruise. When it came time to print the SetSail Pass, I noticed I needed to choose a currency conversion option for the credit card. This is new to me. It looks to me like a separate fee is going to be applied no matter which option is chosen. Does anyone have experience or feedback on these options?

That section does not apply if you will be using a USD denominated credit card. That is for people who use credit cards that are non-USD based. For those people, it's usually better to have the cruise company charge in USD and have the credit card company make the conversion.

That section does not apply if you will be using a USD denominated credit card. That is for people who use credit cards that are non-USD based. For those people, it's usually better to have the cruise company charge in USD and have the credit card company make the conversion.

Thank you for the reply. That makes sense. I wonder if that option has been there and I simply didn't see it?

Thank you for the reply. That makes sense. I wonder if that option has been there and I simply didn't see it?

That option has been there on all our RC cruises as least for the last 10 years.

For those of us who use a currency that's not the same as ship's currency, there's no fee if we decline ship's offer to convert to the currency of our card and we have a card which makes no currency conversion charge.

Something for you to bear in mind if / when you sail a ship which charges in a currency other than USD.

Or indeed if you use your USD card in a foreign country and are asked if you'd like it to be charged in USD "for your convenience":rolleyes: - an increasing trend in tourist haunts.

Keep the transaction in ship's / local currency - your card issuer will (almost) always give you a better exchange rate than any cruise line or merchant.

JB :)