Zenith & Grand Cayman

Airb330

From what I've read on here, it seems that about for every 1 in 3 days, the seas are too rough to tender into Grand Cayman. I'm on the 5 day Zenith cruise to GC and Key West. Say that it is too rough to tender into Grand Cayman, do you think we'll go somewhere else? Having 4 sea days, and one day in Key West wouldn't be as good of a time! Either way, it's a nice break from the cold and I'll make the best of it :)

We have done GC a couple of times and never not been able to tender in. I do know the fall isn't the best time so hopefully Dec will be fine. We too will be very disappointed, but will take what we get. I trust the authorities in charge will decide what is safe and it is better to be safe than sorry. NMNita

From what I've read on here, it seems that about for every 1 in 3 days, the seas are too rough to tender into Grand Cayman. I'm on the 5 day Zenith cruise to GC and Key West. Say that it is too rough to tender into Grand Cayman, do you think we'll go somewhere else? Having 4 sea days, and one day in Key West wouldn't be as good of a time! Either way, it's a nice break from the cold and I'll make the best of it :)

Are you on the Feb. 11 cruise? I read one post here that their cruise went to Jamaica and Nassau instead of Grand Cayman. that would be okay with me-now if it ws Nassau and KeyWest I would be disapointed-I have been to Nassau many times and do not care to go there again as I was there last month.

Are you on the Feb. 11 cruise? I read one post here that their cruise went to Jamaica and Nassau instead of Grand Cayman. that would be okay with me-now if it ws Nassau and KeyWest I would be disapointed-I have been to Nassau many times and do not care to go there again as I was there last month.
I agree with you. I am not a big fan or either Nassau or Jamaica but it would be new to some who are cruising with us. What I don't want is 4 days at sea and yes, I guess the Jones Act may enter into the picture. I didn't think about that. NMnita

I agree with you. I am not a big fan or either Nassau or Jamaica but it would be new to some who are cruising with us. What I don't want is 4 days at sea and yes, I guess the Jones Act may enter into the picture. I didn't think about that. NMnita

Well I would not mind Jamaica as we have not been there yet-amazing after 10 cruises-we have not been there. Hubby does want to go to Grand Cayman for the scuba diving-but if we went to Cozumel or Jamaica we would be okay with that too.

I guess even if it was 5 days at seas-we would be okay-not what we would want-but oh well? We are going though in Feb. so surely there would be no hurricane to change things then but who knows? we can't predict the weather can we?

You are going in December? We have posted back and forth a few times over the years- a shame you aren't on my cruise so we could meet.

I'm on the 12/17 cruise, same as NMNita I think. Jamaica would be fine as well. While I do want to swim with the stingrays, I am not really attached to GC. I;d go along with the flow, but I would be a upset a bit with 4 sea days. I was in Ocho Rios when I was 7, and that was fun. I never thought about the Jones' Act, so yeah I guess they'd need to find something. I was just curious what others thought about this hypothetical situation.

Well I would not mind Jamaica as we have not been there yet-amazing after 10 cruises-we have not been there. Hubby does want to go to Grand Cayman for the scuba diving-but if we went to Cozumel or Jamaica we would be okay with that too.

I guess even if it was 5 days at seas-we would be okay-not what we would want-but oh well? We are going though in Feb. so surely there would be no hurricane to change things then but who knows? we can't predict the weather can we?

You are going in December? We have posted back and forth a few times over the years- a shame you aren't on my cruise so we could meet.

It would be fun to meet, but don't think our granddaughter would change her wedding date just for me. 2 weeks from Saturday we will be on the ship as she will get married just prior to sailing. About 50 will be at the wedding and 21 are sailing with us. NMnita

I'm on the 12/17 cruise, same as NMNita I think. Jamaica would be fine as well. While I do want to swim with the stingrays, I am not really attached to GC. I;d go along with the flow, but I would be a upset a bit with 4 sea days. I was in Ocho Rios when I was 7, and that was fun. I never thought about the Jones' Act, so yeah I guess they'd need to find something. I was just curious what others thought about this hypothetical situation.
So you are going to swim with the stingrays as well. Are you doing it through the ship or with a tour company? We are going through a company. Like you, the only reason to go to GC is for the snorkeling or scuba and the swim with the little slimmy ocean creatures. We are not in love with GC. NMNita

So you are going to swim with the stingrays as well. Are you doing it through the ship or with a tour company? We are going through a company. Like you, the only reason to go to GC is for the snorkeling or scuba and the swim with the little slimmy ocean creatures. We are not in love with GC. NMNita

I'm not sure. I love doing things on my own. I've been planning family vacations since I was 10 or so. I'm 20 now and finals are coming up at college, so I'm busy, though I am in front of the computer a lot! My stepdad, who is coming with me has nothing to do with the arrangements. To save time, we may just do it through Celebrity. I honestly have been researching more stuff for my longer cruise on break in January with my mother. If you can point me to a couple of good companies, I'd appreciate it. I definitely need to stop by the GC Board on here. I do think we may stop by 7 mile beach or something for an hour or two after the swim.

We've been able to get in 3 of 4 times, having been turned away only once (in fall) on a day when 6 ships were to dock.( we were there most recently on Zenith on 11/10 trip)

I believe that all the tourist related businesses need the business so desparately to rebuild, that they are bending overboard to let people tender.

If however you can't get in, don't expect Celebrity to come up with another port, you'll have another sea day!!

I booked with Soto's Cruises. Good price and it's relatively short. I definitely want to hit up the beach before tendering back in. The times are perfect for what we wanted to do. I should be studying for a quiz for lab tonight...but this is more fun!

Airb330,

Check out the ports-of-call boards on this site. Good discussion of GC companies. I'm a big fan of Native Way. We did their Rays Reef and Rum Point tour a few months ago. Best shore excursion I've ever done! They won't charge you if the ship can't tender in. BTW I'm on the ship with you and nmnita.

I'm not sure. I love doing things on my own. I've been planning family vacations since I was 10 or so. I'm 20 now and finals are coming up at college, so I'm busy, though I am in front of the computer a lot! My stepdad, who is coming with me has nothing to do with the arrangements. To save time, we may just do it through Celebrity. I honestly have been researching more stuff for my longer cruise on break in January with my mother. If you can point me to a couple of good companies, I'd appreciate it. I definitely need to stop by the GC Board on here. I do think we may stop by 7 mile beach or something for an hour or two after the swim.

One thing you can do is go to"hell"-now that is a real place there I am not cursing at you.

They say Grand Cayman is a great place to scuba dive if you do that-but you have to have a documented dive in the last 2 years for them to allow you.

Well Nita tell your g daughter congrats-it sounds as though she will have a gread wedding-having a cruise with it.

One thing I am worried about is everyone keeps talking about the hard beds. I am wondering if I need to bring my aero bed with me-now that thing has some weight even when not blown up-so not really praticial as we are flying to Miami. So I doubt I would really do that.

You guys can let me know if they are really that bad-since you are 2 months ahead of me.

One thing too-hurricane season is over Nov.30- so maybe you will be able to tender okay.

As far as their changing ports and their not doing that but making it a sea day I don't believe that-I know one cruise on RCCL we went to Freeport instead of CocoCay becuase of storms and this was a cheapo 3 day mini cruise. I would think they would at least dock at Costa Maya if not Grand Cayman. Port charges are actually less there.

Archived