Norwegian Sun wifi service (Southern Caribbean)

gbfan06

Hello,

My wife and I are relative new cruisers on NCL. We've cruised on three NCL cruises thus far, the Jewel (Caribbean), Epic (Mediterranean) and Pride of America (Hawaii). We enjoyed our last NCL cruise so much that we purchased several cruise next certificates. We would like to book an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Sun out of Miami in November.

Our issue involves the quality/reliability of the ship-wide wifi service on the Sun. Over the past two years, we've had very good experiences utilizing the updated ship-wide wifi service on multiple Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships. However, given the port intensive nature of our last two NCL cruises (Epic and POA) we do not have any experience with NCL's version of wifi service.

My wife's job requires periodic online access with her laptop. On this particular trip, she would like to be able to go online for a couple of hours daily during our sea-days. On the Sun cruise, that would be a total of 5 days. I've seen recent comments about Alaska, but does anyone know whether the Sun has good, reliable wifi service while sailing in the Caribbean? Also, does NCL offer discounted package rates for their ship-wide wifi service that lasts the length of the cruise as do both Carnival and RCCL?

If the consensus is negative, we will probably shift our focus to another cruise line this Fall and try NCL at a later date. I very much appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

Hello,

My wife and I are relative new cruisers on NCL. We've cruised on three NCL cruises thus far, the Jewel (Caribbean), Epic (Mediterranean) and Pride of America (Hawaii). We enjoyed our last NCL cruise so much that we purchased several cruise next certificates. We would like to book an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Sun out of Miami in November.

Our issue involves the quality/reliability of the ship-wide wifi service on the Sun. Over the past two years, we've had very good experiences utilizing the updated ship-wide wifi service on multiple Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships. However, given the port intensive nature of our last two NCL cruises (Epic and POA) we do not have any experience with NCL's version of wifi service.

My wife's job requires periodic online access with her laptop. On this particular trip, she would like to be able to go online for a couple of hours daily during our sea-days. On the Sun cruise, that would be a total of 5 days. I've seen recent comments about Alaska, but does anyone know whether the Sun has good, reliable wifi service while sailing in the Caribbean? Also, does NCL offer discounted package rates for their ship-wide wifi service that lasts the length of the cruise as do both Carnival and RCCL?

If the consensus is negative, we will probably shift our focus to another cruise line this Fall and try NCL at a later date. I very much appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

When we cruise, we always get an "unlimited WiFi" package so that DH can do any work he needs/wants to do.

(We've agreed that it is MUCH better for him to be on email from the balcony of a ship or hotel, than to be at home doing the same :) )

We alternate when I want to check email (although I no longer have the business needs for this); he downloads stuff to work on.

With NCL, there is sometimes a freebie of 250 minutes, but beware!

Our experience (and we've asked on *every* cruise since the first) is that the "unlimited" package cannot be added on to the freebie "later".

That is, there is just a short window at the start of the cruise, when the unlimited service is available for purchase.

After that... one can only purchase in "X minute" chunks, and that can add up FAST :(

We've never yet had any major difficulties with the NCL WiFi, including in the Caribbean (but not on the Sun; we were on the Sun in Alaska).