Po River Italy - Has anyone done a river cruise on this river?

ninaks

I know it isn't much of a river, and a lot of the tours you have to go by bus, but we are still considering this since I want to see Italy and I love just unpacking once. We have done river cruises on Viking on the Rhine and Danube. Can anyone share their experiences on the Po River? thank you!

I did the CroisiEurope Po trip in 2015. If you use the search facility for CroisiEurope Venice you will find my lengthly comments there. Sorry not sure about linking since I gave up the laptop. Hope this will be of help to you.

As mentioned my day by day review of Uniworld is toward the bottom of this page currently. If you scroll down you will see it. I outline the excursions, food, service and the ship that Uniworld uses.

There are only two major river cruise lines that offer the Po/Venice lagoon itinerary. They are Uniworld and CrosiEurope. So if you find the other posters review you will have an account of both.

Keep in mind that often Uniworld can't actually sail on the Po as the water levels are often too low as they were on my trip. This itineary is much more of a lagoon sailing then river sailing regardless of the Po's ability to handle ship traffic. But as you say if you want to visit this part of Italy without packing and unpacking it is a great way to do it.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

We were able to sail on the Po during our Uniworld cruise. I would not look to that being particularly scenic sailing. It was an out and back trip, with virtually no sights to see during the sailing. We were docked in places where there was no reason to get out and explore. It was still a great cruise and the benefit of staying mainly in Venice on the ship was great. The lagoon sailing was wonderful too. However, it's not really scenic river cruising. I'm slowly writing my review and will have more information in that. I posted a few day-by-days in mid-May.