Just off the Solstice - Alaska

Ruthie1017

Just off the Solstice - Alaska

Just sailed the Solstice from 30 June to 7 July and here are a few remarks:

Embarkation was a snap (we arrived at 10:30) but getting into the port can be time consuming – the Port Authority limits the number of cars that can enter the area. We took an Uber from our hotel but taxis seem to have priority entering. From handing our luggage to the porters to stepping on deck…10 minutes.

Ketchikan – Easy port to walk in. Ships are close by. Our float plane ride was cancelled due to fog. We did the totem park and lumber jack show. The show was a little hokey for my taste.

Juneau – We did the Tracy Arm excursion where a boat comes alongside the ship and you board and go deep to the glacier. I am mixed on the experience only because it eats up A LOT of time. The last two hours you are basically on a passenger ferry sailing to Juneau to catch up with the Solstice. The guide offered some insights, but had I realized, I would have bought a book. In the afternoon, we took a bus ride to the Mendenhall Glacier. It is a very nice National Park.

Skagway - We did the half day White Pass train ride in the morning. We enjoyed it but the highlight was the afternoon walking tour with the Good Time Girls. They were terrific. Nobody even minded that it rained most of the time.

These excursions are run by Alaska Tours who employ college students to be your guide. Each was nicer than the one before.

Dining – We did Celebrity Select dining every night in the main dining room. Franco and Ceasar were great. The Oceanview Café gets crowded very fast. Don’t search for a window seat, take the first table that works.

Entertainment – Standard big shows. The comedian was good but better in the Celebrity Central venue than in the main theater; more like a comedy club. DO NOT MISS Brent Nixon’s or Miss Amanda’s lectures (I’ll tell you where the cute bear butt is in the Ketchikan totem). Oh, and the best Captain ever. Go to his lecture on building the ship. It is hilarious. We also did the all access tour. It was fun. It is a good way to spend a day at sea.

Finally – Bring raingear and a huge shout out to our cabin steward Suzzett.

If you have any specific question…Ask me.

$99. A little pricey, but you see sanitation, food storage, laundry, engine room, galley and the bridge. Don't worry if you try to book it online and it says it is sold out. Go to Guest Services, they appear to add tours depending on requests.

Oh, and the best Captain ever. Go to his lecture on building the ship. It is hilarious.

I missed the lecture when I was on the Solstice back in May ... but is that the same Captain that got to the glacier and spun doughnuts? He IS hilarious!!

I was on your sailing too - such a soggy time! It definitely didn't get us down though. We were also on the small boat glacier excursion and felt the exact same way: glad we went because we got to go to a glacier when the rest of the ship didn't, but those last two hours were a snooze (I think I actually took a nap!)

And yes, the Captain was awesome :)

Did your cruise have the Beatles Tribute band? I've noticed when people talk about the entertainment some mention them and some don't say anything (maybe no interest). I'm just wondering if they are not booked for every cruise?