Upgrade! (sorta)

TidePrideGA

Just got a call from my TA. We've been booked as a triple into 4183 since July. 4183 does not show as a triple on the 05 deck plans, but did on the 06 plans, and the computer accepted the triple booking. Now, HAL is telling us it is NOT a triple. They wanted to move me to a VA, but my TA persisted and got us an upgrade to SS. Woo hoo!

We're now in 6108. It's a handicapped cabin with 355sf and a 214sf verandah. I could have had one of several non-HC on Navigation deck but this cabin is much larger (they're 272sf and 87sf verandah).

I'm not crazy about handicapped rooms, but since there are three of us, the extra room seemed the way to go.

What would y'all have done?

You did exactly what we'd have done. You'll love the SS, especially with 3. 6108 is slightly bigger than the other SS cabins (there are actually 4 slightly oversized SS cabins on Vista class ships) and you get a slightly larger verandah. Enjoy it! You done good! :D

Just got a call from my TA. We've been booked as a triple into 4183 since July. 4183 does not show as a triple on the 05 deck plans, but did on the 06 plans, and the computer accepted the triple booking. Now, HAL is telling us it is NOT a triple. They wanted to move me to a VA, but my TA persisted and got us an upgrade to SS. Woo hoo!

We're now in 6108. It's a handicapped cabin with 355sf and a 214sf verandah. I could have had one of several non-HC on Navigation deck but this cabin is much larger (they're 272sf and 87sf verandah).

I'm not crazy about handicapped rooms, but since there are three of us, the extra room seemed the way to go.

What would y'all have done?

I had 6108 on the Zuiderdam -- out of necessity, as my husband is handicapped.

If I were you, I think I would have opted for the non-HC cabins on the Navigation deck.

The HC cabin you will be in will have only one sink, versus two sinks [and a larger sink area] on the standard SS cabin. And I don't believe you'll have that shelf under the sink I've heard mentioned.

I also don't think the tub is the whirlpool kind ... but I think it is a whirlpool in the standard SS cabin.

You will have an unusual shower configuration -- when you pull the shower curtain shut, you and the toilet will be on the same side of the curtain. So the TP gets wet, as well as the whole toilet area. Remember to take the extra roll off the hook and place it where it won't get soaked, before you shower.

Yes, the cabin is bigger square-foot wise, but the cabin angles, it's not a rectangle as a standard SS would be. So all of that "extra" floor space is actually a corner by the door to the balcony.

Also, you may want to ask your cabin steward to remove some furniture. When we had that room on the Zuiderdam, we had 2 chairs, a coffee table and a hassock removed. That was because we found it too cluttered to accommodate a wheelchair -- but still, with three people in the cabin, you may want to get rid of a few items.

The balcony is lovely and large. Some people have said it lacks privacy because of its angle. I didn't mind it.

We had booked 6108 on the Westerdam for this last cruise earlier this month, but changed our booking to a VA because of the SS bathroom configuration.

If I did not need an HC cabin for DH, I would not opt for one if there were other choices.

Thanks, Randy and Oceanwench! Oceanwench, your concerns are exactly my own. I do not like to get assigned to a handicapped room when I travel in a hotel and doubt I will much care for it on the ship, either. However, the reason I went with it was the "lovely and large" balcony. The difference in 214sf and 87sf just sounded too good to pass up since we plan to spend a lot of time there.

I'll keep that in mind about asking to have furniture removed. And about keeping the TP dry!

As for privacy on the balcony, 4183 (our original cabin) is an aft verandah on the lower promenade deck. I've got to feel that 6108 has as much or more privacy than that one would have had! I'm not a privacy nut, anyway. If somebody wants to watch me read, go for it!

I'm mainly disappointed to be giving up the aft verandah... I was really excited about that!

I agree with Oceanwench. We had an SS on the Navigation deck on the Westerdam and loved the space! We had a whirlpool tub w/shower, and then a separate shower, double sinks, double medicine cabinets, large shelf under the double sinks. The stateroom itself is very roomy and large. There would still be plenty of space with the sofa bed opened up. The balcony had a large table with 4 chairs, and then 2 separate chairs w/footrests for reading and relaxing. It's spoiled us and I don't know if we could go back to a smaller cabin again!:D

Well, after thinking some more and talking it over with DH, we changed again and took SS8090, Navigation Deck. Oceanwench and csg99 convinced me. The deciding factor was csg99's description of the balcony, which was VERY important to us - having enough room to enjoy it. As I said earlier, we plan to spend a lot of time out there, particularly in the morning and at night.

And, yes, Lola, I DO have an awesome TA!

Well, after thinking some more and talking it over with DH, we changed again and took SS8090, Navigation Deck. Oceanwench and csg99 convinced me. The deciding factor was csg99's description of the balcony, which was VERY important to us - having enough room to enjoy it. As I said earlier, we plan to spend a lot of time out there, particularly in the morning and at night.

And, yes, Lola, I DO have an awesome TA!

I don't think you'll be disappointed! The balcony of the SS feels almost twice the size of the one with our VA cabin we were in on the Zuiderdam in May. Those balconies just have a small table, only big enough to hold beverages. The SS balcony was wonderful! We had room service almost every morning and, when we weren't riding 27 ft waves, we ate at the table on the balcony, enjoying the fresh air and view. The wicker chairs and footrests (with another small table between them for drinks) are perfect for curling up with a book (and then dozing off...)...we were out there every night, enjoying the full moon. :D I think with 3 people, you'll be glad to have the double basins in the bathroom. Looking at Rev Neal's photos of the balcony, they have 2 chairs with their large table. I remember having more, so it might be something you need to ask your steward for if you need extra.

I agree -- smart move.

If you look at Rev Neal's pictures of his recent B2B on the Westerdam [just posted], you'll see some great shots of what a standard SS looks like.

Believe me, the balcony is spacious.

And the bathroom ... yikes! I like lots of room in the sink area, and the standard SS cabins have that. Nowhere near as cramped as the bathroom of the accessible SS.

You did exactly what we'd have done. You'll love the SS, especially with 3. 6108 is slightly bigger than the other SS cabins (there are actually 4 slightly oversized SS cabins on Vista class ships) and you get a slightly larger verandah. Enjoy it! You done good! :D

The only concern I would have with taking a handicapped cabin would be what happens if some sort of mix-up occurs and it turns out at embarkation that a handicapped person needs to be assigned to that cabin. Now where do you go? You could wind up in something that is far from an upgrade from what you originally booked.

The idea of a handicapped cabin (as a non-physically challenged individual) would scare me for that reason. Those cabins have to go to people who need them first (rightfully so), and I don't like the idea that I could wind up anywhere if it turns out that cabin is needed for another passenger.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I should probably correct or modify my statement. I wasn't commenting on taking a handicapped cabin per se and really was commenting on getting upgraded to an SS, particularly one of the "corner" cabins which are slightly larger than the other SS's. I too would be reluctant to take a handicapped cabin, especially if it meant somebody who really needed those kind of accommodations either didn't take the cruise or was forced to deal with a standard setup because I was in the cabin. If those circumstances ever happened to us I know we'd initially ask to be put in a standard cabin setup or, if assigned to such a cabin, would move in a heartbeat if asked to accommodate a fellow cruiser.

The only concern I would have with taking a handicapped cabin would be what happens if some sort of mix-up occurs and it turns out at embarkation that a handicapped person needs to be assigned to that cabin. Now where do you go? You could wind up in something that is far from an upgrade from what you originally booked.

The idea of a handicapped cabin (as a non-physically challenged individual) would scare me for that reason. Those cabins have to go to people who need them first (rightfully so), and I don't like the idea that I could wind up anywhere if it turns out that cabin is needed for another passenger.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Very unlikely to happen.

A person with a handicap requiring an accessible cabin would not book a standard cabin, as it would not be able to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter. A standard cabin would have a threshhold in the bathroom, a standard toilet, a standard shower, etc.

So you wouldn't have, at embarkation, a person with disabilities "suddenly" needing the HC cabin. That person would have booked an HC cabin months earlier.

The HC cabins that are not booked by a certain date [a month or so from the cruise] are thrown into the mix and often a person who booked a guarantee cabin gets one.

That is why there was an HC cabin on the list TidePride was given -- it had not been booked yet, and this close to the sailing date, those cabins are released.

The only concern I would have with taking a handicapped cabin would be what happens if some sort of mix-up occurs and it turns out at embarkation that a handicapped person needs to be assigned to that cabin. Now where do you go?

That very thing crossed my mind, Rita. However, we were given a choice of 6 different SS cabins on Navigation deck, so I felt like at least ONE of those would still be available if we got bumped from 6108. Of course, now it's a moot point.

If those circumstances ever happened to us I know we'd initially ask to be put in a standard cabin setup or, if assigned to such a cabin, would move in a heartbeat if asked to accommodate a fellow cruiser.

Oh, we would definitely have moved willingly, even if it meant back to a VA cat, should this have occurred. I also agree with Oceanwench, though, it was unlikely. The only circumstances I could see where it would happen would be 1) a goof-up on HAL's part where they had booked someone who had requested a HC to a non-HC; or 2) someone who had some sort of accident right before the cruise and was temporarily and "suddenly" wheelchair confined. Neither likely events. And, again, there were enough non-HC SS's available I wasn't really very concerned about losing the upgrade.

I'm much more comfortable now with SS8090. I'm still slightly disappointed to be losing my aft balcony, but the MAIN attraction was the larger size, and the SS upgrade does get us a larger balcony than the normal VA or VB cat.

Speaking from the point of view of someone whose DH requires an HC room: People with disabilities who require an HC room typically book ahead and book with a TA. Usually you cannot book an HC cabin online.

What a person needing an HC would do is look at the deck plans, target the room(s) that are accessible, and go from there. He/she would make sure his/her TA knew of his/her needs.

When the reservation is confirmed, the cabin number is on the document. The person would know if he/she had the right cabin number. And when the actual docs arrive, again the person would check to make sure the cabin number is correct.

A person who is truly in need of an HC cabin would never let a slip-up occur, as it would mean he/she would not be able to go on the cruise!!! We always cross all our T's and dot our I's in any transaction such as this. You can't leave those things to chance or risk a slip-up.

But I agree with the second scenario -- there could be someone who, at the last minute, has an injury that limits his/her mobility and requires him/her to use a wheelchair. Unlikely, but it could happen.

We were in 8088 on W for B2B recently & LOVED the space -- only thing was ours connected to 8086 & so the door between 2 cabins replaced the 1st closet. The other 2 closets were fine for 2 of us (man & woman), but I don't know how 3 would manage!! There are lots & lots of drawers & we didn't use half of them!! One closet has hanging for shirts or shorts & several shelves for life jackets & safe. The other closet for us had the bar for hanging up high and I had several longer dresses, but there was a foldup shelf option to make that closet have 2 bars for hanging shorter items.

YOu may want to check if 8090 is "connecting" to 8092 and decide if you want to give up 1/3 of the closet space. (See Revneal's photos of cabin!)

Cruisin Kay, thanks for the advice. Yes, 8090 connects to 8092. I had already considered that. I think we'll be fine. The "third" is my 20-year-old son and he won't have anything at all that needs to be hung except his tux. Same with DH. Even my formals are polyester (not anywhere near as tacky as it sounds!) and could be folded if necessary as they don't wrinkle. We're packing fairly light with regards to clothes - it's "stuff" we're overloaded with!

With all the drawer/shelf space in SS, you will be fine then. We used the door space to store snorkel bag, shoes, etc.

(Of course we had enough clothes with us for 2 wks without having to send out laundry.)

It's amazing how much more space there is in the SS over a reg balcony!!

Please tell me how you found the exact stateroom sizes (and verandahs) for each of the cabins you were offered. All I have ever seen are approximates (all the same for each cabin class). Thanks & congrats on the upgrade.

Please tell me how you found the exact stateroom sizes (and verandahs) for each of the cabins you were offered. All I have ever seen are approximates (all the same for each cabin class). Thanks & congrats on the upgrade.

Those are the numbers my TA gave me. I agree, I haven't been able to find them for myself.

Very unlikely to happen.

A person with a handicap requiring an accessible cabin would not book a standard cabin, as it would not be able to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter. A standard cabin would have a threshhold in the bathroom, a standard toilet, a standard shower, etc.

So you wouldn't have, at embarkation, a person with disabilities "suddenly" needing the HC cabin. That person would have booked an HC cabin months earlier.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know how this sort of thing works. I know on one of my cruises, I had booked an inside guarantee and wound up in what I believe was a handicapped cabin. The toilet was very high and the bathroom didn't have many shelves. There was a step up to get into the bathroom, though, and a wider than normal doorway. I guess if there's a handicapped person in there, they put up some sort of a ramp leading into the bathroom?

But, in that case, I certainly did not request a handicapped cabin, and couldn't understand why they put me in one. Guess now I understand.

Blue skies!

--rita

Archived