Back to cruising after 8 yrs and traveling Solo

I has been eight long years since i have taken a cruise. I am finally traveling again and very excited about my upcoming cruise on the Navigator of the seas this November. Due to various reasons I am traveling Solo for the first time. There have been so many changes to RCI i am a bit overwhelmed. Is there anything that I should be aware of with RCI? With so many changes RCI has made I am at a loss. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am a Diamond member with RCI and discounts and coupons will be made available on my sea pass card i was told. Also, is it better to purchase extras on the ship or to purchase them before i go excursions, drink packages things like that.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Here is the most recent "what's changed" thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2520361

Thank you. I read through that and seems there have been more changes. For someone like me who has been on land only for 8 yrs the service may still be the same just a bit more expensive. I do not have anything recent to compare it to so all should be ok. I have been reading through the cruising solo threads and I think that is what I am more anxious about but I am giving it a go and seeing what happens. I love meeting new people and hoping to meet people on the trip. In the past you really do not have the chance since you pay more attention to your group then anyone around you.

Enjoy that solo cruise. You will love it.

I hope so. I am really nervous. I have been trying to read all the threads on it and blogs. I am nervous but willing to try so that is something.

:cocktail::cocktail:

I has been eight long years since i have taken a cruise. I am finally traveling again and very excited about my upcoming cruise on the Navigator of the seas this November. Due to various reasons I am traveling Solo for the first time. There have been so many changes to RCI i am a bit overwhelmed. Is there anything that I should be aware of with RCI? With so many changes RCI has made I am at a loss. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am a Diamond member with RCI and discounts and coupons will be made available on my sea pass card i was told. Also, is it better to purchase extras on the ship or to purchase them before i go excursions, drink packages things like that.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ReneeR323.....without getting into specifics, I'm curious to know if you thought solo cruise prices were that bad. I've read about really outrageous single rates. Enjoy the really long Diamond Happy Hours. :cocktail:

Pretty much all my cruises right now are solo as I can't get my schedule and my friends' schedules to line up. For a solo traveller I suggest late traditional dining at a large table. They usually try and seat solo travellers/ friends travelling together at the same table. I've met some great people that way. Also remember if you don't feel comfortable with your table mates - ask to be moved. They don't always get it right the first time but if the maitr'd knows you're travelling solo, I've found that they try and look out for you. Another suggestion if you're into trivia go to the trivia sessions. They have teams with up to 6 people and usually I just show up and see who wants an extra. Again met some great people that way. Depending on the sailing, the diamond lounge cocktail hours can be a nice way to meet people and chat. But I find that is always a little more hit and miss.

Enjoy - you'll have lots of fun!! :D

Pretty much all my cruises right now are solo as I can't get my schedule and my friends' schedules to line up. For a solo traveller I suggest late traditional dining at a large table. They usually try and seat solo travellers/ friends travelling together at the same table. I've met some great people that way. Also remember if you don't feel comfortable with your table mates - ask to be moved. They don't always get it right the first time but if the maitr'd knows you're travelling solo, I've found that they try and look out for you. Another suggestion if you're into trivia go to the trivia sessions. They have teams with up to 6 people and usually I just show up and see who wants an extra. Again met some great people that way. Depending on the sailing, the diamond lounge cocktail hours can be a nice way to meet people and chat. But I find that is always a little more hit and miss.

Enjoy - you'll have lots of fun!! :D

This is all great advice! Definitely sit at a group table in the MDR. You will meet so many friends that way. Traveling solo is super - you can do what you want to do wherever you want to do it. I'm married but I've taken TONS of shore excursions alone because my hubby didn't want to do them. I had a wonderful time on all of them, while he had a wonderful time on the ones he wanted to do. When you are standing on the deck on embarkation and watching the ship pull away, with a glass of champagne in your hand, you can talk to anyone standing next to you because everyone is just having fun. You are empowered. Have a super trip!

Cruise-y

I too have not cruised in a long time

I'm solo also

Go for it take your time

RCI site easy to maneuver IMHO

Just sit have a cup of coffee and check the threads and your roll call and the RCI site

It's half the fun of going

In a real pickle just call RCI their people are knowledgable and very helpful and I have found if they don't the answers they will put you to someone that will

Cruzgryphon

Your advice is perfect

The trivia is exactly where I plan to meet people and feel comfortable

And have some laughs too

Great advice thanks

Happy Cruising

Nikki