La Cucina and Moderno (0r whatever the Brazilian place is called)

timkatmom

We were on the Pride of America June 24-July 1 and ate at both of these restaurants. Moderno was excellent. They had a very extensive salad bar that could have been dinner. We ate way too much of all the delicious offerings that were there. Even the bread that was brought to the table was hard to resist. Each type of meat was good, some we liked better than others, but certainly none that we would tell you to avoid. It was an outstanding dinner experience.

We also enjoyed La Cucina. I didn't think that I would be impressed with an Italian restaurant, but I was wrong. There was a pasta course in between the salad and main entree, so it was like having two entrees. Each course was delicious. My husband and I each ordered different things for each course and had at least a bite of each other's choice. I ordered a shrimp entree (forgot the name of it) and the description mentioned a spicy sauce. I really don't enjoy spicy, so the waiter offered to have the chef lighten it up for me. It was perfect. Everything was very good. Again, nothing to avoid.

I am not sure if things are always identical ship to ship, but based on our experience, I would not be afraid to try anything on either menu.

Anybody have recommendations for a certain dish? Or what to avoid? (Sun)

The wording of your question makes me suspect that you aren't aware of how Modern works. You don't order specific dishes, but all the meat is brought round and you can take or leave whatever you want. Just look at each one and decide if you want it or not, or just try a little if you aren't sure.

In La Cucina, I agree that the Osso Bucco is usually excellent. It's one of my favourite dishes on the whole ship.

In La Cucina, I agree that the Osso Bucco is usually excellent. It's one of my favourite dishes on the whole ship.

My favorite.

A few years back my wife an I were invited to dinner with Alain, the Hotel Director, on the Dawn. We had our meal at La Cucina. He ordered the Osso Bucco, so I figured he must feel it is good. I ordered it too. Awesome, I order it every cruise now.

The "Salad" bar in Modern is my favorite aboard ship.

We ate in la Cucina on the Getaway and the Escape and had 2 completely different experiences. On the Getaway it was slow (over 2.5 hours) and the food was cold when it finally appeared. The chicken parm was lousy (out local Italian joint was better) and we even had the chef come out and apologize and send us a bottle of wine. We decided to try it agin since we had the UDP on the Escape the following year and the food was delicious. I remembered the gnocchi being very good and the deserts were memorable. 2 totally different experiences ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums