Dephi Greece

MISTER 67

If you are thinking of a ship excursion offered on a port day in Athens, then I doubt it. Delphi is a long, long drive.

I also did a daytrip to Delphi from Athens but I left very early in the morning (around 7am) and returned around 8pm. Even then, I could have used more time in Delphi.... Many people recommend an overnight tour there.

If you are thinking of a ship excursion offered on a port day in Athens, then I doubt it. Delphi is a long, long drive.

I also did a daytrip to Delphi from Athens but I left very early in the morning (around 7am) and returned around 8pm. Even then, I could have used more time in Delphi.... Many people recommend an overnight tour there.

Thanks, I think it's about a 3 hour trip there and 3 back. The cruise we are looking at is in Athens from 8AM to 11PM so we would have time to spare. That would probably give us 4-5 hours in Delphi, I'm sure the tours would get us back in time to have dinner even if it's in the Buffet.

We took a tour from Athens to Delphi in 1985. They are still available. Viator lists a number of them, for instance: https://www.viator.com/Athens-attractions/Delphi/d496-a650

Thanks, I just checked them out and if the ship doesn't offer a tour, we will go with Viator though we would prefer the ship having a tour as the ship would not sail until the tour is back.

Thanks, I think it's about a 3 hour trip there and 3 back. The cruise we are looking at is in Athens from 8AM to 11PM so we would have time to spare. That would probably give us 4-5 hours in Delphi, I'm sure the tours would get us back in time to have dinner even if it's in the Buffet.

With such a long time in port, you may be in luck -- I hope so. Delphi is a wonderful site.

Be sure to go in the museum (just a few steps from the site) as well. There is a sculpture there possibly by Lysippos and a very early bronze statue of a charioteer, both fabulous.

Hopefully if you go via the ship they won't make you stop for a half hour each way in one of the tatty villages (Arachova or Levadia) -- an hour's time wasted.

Hopefully if you go via the ship they won't make you stop for a half hour each way in one of the tatty villages (Arachova or Levadia) -- an hour's time wasted.
The forced shopping stops are one of my main gripes with almost all ship's tours.

Our stop was the worst - a fur coat shop. The shop did not make a sale.

I just checked the tours offered by HAL on our trip this fall. We're not in Piraeus as long as you apparently will be, but they do not offer a tour to Delphi. Our cruise has a very active roll call, with tours privately arranged in almost every port. Many of the companies being utilized have guarantees to get you back to the ship on time. Most of the tours are far less expensive than the cruise-line offerings. I'd suggest you join the Roll Call for your cruise and see what's there.....

Our stop was the worst - a fur coat shop. The shop did not make a sale.

When Russia first became Russia again, I was looking forward to buying a fur coat in Moscow. I looked, and I looked -- and while many of the Russian women were wearing furs -- I found only one furrier. I finally asked one woman, who was wearing a particularly nice coat, where she had purchased it. She said, 'Greece.' It turned out that Russia exported the skins to Greece where they were made into coats. Perhaps that is still the story?