Any advice on tanning beds?

RizzoLee

ValCat84-I could easily see how someone could get addicted to it; it was like lying on the beach with no sand and for a fraction of the price! I started last Wednesday for 9 minutes-got slightly burnt on the front of my torso. Toned it down on Saturday for 8 minutes-got weird welt-like bumps on my sternum, and now I'm peeling there too! Went today for 8 minutes-nothing unusual yet. I plan on going 3 x week for the next 4 weeks, I do look noticeably darker already, I want to look 'natural'-not hideously dark. I'm actually almost as dark as I normally get during the summer already, lol.

irishnewfie-As above, I've tanned anywhere from 8-9 minutes each time. I burnt at 9 minutes on the liedown bed-went down to 8 minutes twice now, and am going to back up again since I've got a base. 11 minutes and no colour??? Have you been using an accelerator or spoken to the staff there? I'm going back on Friday, I will check out the make of their bed then for you. I'm also going to start using the stand up after 3 more visits, maybe you should give that a try? It's supposed to be stronger than the liedown.

Where do you live in Ontario? If it's around Mississauga give my place a try. :)

ValCat84-I could easily see how someone could get addicted to it; it was like lying on the beach with no sand and for a fraction of the price! I started last Wednesday for 9 minutes-got slightly burnt on the front of my torso. Toned it down on Saturday for 8 minutes-got weird welt-like bumps on my sternum, and now I'm peeling there too! Went today for 8 minutes-nothing unusual yet. I plan on going 3 x week for the next 4 weeks, I do look noticeably darker already, I want to look 'natural'-not hideously dark. I'm actually almost as dark as I normally get during the summer already, lol.

irishnewfie-As above, I've tanned anywhere from 8-9 minutes each time. I burnt at 9 minutes on the liedown bed-went down to 8 minutes twice now, and am going to back up again since I've got a base. 11 minutes and no colour??? Have you been using an accelerator or spoken to the staff there? I'm going back on Friday, I will check out the make of their bed then for you. I'm also going to start using the stand up after 3 more visits, maybe you should give that a try? It's supposed to be stronger than the liedown.

Where do you live in Ontario? If it's around Mississauga give my place a try. :)

Good luck to ya, enjoy your tan and your upcoming trip :)

My wife and I always tan before a cruise starting a month in advance. We get a bronzer lotion called "Sun Dreams" that works very well. We always start off with 10 minute sessions and build our way up to the full 20 minute sessions.:)

If you go to a reputable tanning salon, they can school you in how to tan safely. Just remember, you are trying to get a base tan first...then the deep tan on your cruise.

Roast & toast and have fun on your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Hiya neighbour.. :) I am just curious as to what type of bed you used for the 1st time..

Sorry for the long wait in reply! I checked it out yesterday, and they use 'Sonnen Braunen' for the lie-downs, I used the stand up for the first time yesterday, but didn't notice the name of it.

• 3 weeks later...

As a previous poster also stated, I have had multiple basal cell carcinomas removed (back, shoulders, face). The most recent happened after a series of tanning sessions at a salon. Unlike most other BCCs I have had, these TWO came up very quickly after my tanning bed experience. It (tanning in a salon) may work for some people but obviously not for me. It doesn't stop me from going outside (see the hat in my picture?:cool: ) and I have two cruises booked this year. I simply take extra precautions now- SPF, hat, limited exposure yada yada and I enjoy myself immensely:)

Thanks to everyone who posted-I'm back as you can see (though they had to drag me off the cruise screaming). I got a little darker naturally while gone, and did not get burnt at all. :D We did not have the best weather, but my DBf managed to get burnt, whereas for the first time I didn't! :D

And the racoon eyes are gone too. ;)

Has anyone tried the tan where you are "sprayed" and your natural skin color decides how dark you will get along with how much she sprays on. It is sugar cane based and suppose to have no ill effects.

I may try this next week, if I do I will let you all know how it is. It does not protect your skin from the suns effects and is done for cosmetic purposes only. It also washes off in 1-2 weeks.

Let me know if someone else has done this and how long it lasted.

• 1 year later...

There is a lot of good science that shows that not only are tanning beds not as bad as the sunscreen companies want you to think they are, but that direct UV exposure to your skin in moderate amounts (more for darker skin) is essential to your health and well being, primarily due to the facultative production of Vitamin D3 that protects you from many types of cancer and a myriad other debilitating conditions that will shorten your life if you religiously use sunscreens and otherwise hide from the sun.

The sunscreen manufacturering industry is worth 700million dollars a year in the United States. That is more than the tanning industry is worth and the primary reason we only hear what their marketing has to say. The truth is, that the human being was not meant to live in a cave, and that the sun is essential for our well being. There is no science that backs up the claim that sunscreen prevents CMM (cutaneous malignent melanoma), while there is good science that shows that not only does moderate UV exposure NOT increase your risk of getting CMM, but that regular UV exposure and the developement of melanin (your tan) may actually save your life if you happen to have a genetic predispostion to developing CMM.

"Tan skin is damaged skin!" This longtime warcry of the sunscare industry is FALSE!!!!!! TAN SKIN IS PROTECTED SKIN. Tan skin is skin that has developed its ability to protect itself from the burning effects of the sun. Tan skin is also an indicator that you are getting enough UV to have produced the Vitamin D3 that is nature's wonder hormone, readily produced in the proper amount, by your skin, that is essential to your long term well being.

TANNING BEDS ARE A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT THAT ALLOW YOU TO TAN AT A PACE THAT WILL PREVENT BURNING WHILE ALLOWING YOUR SKIN TO PROTECT ITSELF.

I have worked with the FDA for many years to ensure that tanning salons are using the correct UV lamps in their tanning beds and to educate the salons in responsible tanning bed usage. The dirty little secret of the FDA is that they have allowed the sunscreen manufacturers to make any claim they want conserning skin cancer, because nobody has proven that the chemicals used in sunsreen are carcinogenic. While excessive UV exposure can cause carcinomas that are 99.9% treatable, the science is showing that sunscreens are most likely the cause of the triple in CMM cases in the last 10 years, even though fewer people are spending time in the sun. The sad fact is that people that avoid the sun and still get CMM are much more likely to die than the people that spend a lot of time in the sun prior to developing CMM.

One passing thought; look at the behavior of the American Cancer Society, (for instance, putting their name on an add paid for by nutrogena in July of this year, that inferred that using sunscreen WILL prevent CMM)one can see that these people are not concerned with preventing cancer from happening, but rather with ensuring that everyone that gets cancer knows where to go to pay for elite doctors who in turn are paid by pharmacutical companies to administer western medicine, aka 'lots of drugs and chemicals'.

• 3 years later...
There is a lot of good science that shows that not only are tanning beds not as bad as the sunscreen companies want you to think they are, but that direct UV exposure to your skin in moderate amounts (more for darker skin) is essential to your health and well being, primarily due to the facultative production of Vitamin D3 that protects you from many types of cancer and a myriad other debilitating conditions that will shorten your life if you religiously use sunscreens and otherwise hide from the sun.

The sunscreen manufacturering industry is worth 700million dollars a year in the United States. That is more than the tanning industry is worth and the primary reason we only hear what their marketing has to say. The truth is, that the human being was not meant to live in a cave, and that the sun is essential for our well being. There is no science that backs up the claim that sunscreen prevents CMM (cutaneous malignent melanoma), while there is good science that shows that not only does moderate UV exposure NOT increase your risk of getting CMM, but that regular UV exposure and the developement of melanin (your tan) may actually save your life if you happen to have a genetic predispostion to developing CMM.

"Tan skin is damaged skin!" This longtime warcry of the sunscare industry is FALSE!!!!!! TAN SKIN IS PROTECTED SKIN. Tan skin is skin that has developed its ability to protect itself from the burning effects of the sun. Tan skin is also an indicator that you are getting enough UV to have produced the Vitamin D3 that is nature's wonder hormone, readily produced in the proper amount, by your skin, that is essential to your long term well being.

TANNING BEDS ARE A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT THAT ALLOW YOU TO TAN AT A PACE THAT WILL PREVENT BURNING WHILE ALLOWING YOUR SKIN TO PROTECT ITSELF.

I have worked with the FDA for many years to ensure that tanning salons are using the correct UV lamps in their tanning beds and to educate the salons in responsible tanning bed usage. The dirty little secret of the FDA is that they have allowed the sunscreen manufacturers to make any claim they want conserning skin cancer, because nobody has proven that the chemicals used in sunsreen are carcinogenic. While excessive UV exposure can cause carcinomas that are 99.9% treatable, the science is showing that sunscreens are most likely the cause of the triple in CMM cases in the last 10 years, even though fewer people are spending time in the sun. The sad fact is that people that avoid the sun and still get CMM are much more likely to die than the people that spend a lot of time in the sun prior to developing CMM.

One passing thought; look at the behavior of the American Cancer Society, (for instance, putting their name on an add paid for by nutrogena in July of this year, that inferred that using sunscreen WILL prevent CMM)one can see that these people are not concerned with preventing cancer from happening, but rather with ensuring that everyone that gets cancer knows where to go to pay for elite doctors who in turn are paid by pharmacutical companies to administer western medicine, aka 'lots of drugs and chemicals'.

I know this topic is years old, but I used to be a self-proclaimed "tanorexic", belonging to a monthly unlimited club at my local salon. I loved tanning and then after increased pressure from family (many, many e-mails from a nervous grandmother with links to melanoma websites) I decide to stop tanning. It's been over 2 years since I set foot in a tanning salon...I want to feel like I've done a good thing, but I miss it. I planned on tanning for a month or two before vacation and I think this post makes me feel okay about that decision!

• 4 months later...

Unless it's June or July, we go to the tanning bed before we cruise, just for a nice base. We tan easily so we usually go every other day, the week before we go, so it just amounts to 3 sessions. We figure it is better than getting burned on the first day, plus it enables us to be in the sun longer throughout the cruise.

• 4 months later...

Archived