Eclipse in October Canaries from Southampton questions

Brookefairway

hello

We have never sailed celebrity before and were thinking of this intinerary. What should we expect for weather? Will it be warm enough to swim? Also we read somewhere leaving out of Southampton the waters could be rough coming and going.(bay of biscay, atlantic??) Is this usually the case? thanks

hello

We have never sailed celebrity before and were thinking of this intinerary. What should we expect for weather? Will it be warm enough to swim? Also we read somewhere leaving out of Southampton the waters could be rough coming and going.(bay of biscay, atlantic??) Is this usually the case? thanks

The area you describe as 'can be rough' is spot on. It can be rough as you cross the Bay of Biscay at any time of year....We cruise a month before you to the Azores and I will take Dramamine day 1/2 as a just in case (better to be safe than sorry!). This short stretch of possibly unsettled water would not put me off the itinerary.

Weather early in the cruise could be wet and blustery but as you near Spain, Portugal and the Canaries it will warm up.

There is an indoor adult pool area called the Solarium you can enjoy if the outside pool is cooler earlier in the cruise.

In terms of weather I would pack a fleece for cooler days on deck and a lightweight waterproof. We have visited the Canaries several times late October and enjoyed lovely sunny weather. Not as hot and humid as the Caribbean but very pleasant. In the evenings if you are on deck you may want your fleece but indoors you will be fine (although many find the air con cool). The Canaries in October can have an odd downpour....we have only experienced these in the evening.

The sea around the islands is cooler than the sea in the Med and definitely cooler than the Caribbean but you will see lots of people enjoying it still! The ships pools should be pleasant to swim in when moored in this area. If you have not visited any of the islands before they do offer some great sightseeing opportunities to volcanic parks, scenic vistas...

As first time Celebrity cruisers you are in for a treat. It is a lovely line with wonderful staff. I hope you enjoy! You do not say where you are from. If you are flying into the U.K. look at combining it with at least a few days pre and post cruise to enjoy a bit of England. If you are from the UK traffic can be quite difficult and unpredictable around the Southampton area. Strongly recommend unless you live locally you travel down the day before.

Edited by chemmo

We did this itinerary last year in October and alas we weren't overly lucky with the weather in that we had quite a few overcast days with several which were warmer. I have always been fortunate with the Bay of Biscay and the Eclipse does seem to handle the seas very well. I am glad I have done the itinerary but wouldn't repeat it - unlike the western Med which I have done a good few times now. The highlight of the trip (save for the Eclipse itself and its great staff) was a whale and dolphin watching trip we went on in Gran Canaria. Madeira was interesting - if hilly..... and we enjoyed the overnight stay in Lisbon which is a lovely city. September would probably see you more guaranteed weather.

We are booked on the 8 Oct cruise from Southampton and we can't wait, we have done this cruise before on the Eclipse in 2010 and had a great time, we went on the 20 Oct that year and had warm weather most days, although some days were overcast but still warm. It was obviously cooler as we came back up to Southampton but we didn't have any issues with rough seas. We have opted to go a little earlier this year.

There can be some swells in that Atlantic area but as someone has already said the Eclipse handles it very well.

It is a lovely cruise to do, we found it quite 'easy', there is plenty to do near the ship in each port and plenty more to see and do if you want to venture further.