NCL Norwegian Getaway - Baltic Capitals: July 9 - July 18 (combined)

4 of Harts

Hi there is a HOHO bus right at the port that NCL is in cahoots with but outside the gate there is another HOHO bus that is quite a bit cheaper...we took the cheaper one , whereas my husband and son took the shuttle ( they bought the tickets right there at the shuttle ) ...All things considered I would probably take the shuttle ...you can walk to most sights from the shuttle stop ..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you Patty. The shuttle certainly seems the easiest thing to do. One more question-Where do you sign up for the shuttle? Can the concierge (we will be in the Haven) make a reservation or guest services? Or on the TV screen?

Thank you Patty. The shuttle certainly seems the easiest thing to do. One more question-Where do you sign up for the shuttle? Can the concierge (we will be in the Haven) make a reservation or guest services? Or on the TV screen?

I purchased them at Guest Services at the same time that I purchased the Copenhagen airport shuttle.

I hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread but I'm just back from the Baltic cruise, 18th July. I won't review the whole trip as this one is brilliant but will add a couple of points to help anyone planning this cruise. It may not be in any particular order...

Firstly we are from Scotland and only wore jeans and cardigans/jumpers on the last sea day, but if you are used to warmer weather you might want to be prepared.

We boarded in Copenhagen and took a taxi to the pier - 271 Danish Krone at 11.15am and there was no queue. We walked straight onto the ship. Our rooms were ready at 1.30pm.

We booked our dining packages and meal times straight away as we wanted to se our on board credit.

Travelling as a pair we only had to queue for dinner once in the 9 days.

Both days in Russia we did afternoon tours and left the ship at 12.30. we were through to the bus by 12.45pm

In Tallinn we took a taxi which we shared to the top of the old town at a cost of 15 euros, fixed price. we then explored and walked down through the town, stopping for a coffee. Then we took a taxi back from the bottom of the old town for 10 euros. This was lovely and you really don't need the hop on hop off bus.

In Stockholm we used the NCL 15 dollar transfer and explored the centre of the city, again exploring the old city for about 2 and a half hours before heading back.

we did not go to Berlin as we had ben before so we headed into Rostock which was lovely and then enjoyed a lovely quiet ship!

We did not pre book any shows and got seats on standby with no difficulty, just arriving at about 2 minutes before the show started.

On our return we used the NCL transfer which we booked in advance - £12 in the UK. It was quick and easy. There was a huge line for taxis and not many there but there may have been a quick turn round as we couldn't wait to see.

Any questions, just ask.

Day 8: Stockholm (Nynashamn)

Today was our last port day, our last tour of the trip :(. I have read that at one point the ship was intended to dock in Stockholm but from the time I booked the cruise awhile ago it was always listed as Nynashamn. This port is about 45 minutes from Stockholm so we decided to do the City Highlights & Leisure Time bus tour thru NCL. On this tour we would visit the Vasa, the infamous ship that sunk on it's maiden voyage. I had read about this years ago so it would be a highlight.

The ship "docked" at 8:00am. We were meeting at 7:45am in the theatre and were to leave shortly after arriving and getting the all clear. It was nice that with all of the ports that we didn't have to use a tender at all. This dock was the most unusual as it was motorized and it came out from land like a long reaching arm to the ship. Going off the ship it was calm so the pier was smooth walking. Once returning the weather had changed and the pier was rocking a little but it still was very stable feeling. We exited the ship at about 8:10 and were on our bus and on our way.

First impression of Sweden is that it is beautiful with the water, the islands, the quaint houses and then later the countryside and rolling hills. Like all of the cities and tours I wish that we had more time on land. But, in hindsight going to 6 countries is just plain awesome, so no complaints.

The coach was very nice with a great cool temperature and smooth riding. The guide spoke wonderful English and he described the sites and the country flawlessly. (so I'm told for most of it at least, I was napping). Waking up we arrived at the Vasa Museum.

continuing... The Vasa is very cool and I recommend it for anyone. Two things I highly suggest is the movie in the front. Go see it first, it gives you the background for what you are seeing. It's 15 minutes or so. Squeeze it in. Also, on the bottom floor are a few skeletons that they discovered as well. They did facial reconstruction on the skulls and it is really cool. A must see.

Hopping back on we were on our way to Gamla Stan, the old town, the original area of Stockholm. Seeing the sights we got a great guided tour on the way and then another 10-15 minutes once we arrived. The area that they drop you off (and pick you up) is central to everything in the area. Down the hill, the way most people went, there were shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. It was lunchtime and we were ready for... Italian... Italian... no... we trudged onto a Swedish restaurant called Carpe Diem, eating outside. The old town has very few cars and such but on the edges are larger streets that have tons of traffic. We ate Swedish meatballs and had Swedish beers. The cost was a bit high and the food and beer was good.

Finishing up lunch we went back up the hill and were treated to the changing of the guards. This seems to be a common event and many people report seeing it. It was pretty neat and we moved on. Walking around further as we had still a couple of hours left we fell upon a really cool bar called Café Sten Sture. Dating from the 1400's this series of caves is full of history. The stairs are a bit tricky (go in the side entrance, not the main entrance) and you are transported back to when it served as a dungeon. I highly suggest doing this for lunch but if not at least for drinks. Beers and deserts later we were on our way. It's fun...I suggest doing it.

We roamed the streets for some more time than back on the bus, finding our way in less than an hour to the dock and to the Getaway, our home for over a week. Down the pier thru the wind we made our way off of land for the last time. A little sad but very happy in our memories. Sweden (Stockholm) was an unexpected treat.

Tonight I had planned two dinners for the Tropicana dining room. One at 5:30 and one at 8:30. Why you ask? Well, my thoughts were that we were back around 4:30pm and the ship wasn't leaving until 7:00pm. Not knowing how we would be feeling I scheduled both. We opted for the 5:30 as we were getting hungry and cancelled the 8:30 with the front person at the Tropicana. Another good meal in the Tropicana with some music from Into the Drift.

Beers on deck 15, checked out the deserts (grabbing a few cookies) at the Garden Café and relaxing on the balcony. If possible try to time a good view with the 7:00 departure. The Nynashamn area is full of islands and beautiful scenery. Tomorrow is our last day, our 2nd day at sea. Good night and goodbye Sweden

I hope you don't mind me hi-jacking your thread but I'm just back from the Baltic cruise, 18th July. I won't review the whole trip as this one is brilliant but will add a couple of points to help anyone planning this cruise. It may not be in any particular order...

Firstly we are from Scotland and only wore jeans and cardigans/jumpers on the last sea day, but if you are used to warmer weather you might want to be prepared.

We boarded in Copenhagen and took a taxi to the pier - 271 Danish Krone at 11.15am and there was no queue. We walked straight onto the ship. Our rooms were ready at 1.30pm.

We booked our dining packages and meal times straight away as we wanted to se our on board credit.

Travelling as a pair we only had to queue for dinner once in the 9 days.

Both days in Russia we did afternoon tours and left the ship at 12.30. we were through to the bus by 12.45pm

In Tallinn we took a taxi which we shared to the top of the old town at a cost of 15 euros, fixed price. we then explored and walked down through the town, stopping for a coffee. Then we took a taxi back from the bottom of the old town for 10 euros. This was lovely and you really don't need the hop on hop off bus.

In Stockholm we used the NCL 15 dollar transfer and explored the centre of the city, again exploring the old city for about 2 and a half hours before heading back.

we did not go to Berlin as we had ben before so we headed into Rostock which was lovely and then enjoyed a lovely quiet ship!

We did not pre book any shows and got seats on standby with no difficulty, just arriving at about 2 minutes before the show started.

On our return we used the NCL transfer which we booked in advance - £12 in the UK. It was quick and easy. There was a huge line for taxis and not many there but there may have been a quick turn round as we couldn't wait to see.

Any questions, just ask.

No prob on "hijacking" the thread. I would just call it collaboration. Cheers :beer-toast:

Day 9: Day at Sea (2nd)

The last day of any cruise is met with reflection and a touch of sadness. We woke up mid morning going upstairs for our regular breakfast at the Garden Café. The girls would do a final workout later. We would also do the Ropes Course that we just haven't been able to fit in. Dinner was scheduled for Taste but we knew that we would opt out and go buffet or O'Sheehan's.

I had pre-purchased the Copenhagen shuttle to the airport. We were Gray 3 which meant that we would be off the ship around 9am giving us plenty of time for our flights. The night before you put your bags out by midnight. Remember, once they are picked up, they are gone. Don't be that person in their jammies departing the ship :o

We went up for the ropes course and found out due to wind only half was open. My advice, do it early so you get to do all of it. The half that we did was fun, max 300 pounds. You cannot have anything in your pockets and they won't hold anything for you. We did 2 then 2 so that we could get photos of each other in the course. Fun time, again, do it earlier in the cruise.

Overall an easy day, with snacks, naps, collecting and packing. At night we did the Howl at the Moon. Finished off the night with drinks (our free bottle of bubbly) on the balcony.

A nice chill way to end the cruise. Tomorrow, up and out.

Day 10: Copenhagen

We awoke at 4am with the cabin stewards yelling at us to get out. You have been here long enough! Ok, that was a joke.

The morning started with us reviewing and purchasing our photos. It opens at 7am. Heading up to 15 we (my youngest and I) grabbed food for all. Showers, dressed and waited for our call. Eventually we got the call around 8:45. Our bags had already been moved to the airport so we grabbed our carry ons and backpacks and headed off. Simple process card checking one last time.

Onto the shuttle for a nice easy drive thru Copenhagen and to the airport. Stopping just outside of the airport we retrieved our suitcases in the NCL area where they were housed. A quick walk over to the terminal... and sadly... our cruise was.... over.

It was amazing.

Hi. Really nice review. Thank you again. My question goes back to Helsinki. Were the NCL shuttles the only alternative that you were aware of to get from the port to the town? I am still planning Helsinki. I read about a HOHO tram you can pick up from a train station. Diane

You need to check where the ship docks, but assuming its in the same place there is a tram stop on the other side of the ship, 5 mins walk, just follow the blue line on the pavement. You can't miss it. Day tickets are available for €8 and valid on all trams and buses.

Google maps app is your friend when it comes to public transport planning. It makes it very straightforward.

You need to check where the ship docks, but assuming its in the same place there is a tram stop on the other side of the ship, 5 mins walk, just follow the blue line on the pavement. You can't miss it. Day tickets are available for €8 and valid on all trams and buses.

Google maps app is your friend when it comes to public transport planning. It makes it very straightforward.

Thank you for that great tip! Now I have a really dumb question. How does Google Maps work in Europe? I use it in the US all the time, but do I need to do anything to the settings in my phone to avoid a lot of extra charges for using Google maps? (We are going to get an international package for texting). I have an iphone. One more topic to research.

Thank you for that great tip! Now I have a really dumb question. How does Google Maps work in Europe? I use it in the US all the time, but do I need to do anything to the settings in my phone to avoid a lot of extra charges for using Google maps? (We are going to get an international package for texting). I have an iphone. One more topic to research.

I bought Skyroam WiFi hotspot to use as I will be in Europe for three weeks and need it for my classes and my business. It cost less than $300 CAD, they deliver the device to my hotel I'm Copenhagen and I return it by courier my last day in Iceland. I have also heard there is some WiFi reception on the Baltic so I can use it even when sailing, not just in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but I do not even know what a hotspot is[emoji851]! I have to get my head around what to do with my phone. I need to do a thread search.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can google Skyroam and it will describe it in detail for you.

You can download offline maps in Google maps for when you don't have data avalible or have it turned off cause you are trying to limit its use. I just downloaded all mine for this trip when I take it on the 14th.

Thank you. I will do that.

I bought Skyroam WiFi hotspot to use as I will be in Europe for three weeks and need it for my classes and my business. It cost less than $300 CAD, they deliver the device to my hotel I'm Copenhagen and I return it by courier my last day in Iceland. I have also heard there is some WiFi reception on the Baltic so I can use it even when sailing, not just in port.

Are you saying you'll be able to get 4G speeds even at sea (in some places). Can anybody comment on the speed of the "free" 250 min internet that comes with NCL's select a perk?

Are you saying you'll be able to get 4G speeds even at sea (in some places). Can anybody comment on the speed of the "free" 250 min internet that comes with NCL's select a perk?

No I am not saying that. I am saying that I heard, 2nd hand, from someone who recently took this same cruise that they had reception in some areas of the Baltic while sailing. Our experiences may differ.

No I am not saying that. I am saying that I heard, 2nd hand, from someone who recently took this same cruise that they had reception in some areas of the Baltic while sailing. Our experiences may differ.

Thank you for your info. I'll look into the device. Thank you :D