Wine Experts, Help Please

no more sommeliers on board

First I had heard of that.

Our last Chefs table there was a sommelier, or claimed to be.

He certainly knew his wines.

Following. If your purchasing the drinks package then try every wine that is included till you find one you like.

Why bring your own if you have already paid for a package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First I had heard of that.

Our last Chefs table there was a sommelier, or claimed to be.

He certainly knew his wines.

Following. If your purchasing the drinks package then try every wine that is included till you find one you like.

I think the Chef's Table has the only sommelier on board.

Slyster - A quick tip when looking at a wine list: Wines are listed from sweetest to driest. The wines at the top may not be as sweet as you like, but the wines at the bottom most certainly will not be!! Hope that helps a bit!

Great information ! I'm a wine lover, do not like sweet wines and had no idea the list order was related to the sweetness of the wine. Thank you for sharing that ! Cheers !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may be a bit of a leap but if you like sweet wines I suggest going online and ordering from a vineyard in St. Helena, CA. (Napa Valley). The name of the vineyard is V. Sattui, and they make a wine called Gamay Rouge. It's under the Rose catagory. take a chance on this one and you will not regret it.

This may be a bit of a leap but if you like sweet wines I suggest going online and ordering from a vineyard in St. Helena, CA. (Napa Valley). The name of the vineyard is V. Sattui, and they make a wine called Gamay Rouge. It's under the Rose catagory. take a chance on this one and you will not regret it.

Thank you for the suggestion! I do not like red wines like my wife does, but we have shared some rose wines and that looks delicious!

Based on the list above, if you want an easy, forgiving red, stick with pinot noir.

If you want adventure, try a malbec. But they can be hit or miss.

White wine-wise, we tend to drink a lot of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. Sweet, friendly. Don't confuse it with the Kendall Jackson Cabrenet.

Thank you. My wife has ordered pinot noir before. I believe it's one of her preferred, but she always seems to ask the server for anything in the sweet category LOL

Stop by a bar and ask for wine glasses. Pour your wine into glasses in your cabin and carry it to dinner with you in the glass. You won't be charged a corkage fee if you do that. It is only charged if you carry the BOTTLE into a a public area. You can even carry in 2 glasses each if you wish.

Stop by a bar and ask for wine glasses. Pour your wine into glasses in your cabin and carry it to dinner with you in the glass. You won't be charged a corkage fee if you do that. It is only charged if you carry the BOTTLE into a a public area. You can even carry in 2 glasses each if you wish.

Not a bad idea!

DW is a sweet wine drinker. Likes moscato 'd asti. Riesling isn't sweet enough.

I'm expecting to spend some time shortly after boarding at Vintages on our upcoming Oasis trip.

Of course she likes a sweet froo-froo drink with an umbrella too.

That's me too! But I do like the Riesling.

Guest maddycat
So I have never been in vintages. Is there any kind of dress code?

No, it's just a wine bar. A bit fancy, but just a bar.

The ship may not have the wine you really like, may have it only by the bottle (not by glass) and the drink package only covers up to $12-14 (quite a few are above that).

Edited by Biker19

If they do have Jam Jar, try it or buy a bottle before you go. It's a sweet Shiraz. I like sweeter wines, but don't want them sticky sweet. This one has lots of flavor without being cloyingly sweet. I hope they have it on my next cruise, but I'll definitely bring a bottle with me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums