Car Rental Seattle after cruise.

Moriah

After our Alaska cruise in September, our returning flight is at 11 PM, so we have a whole day before we have to go to the airport... and our idea is to rent a car, do some side trips (we've already seen the city of Seattle many times), and return the car at the airport. From what I've seen, Alamo and Enterprise will shuttle from the ship to their downtown location to pick up a car, but if we return it to a different location (ie the airport) they want almost $100 added to the price of the daily rental! Ouch! So now I'm thinking we rent the car for about $35 and just take a taxi from Alamo downtown to the airport at the end of the day? That will probably be around $60... am I being silly? Should we just take a taxi to the airport from the ship and get the rental there? Has anyone rented a car just for the day at the end of a cruise and returned it to the airport and can give us some tips?

Since you are planning on sightseeing outside the Seattle downtown area, I would take a taxi from the ship to the airport in the morning and get your rental car there.

We rented from National, at the airport dropped off downtown Seattle no drop off fee. Plus they took us to the port at no charge.

We rented from National, at the airport dropped off downtown Seattle no drop off fee. Plus they took us to the port at no charge.

We are renting after the cruise, not before... and it looks like they want to charge us quite a bit to pick up after the cruise at their downtown location (which they take us to in a shuttle from the ship) and then drop off the car at the airport that night...

Still hoping someone will reply who has done this? (rented after the cruise and taken a late flight...)