Food Allergy

HodgeNNicole

Just booked our first Disney Cruise. Have cruised many times in the past just not Disney and now we have a 3 year old son. It is time to expose him to the amazing world of cruising. That being said the little guy is very allergic to nuts. I would imagine this is nothing new to the crew but I was wondering if there is a special wristband or something that alerts the crew of the allergy.

Any feedback would be welcome.

We have an allergic daughter. Have cruised on Disney 7 times with only one "event". Disney is pretty good handling allergies. No wristbands to identify an allergic child. Be sure to communicate your sons allergy to the Maitre D and waiter. Also, let the Oceaneer club personnel be aware of his issue. There is a lot of hand washing going on. Just keep up your usual guard up.

First, list the allergy on the "special needs" form which you can get on line at the DCL web site. THen, when you board, make sure the server and head server are aware of the situation. Each time you go to a sit down restaurant for lunch or breakfast, they ask for your table number. Why? Because if you have an allergy situation, your room number will flash red on their screen so that they are sure to notify your server for that meal. If you opt to eat at the buffets, you will need to notify the CM at the podium. Typically a head server or chef will walk thru the line with you, indicating to you what is not safe. In addition, they will get his food from unopened dishes kept in the back to avoid any cross contamination on the buffet line.

Note the allergy when you do the on line kid registration, and repeat it when you check him in each time at the Oceaneer's Club.

One thing you do need to be aware of--some people with nut allergies are so sensitive that they can't have chocolate chips manufactured in the same factory as peanut butter chips. The staff is not always cued into this and would consider the chocolate chips a "safe" food.

A 3 year old should not be getting any food without an adult around, except perhaps if you leave him in the OC during meals or the cookie baking time. If it were my child, I just wouldn't have him in the OC during those times. And I'd tell the CMs in the OC that he is not permitted to have anything there except water. But no, there is no identifying wrist band.

Thanks for the tips. The good news is he will only eat what he is used to. It is very hard to get him to try new stuff and he really eats pasta, veggies and chicken. We are trying to get him to eat new things but it is coming along very slowly. If you give him a cookie or ice cream it is like you are trying to poison him LOL. I wish I had the same reaction....

We are not cruising till next spring so anything can change by then.

Thanks for the tips. The good news is he will only eat what he is used to. It is very hard to get him to try new stuff and he really eats pasta, veggies and chicken. We are trying to get him to eat new things but it is coming along very slowly. If you give him a cookie or ice cream it is like you are trying to poison him LOL. I wish I had the same reaction....

We are not cruising till next spring so anything can change by then.

I remember the cruise at about age 7 where the dinner order every night was "Mickey Noodle Soup and chicken fingers." Since she was the number 2 in the cabin, I was paying adult fare for this diet! Then the server learned that she loved broccoli, so there was a side of steamed broccoli each night. Ah well......

Disney is spectacular with allergies and attention to cross contamination. With my mother, the chef came out and talked with my mother about her allergy, asked what dish she would like, and told her that she would cook the dish herself from beginning to end and keep it in her possession to prevent cross contamination until she personally delivered it to my mom from the kitchen. We were quite impressed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app