Sigh - Sad question about your experiences with Silversea Trip Cancellation

curiousx

My travel partner was just in a horrid accident and will be hospitalized for some time owing to multiple fractures pretty much everywhere. We're pretty devastated.

We have a cruise planned for October. So even though the injuries might have healed by then, the 'pre-existing condition' clause of our insurance will mean there will be no medical or trip interruption coverage should anything else develop that could be attributed to the accident.

Right now, we are completely covered by trip cancellation insurance for all our prepaid expenses (which is most of them). So unless my partner wants to take the big risk of travelling without complete medical coverage, cancellation appears to be the only option.

We are thinking, though, that a mutual friend might be interested in replacing my travel partner on the trip. In your experience, would Silversea be amenable to doing this as a straight swap, or would there be additional charges related to the cruise or the cruise air?

If a straight swap - or something similar - can't be arranged, then the options are for both of us to cancel or for me to carry on as a solo traveller, noting that the insurance company would fully reimburse my partner, and that the suite has been fully paid for already (albeit for two people).

I look forward to learning about your exoeriences, sad as they may be. Thank you.

What came first?

If you bought the insurance before your partner had the accident, you didn't have a pre-existing condition. In that case you should be covered. It isn't relevant if the accident happened after you bought insurance as you cannot foresee the future. That is after all, what insurance is for.

EDITED: If however your partner has specifically been advised not to travel, then you wouldn't be covered.

I hope your partner makes a full recovery.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

What came first? If you bought the insurance before your partner had the accident, you didn't have a pre-existing condition. In that case you should be covered. It isn't relevant if the accident happened after you bought insurance as you cannot foresee the future. That is after all, what insurance is for..

YES!! Great questions and point by Jeff. The timing makes a big difference for what is covered. Or, not?? Tell us more background. Best for a speedy recovery.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,101 views for these postings.

The coverage came first and is a comprehensive ongoing plan that carries on from year to year covering all trips taken within each year. Because the coverage was in place at the time of the accident, all expenses incurred prior to the accident will be reimbursed.

According to the insurance company, however, the injuries from the recent accident are now a 'pre-existing condition' in relation to the trip scheduled for the fall. So, if we decide to go on the trip, the pre-existing condition clause will eliminate coverage should anything occur during the trip that is related to the current hospitalization. (Coverage would still be in place for any medical occurrences NOT related to the current injuries and hospitalization)

To elaborate, the pre-existing condition clause requires that one be "stable" for 90 days prior to a trip in order for coverage to be in effect (stable meaning, among other things, '"no hospitalization"). The fall cruise is within this 90 day window so the condition cannot be met, at least with respect to anything arising from the accident.

Doctors have not yet pronounced on the issue of whether my partner will be 'safe to travel' or not. That's irrelevant, however, to the insurance company's requirement.

That said, my question is less about the insurance and more about experiences as to whether Silversea, faced with cancellation of one passenger in a suite for medical reasons, would allow a friend of the cancelling passenger to take over that person's suite and cruise air arrangements. And, if so, are there additional charges?

I hope this clarifies...and welcome any more questions you might have, as well as learning about your own experiences in such a situation as the one we face.

Thanks for your observations, help, and best wishes!

Edited by curiousx

It does.

Have you considered asking SS whether in these particular circumstances you might cancel the trip for both of you and use the charge against a future cruise you might take outside the 90 day period. Ask through your TA if you have one or directly. It would in effect be better for them if you did rather than carry the risk of your partner needing help during the cruise.

Would this be a better option if they offered it?

It does.

Have you considered asking SS whether in these particular circumstances you might cancel the trip for both of you and use the charge against a future cruise you might take outside the 90 day period. Ask through your TA if you have one or directly. It would in effect be better for them if you did rather than carry the risk of your partner needing help during the cruise.

Would this be a better option if they offered it?

This is one of the options we are looking at through our TA.

This is one of the options we are looking at through our TA.

Call me sentimental, but this would be a great result for you both and I do so hope your TA can make it happen for you. SS really should agree to this and heapo kudos to them if they do. Fingers crossed for you both and for the recovery. :)

• 2 months later...

Well, we tried our best but Silversea was adamant and would not let us transfer our payments to a future cruise. We are not out of pocket owing to private travel insurance, but this is certainly not the outcome we wanted. My travelling partner is recovering nicely. Thank you for all your advice and support.

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear your travel partner is doing well, but I fear I'm being thick and missing something.

If you aren't out of pocket, then why would you have preferred to be locked in to a future cruise instead of a refund from your insurance? Were you hoping for a refund and a credit against a future cruise?

er no - we just wanted Silversea to hang on to the $$ we had paid and allow us to apply it to a future cruise to be determined. Nothing complicated or nefarious about that is there? And certainly a lot easier for us than all the paperwork required for a insurance claim.

Aaaaaah, I see. I didn't really think you thought you were entitled to a free cruise (but what you said sort of implied... ). Unfortunately (for you), having to make an insurance claim is the way it works.

However, now you have ultimate flexibility in what you do with the money!