One beverage card for all

What behavior do you mean? Saving money? Not allowing the cruiseline to overcharge me? What are my kids supposed to do, each buy a card?

What are you supposed to do? I don't know, maybe NOT drink soda? You know, you will live if you don't have a soft drink in your hand every second. And it is also probably better for your kids as well.

You know, you will live if you don't have a soft drink in your hand every second.

Oh Yeah - I will die if I don't have a glass of booze in my hand - yes - every second :eek: - I want a booze card :D - just for me - no sharing - no cheating - just me - oh yeah - one card for me and Katie - we will swap it out - rip off the cruise lines - drive up the prices - they will make their profit one way or another - It's the American way. :D:D:D

It's stealing. The cards are for one person. It doesn't matter how little the product costs, there's a price tag and you chose whether to BUY or NOT BUY. Making your own rules is not following the rules, it's cheating.

Where do you draw the line, jasrub, on what's cheap enough to steal and what isn't? Washcloths are cheap, do you take them? Handtowels not much more expensive, how about them?

If you don't drink enough soda, folks, to make the card worthwhile, then buy sodas buy the glass or can, and pay for what you use.

And if you want to cheat/lie/steal, go ahead, but don't think you can justify or rationalize it here. There are rules and if you break them, you're stealing.

Frickin' entitled people.

YES!!!! It IS wrong. What is so hard to see about this? It is wrong to go to an all you can eat buffet and only pay for one while two eat, so it is wrong to buy an "all you can drink" beverage for one while two drink.

Why can't anyone see this? Why does everyone insist on using the ol' "well, they overcharge anyway..." or "...they arent' losing any money...". While those MAY be true, IT DOESN'T MAKE IT OK!!!!!!!!

Wait...what?!! If noone is losing money...why is it not okay?

And sorry soda cards are different from all you can eat buffet's because the buffet is a one time seating and you are paying for a one time meal. The soda card is all or nothing. I can't see paying for 7 days of unlimited soda for my sister and I both when we both go 2 and 3 days at a time without drinking soda.

Also come on...we are talking about SODA!!! The 1/2 gallon beverage we can get at 7-11 for under $1. This in no way compares to the cost of food at buffets. That comparison is lame.

If you don't drink enough soda, folks, to make the card worthwhile, then buy sodas buy the glass or can, and pay for what you use.

quote]

On a cruise ship I prefer the sticker because its easier (no signing for anything). Also push comes to shove they get more money because I don't want that small inconvenience because even together I don't believe we would drink enough to pass the complete daily soda allowance.

Hey look at that I am paying them extra for my sister and I to both have 1 soda a day (cumulatively).

Done! I just love a good debate I am not really that serious about this subject. :D

I have noticed that in life: often what we know to be ethically correct, and what we actually do in certain situations, are often two totally different things.:rolleyes: A soda card, most likely intended by the ship to be used for a sole individual to have unlimited beverages, should be used for that purpose only. But the minute I read that one member said using for the family was a money saving tip, I thought... what a great idea!:D Who am I to judge? But isn't using it that way just like sneaking stuff into the theatres to eat and drink? I mean, they charge way too much anyway, right?? We shouldn't have to put up with outrageous prices. And soda is just about the cheapest thing on the ship, besides water. And maybe it should be free, c'mon, supply and demand... they only charge so much because they know we want it!:mad: But, it isn't ethical. It isn't right. And if you asked a crew member if it was allowed to use the unlimited card for an entire family or group of friends, the answer would be no.:( Just llike when we were kids and our parents had rules, and we broke them because we thought they were stupid rules... it didn't mean we were right.

Just my opinion, not judging, and I think everyone should think about how many times you've snuck a snack and quit being mean:p.

mamaof6k

(Mom of 6 kids)

Inspiration 12/05

Mama: Are there rules against bringing food into a theater? Not that I'm aware of.

The soda cards are meant for one person. If more than one person uses, then there's a rule being broken.

Folks set their own levels of what rules they want to obey. We've had this discussion 50 times here at Cruise Critic over the past 5 years. I'm shocked I haven't seen the "don't you ever drive 3 MPH over the speed limit?" reply yet.

Just because one rule is broken, or because "it really doesn't cost them much" , doesn't mean it is ethical to share a soda card.

There are rules on the cruiselines we take. If we want unlimited soda, we travel on Disney, or we buy soda cards for each person who wants unlimited soda. Otherwise, you're breaking the rules.

Set your own rules for what's ethical, folks. Don't try to rationalize or justify it to others, though. You chose what kind of society you want to live in, and how you want to raise your kids.

Wait...what?!! If noone is losing money...why is it not okay?

And sorry soda cards are different from all you can eat buffet's because the buffet is a one time seating and you are paying for a one time meal. The soda card is all or nothing. I can't see paying for 7 days of unlimited soda for my sister and I both when we both go 2 and 3 days at a time without drinking soda.

Also come on...we are talking about SODA!!! The 1/2 gallon beverage we can get at 7-11 for under $1. This in no way compares to the cost of food at buffets. That comparison is lame.

Two things. First, you say no one is losing money, I disagree, but with your logic, the movie theater isn't losing money when you sneak in, so is that ok? It is basically the same thing, you aren't "taking" a product, you just aren't paying them what you owe.

And secondly, the cost of the food at a buffet in no way compares to the cost of a new car, that being said, it MUST be ok to steal the food at the buffet. And the cost of a new car in no way compares to the cost of a new airliner, so it MUST be ok to steal the new car, right? You can't justify stealing by saying that other things are more expensive, that argument comes up each time this discussion happens, and each time it is wrong.

Stealing something that costs 5 cents and stealing something that costs thousands of dollars is still stealing.

I might be wrong, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am, but aren't soda syrup and popcorn like one of the cheapest things for restaurants to purchase, and provide the most in revenue compared to how much it cost to purchase?

Does that make sense? (It does in my head, but not so much written down.)

If I were a restaurant (ship), I would rather people share soda cards, than for people to bring their own alcohol on board and lose the potential for something like $7-$10 drinks.

Again, I'm not making the case for either side, but pointing out the inconsistency for some people's stance on soda card sharing, and sneaking alcohol on board.

I can see your point but don't fully agree. People that don't want to pay for a drink simply won't, whether they have a bottle back in their cabin or not.

Personally, I've never been on a ship that prohibit's bringing alcohol aboard for consumption in one's own cabin. We do buy drinks from the bar and we also sometimes like to have a drink in our cabin before dinner. (We always end up leaving over half the bottle) I've been on Oceania and Princess. Princess has a really smart way of handling it. You can pre-order a bottle from them and have it waiting in your cabin when you arrive. I ordered Grey Goose Vodka and Princess' price was only a couple bucks more than duty free and alot less than my local liquor store. I thought it was a win-win. They made money and I didn't have a schlep a bottle from home or airport duty free. I do bring along my own diet cranberry juice because no ship carry's it.

Yetti, The fact that the cruise ship doesn't check isn't the issue. I buy a newspaper at my corner newstand and there's a dish to throw the money into. Should I not pay if the guy's not watching me and checking to see if I put my money down? Based on your theory that would be acceptable.

As someone else pointed out, a card is for one person's unlimited drinks. Please, don't pretend you're unaware of that. Based on your theory, why not everyone on the ship just buy one card for all passengers? It's stealing and you're teaching your kids that it's an okay thing to do. You came on here to enlighten others how they too might get away with buying soda's for the whole family with one card.

The funny thing is, the amount of worktime productivity lost in this thread alone is probably costlier than all the soda this guy's family drank.

Get over it people. It's morally wrong to misuse the drink card, knowing full well what it was intended for. On the other hand cruise ships are behaving particularly seedy when they hide the true cost of the cruise by charging for soda.

The cost of fountain soda is literally pennies per gallon. They charge $45 dollars and up for the simple reason that people that are addicted to caffeine will pay any exhorbenant price they throw at them. Its not right, but it's there ship, they can be scrooges if they so desire.

Me? I'll pay the price for the soda card, because there's no way I will enjoy 7 days at sea with no caffeine, I don't drink coffee, and I can manage the loss of $45 or so.

I will how ever be stowing away alcohol. Its simple economics with me on this. I'll still buy drinks at the bar, but at $6-9 dollars a drink, my bar tab could be costlier than the cruise itself if not subsidized by some in-cabin beverages. (keep in mind I'm a 20 something trying to party through 4 years of aquired collegiate stress). So I will bring some basic booze along.

I'm not under any assumptions that it is the right thing to do, but its the only way for me to fully enjoy this cruise. Don't worry about the cruise line though, it'll be okay. I promise you that every dime I don't spen d on alcohol will be funneled straight into ship board activities and shopping. I'll deal with the ramifications of a maxed out credit card when I get home.

Archived