Sawyer Glacier 2017

lolo6223

We're heading out on the Sun in 36 days and wanted to check to see if the other Alaskan Cruise were able to see Sawyer Glacier? I know last year that most of the cruises had to skip Sawyer because of the weather and spent longer time in Juneau. Just wanted to see if that was the case this year too?

When we were picking our cruise last year i had seen on a lot of threads from last season that the weather was bad in Sawyer Glacier and a majority of the NCL stayed in Juneau later. I was just wondering if that was the same case this year.

When we were picking our cruise last year i had seen on a lot of threads from last season that the weather was bad in Sawyer Glacier and a majority of the NCL stayed in Juneau later. I was just wondering if that was the same case this year.

I'm far from an expert but I would guess that just hanging out longer in a port (or arriving earlier - some cruises do the glacier followed by Juneau) would be the least desirable option from NCL's perspective, but maybe someone else who knows will comment.

It wasn't the cruise lines choice. The high amount of ice around Sawyer Glacier caused them to change course last season. Multiple threads last season stated that they also had to switch to Sitka instead of Skagway. It happens because of the weather, just wanted to make sure it wasn't the case this year.

It happens because of the weather, just wanted to make sure it wasn't the case this year.

You know what the say about the weather...just hang around a few days, it'll change.

IOW, the weather last week (or last year) has no bearing on the weather for tomorrow.

Ice, however, is another story.

Where did you learn that "most" cruises skipped Sawyer? All year long, not just earlier in the year? These cruises skipped both Tracy and the usual alternative, Endicott Arm?

We traveled on the Jewel exactly a year ago (last week of July) and went to Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm. At the time that was the alternative other cruises were taking too. For sure the Pearl, because the Jewel and Pearl pass each other on that day, not sure about the Sun because its a different route. The reason was too much ice in Tracy. By this point in the year most other cruises had taken that route so it was not a surprise to those of us on CC. It didn't affect our port stops or timing at all.

I will add, at the last minute I decided to do the small boat trip to the glacier. It leaves ahead of the ship then spends more time at the glacier and waits for the ship to arrive then we reboarded. It was amazing, we were really close on an open deck watching the glacier calf. Great photo opps including on the ride out there. Not sure if the Sun has a similar excursion but I recommend it if you can swing it.

We traveled on the Jewel exactly a year ago (last week of July) and went to Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm. At the time that was the alternative other cruises were taking too. For sure the Pearl, because the Jewel and Pearl pass each other on that day, not sure about the Sun because its a different route. The reason was too much ice in Tracy. By this point in the year most other cruises had taken that route so it was not a surprise to those of us on CC. It didn't affect our port stops or timing at all.

I will add, at the last minute I decided to do the small boat trip to the glacier. It leaves ahead of the ship then spends more time at the glacier and waits for the ship to arrive then we reboarded. It was amazing, we were really close on an open deck watching the glacier calf. Great photo opps including on the ride out there. Not sure if the Sun has a similar excursion but I recommend it if you can swing it.

I might have seen one of these small boat excursions but never heard of them promoted. I've only been on six or so cruises though. How did you find out about the one on your cruise? Maybe they are only offered to frequent cruises or higher-level cabins?

We cruised Alaska in 2015 and 2016. Both trips, we went to Endicott Arm instead of Tracy Arm because of ice. And even in Endicott Arm, we ended up being about 3/4 mile further out from the glacier in 2016 due to the ice in the water.

My limited experience has been that diverting to Endicott Arm isn't unusual - but it's much preferred to missing both. It was not doing either one that I was surprised at.

I might have seen one of these small boat excursions but never heard of them promoted. I've only been on six or so cruises though. How did you find out about the one on your cruise? Maybe they are only offered to frequent cruises or higher-level cabins?

It was an NCL excursion, and only could have been through NCL because we boarded the small boat through a crew passageway on a lower deck (which was also kind of cool) Open to everyone, but I would not have noticed it if I didn't read about it here.

This is the one on the Jewel, there may be a different name if they do it on other ships.

Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

See the very best of the Tracy Arm wilderness area and an exciting close-up view of the majestic twin Sawyer Glaciers. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows on a luxurious, high-speed catamaran as you depart Juneau harbor. Enjoy a variety of complimentary snacks and beverages while watching for gleaming, blue icebergs, which often mark the shallow water entrance to Tracy Arm. Explore this ice-carved fjord, tracing the bases of cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the jade-colored sea, as the onboard naturalist provides information about the area. There will be frequent stops to view wildlife. Feel the mist on your face as your Captain skillfully guides the vessel almost directly under a plunging waterfall.

The catamaran’s maneuverability will allow you to get close to North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by larger ships. You’ll then cruise slowly past seals resting atop recently carved icebergs en route to a viewing stop near the face of spectacular South Sawyer Glacier. From the topside observation deck, you’ll be able to fully experience 'white thunder,' as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. Following an extended drift near the glacier’s face, the catamaran will maneuver back into open water to pull alongside your awaiting cruise ship.

Note: We recommend participants bring a warm jacket, hat and gloves to wear on the observation deck. In the event that unpredictable and ever-changing ice conditions preclude the vessel from entering the upper reaches of Tracy Arm fjord, the tour will be modified to explore Endicott Arm, an adjacent fjord and tidewater glacier of equal beauty. Due to diminishing daylight and ice condition this tour is not available in early May or mid to late September. This tour is offered on Norwegian Jewel only.

It was an NCL excursion, and only could have been through NCL because we boarded the small boat through a crew passageway on a lower deck (which was also kind of cool) Open to everyone, but I would not have noticed it if I didn't read about it here.

This is the one on the Jewel, there may be a different name if they do it on other ships.

Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

See the very best of the Tracy Arm wilderness area and an exciting close-up view of the majestic twin Sawyer Glaciers. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows on a luxurious, high-speed catamaran as you depart Juneau harbor. Enjoy a variety of complimentary snacks and beverages while watching for gleaming, blue icebergs, which often mark the shallow water entrance to Tracy Arm. Explore this ice-carved fjord, tracing the bases of cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the jade-colored sea, as the onboard naturalist provides information about the area. There will be frequent stops to view wildlife. Feel the mist on your face as your Captain skillfully guides the vessel almost directly under a plunging waterfall.

The catamaran’s maneuverability will allow you to get close to North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by larger ships. You’ll then cruise slowly past seals resting atop recently carved icebergs en route to a viewing stop near the face of spectacular South Sawyer Glacier. From the topside observation deck, you’ll be able to fully experience 'white thunder,' as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. Following an extended drift near the glacier’s face, the catamaran will maneuver back into open water to pull alongside your awaiting cruise ship.

Note: We recommend participants bring a warm jacket, hat and gloves to wear on the observation deck. In the event that unpredictable and ever-changing ice conditions preclude the vessel from entering the upper reaches of Tracy Arm fjord, the tour will be modified to explore Endicott Arm, an adjacent fjord and tidewater glacier of equal beauty. Due to diminishing daylight and ice condition this tour is not available in early May or mid to late September. This tour is offered on Norwegian Jewel only.

That might explain why I haven't seen it (although I did once I think - and have been on the Jewel exactly once.) I'm sure it won't available for my trip on the Jewel this year (too late in the year.) Sounds awesome though - maybe another time! Thanks much for the info though!

That might explain why I haven't seen it (although I did once I think - and have been on the Jewel exactly once.) I'm sure it won't available for my trip on the Jewel this year (too late in the year.) Sounds awesome though - maybe another time! Thanks much for the info though!

Sure. Sorry to recommend something not available to the other Alaska ships! Enjoy your trip!

Recently the first and last sailings of the season for both the Pearl and Jewel have been 10 days and include extra ports like Sitka. There was also a time last year where the Sun was doing Sitka instead of one other port due to sewage issues.

Tracy Arm is known to be ice clogged early in the season - last year that "early season" lasted most of the summer. Endicott arm and Dawes Glacier became the standard route instead of the alternate.

The small boat tours are offered in various forms on other cruise lines for NCL the Jewel and Pearl have them offered - the Sun does not.