Fast Train to Rome

remharri

There is a 9:16 Frecciabianca train that takes 47 minutes direct to Rome Termini station with a base fare of €16. The 8:42 regional takes 65 minutes and is only €5. See Trentitalia website for complete schedule http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

The ship docks at 9am. Is disembarkation a fairly quick process? Just wondering how soon after we dock to book our train tickets. 11am?

The ship docks at 9am. Is disembarkation a fairly quick process? Just wondering how soon after we dock to book our train tickets. 11am?

There is no need to pre-book a regional train. If you insist to take the Frecci train, the next one is 11:16AM. Pre-booking Frecci will save you a few Euro, but then you are committed to a time. See Trentitalia website for complete schedule http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

There is a 9:16 Frecciabianca train that takes 47 minutes direct to Rome Termini station with a base fare of €16. The 8:42 regional takes 65 minutes and is only €5. See Trentitalia website for complete schedule http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

It takes only 47 min from Venice Santa Lucia station to Termini? Sweet! For some reason I thought it is a 3 hour train ride.

If you are looking at Frecce trains you really only have one option, the 11:16. The prior one is too early (9:16) and the subsequent one is too late (16:16).

If you are thinking of purchasing ahead to save money, the only real risk is if your ship is very late coming in. Two hours past should be sufficient, they're going to want to get passengers off pretty quickly in order to turn the ship around for the next cruise. Super economy fares for this trip are €9,90 vs. base (walk up) fare of €16.

If your concern is the train selling out, that's really not an issue, but if it will make you more comfortable to have the ticket in hand go ahead and buy it on line (or you can buy it at any Trenitalia station in Italy, if you have other stops in the country).

The real benefit of the Frecce train when embarking/disembarking, from my perspective, is having an assigned seat and more room for luggage than on the regional train. Furthermore, since this train doesn't make any stops between Civitavecchia and Termini there's no worries about someone getting off with your bags at an interim stop.

There is no need to pre-book a regional train. If you insist to take the Frecci train, the next one is 11:16AM. Pre-booking Frecci will save you a few Euro, but then you are committed to a time. See Trentitalia website for complete schedule http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

We took the Freeci when we were in Rome this past June. The train was very nice, clean, and most importantly, got us there fast!

Are the regional trains as nice and comfy as the Freeci trains?

Will 11:16am give us enough time if the ship docks at 9am? I know the port is next to Santa Lucia station, probably a 15 min with the people mover. What I do not know is how long it takes to disembark, go through custom, etc.

It takes only 47 min from Venice Santa Lucia station to Termini? Sweet! For some reason I thought it is a 3 hour train ride.

They are referring to the train from Civitavecchia not sure why you thought it was from Venice :confused:

Are the regional trains as nice and comfy as the Freeci trains?

Of course not, if they were why would anyone pay the higher fares for the Frecce? The regional trains are older, smaller, desperately overcrowded (on this line anyway), and there are no assigned seats.

Will 11:16am give us enough time if the ship docks at 9am? I know the port is next to Santa Lucia station, probably a 15 min with the people mover. What I do not know is how long it takes to disembark, go through custom, etc.

If you're talking about Civitavecchia yes, two hours is sufficient. If you're asking about Venice you'd be looking at different trains.