Just back from Southbound Alaska on Radiance

Thank you for the 5B land tour docs! We're doing the same land tour before the Sept 1 cruise from Seward. Do you know if the Hotel Alyeska had self service laundry?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No....sorry....we were planning on having laundry done on the ship so didn't even think about laundry at Alyeska.

Did you just do the cruise or did you do any pre/post trips?

What trips did you do in each port?

What was the entertaiment?

thanks

LB - who is going to AK next year and is reading everything they can get their hands on....

I'm going in June 2018 on Radiance out of Seward. I've actually done the southbound before on the same ship and had a great time.

I'm going in June 2018 on Radiance out of Seward. I've actually done the southbound before on the same ship and had a great time.

In Icy Strait Point I did the whale watching. Juneau I did the guide's choice hike around Mendenhall Glacier.In Skagway i did an adventure hike but both ways we caught the White Pass Train so they could drop us off and pick us up to bring us back to town.

Before this I did a 5 day land tour that started in Fairbanks. i took the Alaska Railroad on my own all the way to Fairbanks! Paid extra for the Goldstar Service which gives you an amazing open air view the entire train trip as well as a lot of extras. Check out THE Alaska Railroad web page. I can't remember what tour I took in Ketichan.

What do you mean by the ship is showing its age? We are cruising next July on Radiance.

Hopefully, OP will come back and tell you what they meant. I believe we were on the same sailing. Can't speak for them but here is what we saw/noticed. (None of which would "make or break" our trip.) Balconies had rust spots. A few spots on the hull had rust spots. Some of the elevator buttons (on wall outside of elevators) were not working. Some worn carpet that should be replaced. Some carpets that had been replaced didn't exactly "match". The netting around the basketball court looked like rats had eaten it. The mini-golf "turf" had massive"patches". The cabins still have shower "curtains". We would have hoped they would have switched to doors during the latest refurb but we guess either it is isn't "workable" due to the construction or was too costly. (The curtains we saw were clean though.) Again, nothing that would stop us from sailing this ship again and again. Most of our "aged" thoughts were "cosmetic" rather than "functional". I have posted a review on another thread but didn't even mention the "aged" issues as they weren't even something that we "remembered". We "saw" them and "commented" to each other but then didn't give them another thought so didn't even think to mention them in the review.

Hopefully, OP will come back and tell you what they meant. I believe we were on the same sailing. Can't speak for them but here is what we saw/noticed. (None of which would "make or break" our trip.) Balconies had rust spots. A few spots on the hull had rust spots. Some of the elevator buttons (on wall outside of elevators) were not working. Some worn carpet that should be replaced. Some carpets that had been replaced didn't exactly "match". The netting around the basketball court looked like rats had eaten it. The mini-golf "turf" had massive"patches". The cabins still have shower "curtains". We would have hoped they would have switched to doors during the latest refurb but we guess either it is isn't "workable" due to the construction or was too costly. (The curtains we saw were clean though.) Again, nothing that would stop us from sailing this ship again and again. Most of our "aged" thoughts were "cosmetic" rather than "functional". I have posted a review on another thread but didn't even mention the "aged" issues as they weren't even something that we "remembered". We "saw" them and "commented" to each other but then didn't give them another thought so didn't even think to mention them in the review.

That is exactly what I was talking about!! I am also used to the newer larger ships. I knew going in this trip was all about the itinerary. Whereas on the Oasis class ships, the ship is my real destination.

I figured, but I understand as well. I am a bit squeamish on the shower curtains. It has been a while since we last cruised (11 years), but we never had curtains even with Majesty that I remember. The cabins and bathrooms look extra sma'll to me, but again, it has been a long time since I cruised and have been spoiled by hotel rooms with regular 2-sink bathrooms.