Embarkation on Breakaway with Wheelchair Question

Amex2778

Hi all,

My wife and I are cruising in a few weeks from NYC on the Breakaway to Bermuda. My wife will be using a wheelchair for embarkation for a foot injury she is still recovering from. Question: does she board with a group number or is there a special needs groups (similar to airlines that allow people requiring additional time to board) to get on early or at special time. I read a bunch of posts on CC and i'm getting conflicting answers (perhaps different ports have different arrangements). Can someone help me clarify this for the NYC port? Thanks!

Hi all,

My wife and I are cruising in a few weeks from NYC on the Breakaway to Bermuda. My wife will be using a wheelchair for embarkation for a foot injury she is still recovering from. Question: does she board with a group number or is there a special needs groups (similar to airlines that allow people requiring additional time to board) to get on early or at special time. I read a bunch of posts on CC and i'm getting conflicting answers (perhaps different ports have different arrangements). Can someone help me clarify this for the NYC port? Thanks!

We sail out of NY all the time - When you enter the terminal and have cleared security you will be directed to a specific check in area and then seated with other passengers using wheelchairs and scooters - you will board as a group based on the passengers mobility issues and if assistance is needed to help board with the person in a wheelchair, just let them know and they will have a crew member help you. So no you will not board with a general group number. My husband uses a cane and it is a similar process and we are seated in an special area with other passengers that use walkers & canes.

You are correct - it can be very different in other terminals. We just came back from a cruise on the Sky to Cuba and the NCL Port of Miami terminal would really benefit from some improvements in the way they handle passengers with mobility issues - unless you speak up there really is no acknowledgment or assistance offered.

We enjoyed the trip very much but I'm glad we don't sail out of Miami on a regular basis.

We sail out of NY all the time - When you enter the terminal and have cleared security you will be directed to a specific check in area and then seated with other passengers using wheelchairs and scooters - you will board as a group based on the passengers mobility issues and if assistance is needed to help board with the person in a wheelchair, just let them know and they will have a crew member help you. So no you will not board with a general group number. My husband uses a cane and it is a similar process and we are seated in an special area with other passengers that use walkers & canes.

You are correct - it can be very different in other terminals. We just came back from a cruise on the Sky to Cuba and the NCL Port of Miami terminal would really benefit from some improvements in the way they handle passengers with mobility issues - unless you speak up there really is no acknowledgment or assistance offered.

We enjoyed the trip very much but I'm glad we don't sail out of Miami on a regular basis.

Thanks for getting back to me! Are we going to board before general boarding etc? I'm just trying to get some idea how long we'll be waiting for to board.

I am not sure what the order of boarding is for those in wheelchairs and scooters, since they are gathered in a different area.For those with canes and walkers its ahead of general boarding.

How long the wait overall is dependent on if the ship arrives back on time, clears customs and all those leaving are off the ship.

You can never be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I were on the 7/23 Breakaway sailing. We arrived at the terminal at about 11:15am. My husband used his own wheelchair. After dropping the luggage off with porters, I pushed him into the terminal. There is an area to the left where those needing wheelchair assistance wait. After giving our name to the representative, we waited about 20 minutes and a crew member came and pushed him through security, check in and onto the ship. We asked him to wheel us to the main dining room on deck 6 and he was kind enough to do so. We were eating by noon.

OP, you should be in touch already with NCL Special Needs to alert them about your DH's medical needs ... Are you bringing your own transport wheelchair?

Special needs will receive early boarding ahead of general groups by zone or numbers - most likely via the AFT gangway, not too far from the designated seating area ... do plan to arrive at MCT (pier) early. If ship is early/on-time for its weekly turnaround, expect to be heading up the gangway around 11 AM - it's a long "Z" gangway and depending on tides, could be rather steep with the incline - thus, wheelchair is best.

Crew members are assigned to assist and do the wheelchair push - to make matters easier for all, check your heavier luggage, keep essentials, meds & a change of clothes as carry-on/personal bag. You don't have to drag everything all over the ship - go to the MDR (Savor & Taste are open at noon for sit-down lunch ... without the battle upstairs at the buffet on a hectic day) - you will likely be on Deck 7 for embarkation, one floor above the MDR (be patient with the elevators, they are "small" and can be crowded with the rush). Staterooms are generally readily around 1 PM to 1:30 PM.