Are you prevented from boarding if you arrive too early?

tampadee

We've always arrived early for cruises.

I just saw in a review of Magic that he saw passengers stopped because they arrived earlier at Port Canaveral than they were supposed to. Will we actually be prevented from boarding if we arrive early? I wanted to be eating by 12 p.m. not just starting to board!!

I just saw in a review of Magic that he saw passengers stopped because they arrived earlier at Port Canaveral than they were supposed to. Will we actually be prevented from boarding if we arrive early? I wanted to be eating by 12 p.m. not just starting to board!!

When is your cruise? What is the time you selected on your boarding pass. If you have an early slot like before 11:30, then you could meet your goal, if there are zero delays with debarkation of the cruise in front of you.

The staggered check-in has been around for quite a while now and is something you can select well in advance - like 120 days or more out quite often.

You're confusing check-in time at the port with boarding time for the ship. Although there may be some variation, boarding usually starts somewhere between 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. Unless you have some sort of priority status, such as Platinum, Diamond or FTTF, you won't be allowed to enter the terminal before your selected check-in time. To borrow a line from the movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "you must choose a check-in time, but you must choose wisely".

You're confusing check-in time at the port with boarding time for the ship. Although there may be some variation, boarding usually starts somewhere between 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. Unless you have some sort of priority status, such as Platinum, Diamond or FTTF, you won't be allowed to enter the terminal before your selected check-in time. To borrow a line from the movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "you must choose a check-in time, but you must choose wisely".

I've never seen boarding as early as 10:30. Check in times, yes. 10:30-11:00 is the earliest check in time for my upcoming Glory cruise as it was before. Vista's earliest check in was 11AM. Boarding typically starts around 11:15 or later.

I've never seen boarding as early as 10:30. Check in times, yes. 10:30-11:00 is the earliest check in time for my upcoming Glory cruise as it was before. Vista's earliest check in was 11AM. Boarding typically starts around 11:15 or later.

Admittedly, it's been a few years, and maybe we were lucky. It was the Liberty (in Miami) back in 2012. Boarding began at 10:45. We were on the ship by 11:00, and sitting down for lunch on the Lido deck by about 11:15. The staff at the port had their sh - stuff together. Probably one of the smoothest embarkations we've ever experienced.

Admittedly, it's been a few years, and maybe we were lucky. It was the Liberty (in Miami) back in 2012. Boarding began at 10:45. We were on the ship by 11:00, and sitting down for lunch on the Lido deck by about 11:15. The staff at the port had their sh - stuff together. Probably one of the smoothest embarkations we've ever experienced.

Wow. Yeah never have gotten on that early. Like I said, the earliest check in time is typically from 10:30AM or later. Even when arriving that early, I haven't been able to walk right on the ship before about 11:15AM even with FTTF or being Platinum.

My "arrival appointment" says 12-12:30. Our traveling companions have 11-11:30 but they are Platinum. So I hope we can all get on earlier.

If your check-in time is 12 - 12:30 you wont be allowed in the terminal to check in before noon. From what I hear they are very strict about that.

My "arrival appointment" says 12-12:30. Our traveling companions have 11-11:30 but they are Platinum. So I hope we can all get on earlier.

You need FTTF for that or your traveling partner will join your boarding group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you are also Platinum or have purchased FTTF, you will not be allowed to check in earlier than your assigned time. You will not be permitted to check in the VIP line with your friends. Options? Purchase FTTF or have your friends wait and check in at noon with you. I recommend that you and your friends just set a place to meet on board. Let them get on earlier and save a seat for you on the Lido deck (hopefully with a drink waiting for you as well).

Just choose the earliest available check in time. They will always let you board if you're late but never if youre early

OP has already gotten their check-in time...12:00-12:30. So unfortunately, their goal of eating by noon isn't going to be met.

Here's a question that others who are more familiar with the process can answer that might eventually help the OP. On a couple occasions, I've seen people say that some of the earlier check-in time slots open up when, for instance, someone with that earlier time cancels. Is that true? If so, then couldn't the OP keep checking the check-in times to see if an earlier one opens up? I know you can change your check-in time, but do they re-release those earlier times if they become available?

OP has already gotten their check-in time...12:00-12:30. So unfortunately, their goal of eating by noon isn't going to be met.

Here's a question that others who are more familiar with the process can answer that might eventually help the OP. On a couple occasions, I've seen people say that some of the earlier check-in time slots open up when, for instance, someone with that earlier time cancels. Is that true? If so, then couldn't the OP keep checking the check-in times to see if an earlier one opens up? I know you can change your check-in time, but do they re-release those earlier times if they become available?

Yes they do. I have up upcoming Breeze cruise on October and the earliest check-in time was 11:00-11:30 so I took that. Today on reviewing my info on cruise manager I saw that 10:00-10:30 has now opened up so I changed my time to that and reprinted my boarding pass. So to the OP keep checking for an earlier time to open up but others are correct that they will not let you in early.

Yes they do. I have up upcoming Breeze cruise on October and the earliest check-in time was 11:00-11:30 so I took that. Today on reviewing my info on cruise manager I saw that 10:00-10:30 has now opened up so I changed my time to that and reprinted my boarding pass. So to the OP keep checking for an earlier time to open up but others are correct that they will not let you in early.

First-hand experience, perfect. :)

So there you go, OP, check your cruise manager often to see if one of the earlier check-in times opens up. Keep in mind, your platinum friends can check in anytime they want, even before their 11-11:30 time. So you can even try to get a hold of a time slot earlier than theirs.

The earlier you check in, the lower the boarding zone number you will be assigned. They'll begin by boarding wedding parties, diamond/platinum, suites, and FTTF. Then start general boarding by zone number. Your friends can go on ahead when platinum is called or wait for your zone, if they want to wait for you.

First-hand experience, perfect. :)

So there you go, OP, check your cruise manager often to see if one of the earlier check-in times opens up. Keep in mind, your platinum friends can check in anytime they want, even before their 11-11:30 time. So you can even try to get a hold of a time slot earlier than theirs.

The earlier you check in, the lower the boarding zone number you will be assigned. They'll begin by boarding wedding parties, diamond/platinum, suites, and FTTF. Then start general boarding by zone number. Your friends can go on ahead when platinum is called or wait for your zone, if they want to wait for you.

This is true. But for some ships 11AM is the earliest time slot so you need to know what the first one is because there's a good chance if you arrive at 10AM, and the first time is 11AM, you will be waiting outside for an hour for D/P/FTTF/Suites that can arrive "anytime".

Hypothetical question....Carnival opens up a checkin time of 4-430 am....it's only a group of 50 people and you have to arrive between 4-430 am....if you come out 431, no dice....you can't get on the ship until it's has cleared customs and has been disembarked from previous cruise, etc and that should be around 1130 am, but you are the first group to board and your room is ready....do you do it? Wait in the terminal 7+ hours but you get on the ship first?

No.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Hypothetical question....Carnival opens up a checkin time of 4-430 am....it's only a group of 50 people and you have to arrive between 4-430 am....if you come out 431, no dice....you can't get on the ship until it's has cleared customs and has been disembarked from previous cruise, etc and that should be around 1130 am, but you are the first group to board and your room is ready....do you do it? Wait in the terminal 7+ hours but you get on the ship first?

I think that it may be time to GIVE IT A REST.

Well, that sounds like a perfect way to start your vacation (n) Why would anyone want to do that?

I actually have gone to just picking a 1:30p check in time---zip right through to check in--board immediately and can go right to the room to drop our stuff off. No FTTF fees and no dragging stuff around waiting for our rooms. Stress free start to our vacation :)

Well, that sounds like a perfect way to start your vacation (n) Why would anyone want to do that?

I actually have gone to just picking a 1:30p check in time---zip right through to check in--board immediately and can go right to the room to drop our stuff off. No FTTF fees and no dragging stuff around waiting for our rooms. Stress free start to our vacation :)

The perfect way to start a vacation bingo, I totally agree with your mindset!!!! I tell people to board later to avoid the herds in the terminals. At 1:30-2 pm, the terminal is a ghost town. Room is ready and believe it or not, the buffet still has food and they are still serving the DOD [emoji33]

This is true. But for some ships 11AM is the earliest time slot so you need to know what the first one is because there's a good chance if you arrive at 10AM, and the first time is 11AM, you will be waiting outside for an hour for D/P/FTTF/Suites that can arrive "anytime".
Well yeah, but it won't offer the OP a time slot any earlier than what the terminal allows, will it? So they can pick the first one or one equal to their friends and board together.

First & Ten is just fishing for someone to argue with. They're here merely to start trouble because they hate FTTF and get their kicks from making fun of people who enjoy getting on board as soon as possible. Except for diamond/platinum cruisers who like to get on board first. For some reason, their desire to get on early is somehow different from everyone else's and they don't get attacked. Probably because F&T knows that wouldn't go over well on these boards. Next thing you know, havingfun2010 will be here to tag in. F&T has always said they board late. That way, the lines for check-in are gone and by the time they get to the Lido buffet, the crowds are gone. But in other threads, they claim that they always experience the madhouse of the Lido buffet on embarkation day with luggage piled everywhere and getting ran over by luggage. Their story changes to fit their intended argument. Edited by Organized Chaos