Are you prevented from boarding if you arrive too early?

tampadee

We have faster to the fun and our check in time is 11 to 11:30 AM for our carnival vista cruise. So is that the earliest we can check in? Whats the typical boarding time for Vista?

That is the earliest check in time for Vista. Boarding will commence when the previous passengers are off the ship and it is cleared by customs. Typically starts around 11:15AM or later. It just depends.

Hypothetical question....Carnival opens up a checkin time of 4-430 am....it's only a group of 50 people and you have to arrive between 4-430 am....if you come out 431, no dice....you can't get on the ship until it's has cleared customs and has been disembarked from previous cruise, etc and that should be around 1130 am, but you are the first group to board and your room is ready....do you do it? Wait in the terminal 7+ hours but you get on the ship first?

No, I would not. I can tell you if they made the same offer at 7:30 am, I would do it. Not because I wouldn't wait 7 hours, I once spent 13 hours at the Denver airport due to flight cancellations. I'm not up that early. I am up at 6 am on embarkation day, so 7:30 would fit in fine. I have a book, headphones, a phone with music and Netflix, an Ipad with movies downloaded, and my laptop. Sitting there is the same to me as killing time at the hotel. I don't care about being first, I'm just up and ready, so why not? In full disclosure, I would need to know in advance that I can get or bring coffee. Without coffee, maximum wait time is 90 minutes.

By the same respect, what does it matter to you what I think. I don't care what time anyone gets on the ship. I do think it's humorous when supposedly grown mature adults lose their minds and act like 8 yr olds. They will post things like "I cruise in 3 months and I can't get FTTF, I check multiple times a day and still can't get it. I don't know if I can cruise without it, what should I do"? These are apparently grown adults posting stuff like this [emoji849] I just try to reassure people that without FTTF, while it may be inconceivable, you can still have a great cruise without it

Want to discuss the dress code for the MDR next? [emoji57]

I have never purchased FTTF in my life. I am grown and mature and like to get on the boat early. There you go lumping me in as being immature because I like to get on a ship at the time that I signed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Herd mentality are the people lining up in the terminal, stacked like cattle. I agree they have the same outlook of....GOTTA GET ON THE SHIP FIRST....I AM A FIRSTIE!!!! I wasn't being critical, just making an observation. As far as being cheap, I never used the word cheap in regards to this thread. I never said Firsties were cheap. I don't know if you are cheap or not. I have called people who remove their tips "cheap". Now I am sure there are cheapskate Firsties out there, but I don't know if that is you or not. I never said a noob can't express an opinion. I personally place more emphasis on the opinion of the cruiser who has 21 or 22 cruises than someone who has 1 or 2 when it pertains to cruising, but a noob can express here, I never said they couldn't. Don't attribute to me what you "think" I typed. Try to focus, if you can, on what I actually type.

I did. You "actually typed" that people who want to get on the boat early have a "herd mentality." I wanted to clarify, as someone who does strive to be on the boat as early as possible, that I do NOT make my decision to want to get on early based on any "herd mentality," and I think I can pretty confidently say that MOST of the early boarders have other reasons for wanting to get on the ship early, NOT a "herd mentality." I have never heard anyone say, or seen anyone post, that that is their reason for wanting to board early. I didn't say you said I was cheap. I said I don't mind if you say I'm cheap. It would be more accurate than saying I have a "herd mentality-" which is not accurate at ALL.

Wrong again!!!! I never said I ALWAYS HAVE boarded late. I mostly board late now, due to the chaos and herd mentality of the early birds and Firsties....bingo was spot on, I wasn't starting an argument with her, I was agreeing with her as what she describes is a good way to start your vacation. Helps minimize stress. There you go stalking my posts again....As a blue card newbie, I realize you haven't cruised that much and your expertise hasnt yet been developed. Don't fret, you may get there one day....it takes time noob [emoji16]

If I took this out of context I apologize. I know this comment wasn't directed at me, but the idea that someone has to have a high number of cruises to understand how to board, just seems odd to me. There is a lot to learn from you and others about cruising, but with all respect, boarding is not complicated.

"what she describes is a good way to start your vacation."

No, it is a good way for you and her to start your vacation. I don't mind waiting, and I don't care about what others who arrive early are doing. If there is shoving and fighting, my wife would need to point it out to me, I wouldn't even notice. Headphones are a wonderful thing.

Helps minimize stress

When our group number is called, we wait in our seats, or if they make us get up we stand against a wall, until our entire group is lined up, then we get in the end of the line. I am in no hurry. The goings on does not stress me out, not my pig not my farm. In fact, I find getting an early start removes potential stress. I am a big believer in leaving time for things to go wrong. Left something in the car and need to go back to hotel, no problem. Computers are down at check in, no problem. Van from hotel breaks down, no problem. If I arrive at 2pm, there is time for one problem. If I arrive at 11am, there is time 4 problems.

"I realize you haven't cruised that much and your expertise hasnt yet been developed."

My arriving early, is not because I haven't seen enough, or I need to be first, it's simply my preference. Again, I am not in a hurry, I'm just up. So why not go ahead and get to the terminal? I love cruising, and hope to get into the 20's one day, but this habit will not change as that number rises. Unless, I give up morning runs, and start sleeping in.

I did. You "actually typed" that people who want to get on the boat early have a "herd mentality." I wanted to clarify, as someone who does strive to be on the boat as early as possible, that I do NOT make my decision to want to get on early based on any "herd mentality," and I think I can pretty confidently say that MOST of the early boarders have other reasons for wanting to get on the ship early, NOT a "herd mentality." I have never heard anyone say, or seen anyone post, that that is their reason for wanting to board early. I didn't say you said I was cheap. I said I don't mind if you say I'm cheap. It would be more accurate than saying I have a "herd mentality-" which is not accurate at ALL.

Do you like standing in a crowded terminal?

If I took this out of context I apologize. I know this comment wasn't directed at me, but the idea that someone has to have a high number of cruises to understand how to board, just seems odd to me. There is a lot to learn from you and others about cruising, but with all respect, boarding is not complicated.

No apologies needed. I never said understanding the boarding process is contingent on how many cruises one takes. What I said was I give more weight of the opinion of a cruiser that has cruised 21 or 22 times than one who has cruised 1 or 2 times, as it applies to cruising. One poster took that to mean that I said the multiple cruiser was "better" than the noob or semi noob cruiser. That is an asinine stretch of logic

By the same respect, what does it matter to you what I think. I don't care what time anyone gets on the ship. I do think it's humorous when supposedly grown mature adults lose their minds and act like 8 yr olds. They will post things like "I cruise in 3 months and I can't get FTTF, I check multiple times a day and still can't get it. I don't know if I can cruise without it, what should I do"? These are apparently grown adults posting stuff like this [emoji849] I just try to reassure people that without FTTF, while it may be inconceivable, you can still have a great cruise without it

Want to discuss the dress code for the MDR next? [emoji57]

But why do you seem to care so much if people want FTTF? Why does it seem to bother you? Were you next in line at Guest Services one day when a FTTF passenger waltzed up to the counter when it was finally your turn? Did a FTTF passenger bump you off a tender? Why such hate and venom spewed towards the "Firsties" as you condescendingly call them? Just let them (us, I got mine!) enjoy getting on the ship early and mind your darn business. :)

We've always arrived early for cruises.

I just saw in a review of Magic that he saw passengers stopped because they arrived earlier at Port Canaveral than they were supposed to. Will we actually be prevented from boarding if we arrive early? I wanted to be eating by 12 p.m. not just starting to board!!

Are you DIAMOND or PLATINUM? If not, you must follow your assigned boarding time when you completed your boarding documents.

In the event you bought fttf status then you may board after Diamond and Platinums.

No apologies needed. I never said understanding the boarding process is contingent on how many cruises one takes. What I said was I give more weight of the opinion of a cruiser that has cruised 21 or 22 times than one who has cruised 1 or 2 times, as it applies to cruising. One poster took that to mean that I said the multiple cruiser was "better" than the noob or semi noob cruiser. That is an asinine stretch of logic
Actually, what you said was "As a blue card newbie, I realize you haven't cruised that much and your expertise hasnt yet been developed. Don't fret, you may get there one day....it takes time noob." And you said it in direct relation to comments regarding early/late boarding. So please tell us how that translates to "What I said was I give more weight of the opinion of a cruiser that has cruised 21 or 22 times than one who has cruised 1 or 2 times, as it applies to cruising." Because those are two drastically different statements. Why try to spin what you actually said when it's there for everyone to read? Don't you stand behind what you say? You go around posting all of those sad little name-calling comments, which is something you do often, then try to deny you're implying you're better than newer cruisers. You understand the contradiction there, right?

Let's address what you said about the "weight" of new & long-time cruisers. If I'm able to answer all of the same questions correctly as someone who's been cruising for years, what's the difference? If the person asking the question gets the correct answer from me, my answer holds no less weight than someone with 20 cruises. I'm glad I can help and when I do, they're not hung up on how long I've been cruising. So why are you? Cruising isn't rocket science, and maybe it's difficult for you to understand, but there are a lot of aspects to cruising that can be learned in a very short time. Sorry if you feel threatened by that.

Edited by Organized Chaos

Aaahhhhhh, that's right. Everyone gets a trophy. We wouldn't want to reward people for loyalty or for whatever a company decides to do for it's customers for fear it might offend or upset others. I forgot. My bad :rolleyes:. Maybe the government should step in and create some more laws to prevent such discrimination.

Lol. Love your post.

Because in a perfect society, everyone is equal.
Nope: Just posting on Cruise Critic.

I wasn't insinuating that the system should be changed. I was merely pointing out that the people who come on here to put down cruisers who like to get on board as early as they can only attack FTTF passengers. There are plenty of diamond/platinum cruisers who also want to be on as early as they can, yet they are never accused of having this so-called "firstie" mentality. Internet bullies don't go after the groups they know they can't win against.
Precisely my point.

Whether it's now or in 10 years, I don't think cruising more somehow makes me better than those who have cruised less.
The most chilling part of this for some of the more experienced Cruise passengers is that the opposite is closer to true: Offering things (such as FTTF) to attract passengers newer to cruising is in many ways more important to the industry than pandering to those who have demonstrated through their past actions that they will cruise regardless. Consciously or subconsciously that drives a lot of very petty behavior on the part of some folks who have cruised from many many years. Edited by bUU

Says who? [emoji16]

I am pretty sure everyone reading our back and forth can figure out who makes mature reasonable comments, and who acts like a petulant six year old that can't listen to others point of view.

Wha if your traveling as a group? 1st party has 11:00 2nd has 12:00?

If you want to go together everyone arrives at noon or later. Showing up at 11, the 12's will be forced to wait outside the terminal....unless the 12's are P,D or FTTF.