Broke foot and cruising in 3 weeks

grammybto7

Broke my foot yesterday...at this point I am in a big boot but have a knee scooter on the way. I have a cruise in 3 weeks..my second one and am so looking forward to it. No shore excursions booked thank goodness. How hard do you think it is going to be getting around with this knee scooter??

I don't think that you'll have any major issues, just be patient with yourself and others. FWIW, I would request wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation and have someone else push your scooter up the ramp. Otherwise, you'll be exhausted by the time you get up there. I would also look into FTTF (if you aren't Platinum) to minimize the amount of time you have to lug carry-ons around.

I don't want to pry about your situation, but if you have a doctor's appointment between now and then and he says to put on a cast just know that they have waterproof casts. It is much more convenient to shower and swim with them. Hopefully this won't be the case but I'm just throwing it out there if the situation arises. :)

You also might consider speaking to Carnival to get an ADA room if available. It may be easier for you to maneuver with the scooter.

Good luck!

Hi there, I did the same thing 10 years ago but I did it with one week to go. I rented a wheel chair for the week cruise and it worked great. First thing make sure who your with can run blocker, a lot of people were really rude and pushed their way onto elevators and any line in front of me. My wife had to get pushy for the elevators and hold the doors and make room for me. I used the foot boot thing all the time it allowed me to walk slowly and carefully, but I didn't try the stairs. Good luck!!!!! and have fun

If you don't have Priority boarding etc, then arrive at or after your check in time. Arrange wheelchair assistance with Carnival and your airlines if needed. If flying, will you need your foot elevated?

Are you completely non- weight bearing?

Can you go up and down the 6" step into the bathroom? Figure out how to get up off the toilet as there aren't hand rails or cabinets convenient in the regular cabin bathrooms, maybe using your crutches or walker as an aide. Practice at home.

Ask for a shower stool.

Practice the knee scooter, some can't handle them, others find that they hurt. There are seated (push) scooters that can be easier.

Elevators are an issue as people will jump in front of you. Get into any empty elevator, eventually it will get to your floor. At busy times we've been known to hit the opposite button, (up if we want to go down) just to get an elevator after a show.

You can rent a wheelchair ahead of time to be in your cabin. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The ones onboard are for emergencies. It needs to be stored in your cabin, not the hallway. Carnival's website has the rental companies information.

Contact Special Needs about wheelchair assistance, bathroom aides (shower stool, elevated toilet seat) and dining needs. Ask for a table near the front of the MDR if doing assigned dining.

Edited by SadieN

If you have a boot and can at least put some weight on it, it won't be that bad. I broke my fibula and ankle about a month before sailing on the Splendor last year. Since it wasn't weight bearing bones, I had the big boot and could hobble around on it. It was slow going, and stairs were out, but I could at least manage (and take it off for showers/sleeping).

I found most people are good about giving you time to get onto elevators, and just timed things so I wasn't standing on big lines. My wife and daughter would help with drinks and food in the buffet. You can try calling Carnival, they might be able to get you a better room (depending on what you have), our ship was booked solid already by that point, but worth a call.

Beyond what has already been mentioned on here, ask about the special muster drill station. They had the people with disabilities in the library and had someone do it for us in there. No standing or fighting for room, and they let you out a little early to catch the elevators before the mobs of people are released.

Otherwise just try to get to things early. You'll miss the crowds trying to get in, and get yourself a seat. Take your time going places.

Broke my foot yesterday...at this point I am in a big boot but have a knee scooter on the way. I have a cruise in 3 weeks..my second one and am so looking forward to it. No shore excursions booked thank goodness. How hard do you think it is going to be getting around with this knee scooter??

It can be done good luck.

REALLY glad this was posted. I had a spiral fracture of my Tibia and Fibula back in 2015. They did surgery to repair it with a plate and screws. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, my ankle is KILLING me. Since I've moved from the state I had the surgery in, it's been very difficult (even with a referral from my GP) to get an Orthopedic Surgeon to see me so the plate and screws can be removed. So, we're leaving for our cruise in 34 days, (cruise leaves in 37 days) and I'm back in my old walking boot and using a brace for when I'm not walking or standing for long periods of time. (Note. I haven't seen a Dr yet except my General Practitioner.) We have Xunantunich Mayan Ruins already booked. I have no idea how well this is all gonna go but I'm happy to hear that IF I need assistance, I can get it from Carnival. I wasn't really planning on taking the boot with me, just the brace, but now I'm kinda starting to reconsider that.

I've seen quite a few on knee scooter on some of my cruises. They move around freely on board and have noticed some without any companion. You have 3 weeks to get adjusted so I am sure you will still enjoy your cruise.

Elevators are an issue as people will jump in front of you. Get into any empty elevator, eventually it will get to your floor. At busy times we've been known to hit the opposite button, (up if we want to go down) just to get an elevator after a show.

I always do this when there is a crowd - Boy people sure do get mad when they are trying to go up or down and the elevator dings for opposite direction so they nicely let me go thru and get on and then when the elevator door opens again I have my nice comfy spot at the front of the elevator - Or even better if nobody else is on the elevator and it just lets me go to the floor I want to begin with LOL