NCL Pearl ?s, Alaska, 1st Cruise

smm0218

Sorry if these are silly or dumb questions but since this is our first (and I hope not only if DH has a good time) and I'm a planner, hopefully someone will take pity on me and answer my questions anyway.

Does anyone that has traveled through Glacier Bay this summer remember about how long the ship stayed in the Bay?

Is the pool on the Pearl heated? Worth taking a swimsuit on an August cruise to Alaska?

I have a collapsible water bottle that if I fill halfway with water and freeze keeps my water cold quite a while. And I hate drinking warm water. Is there any place where I could get my bottle frozen, or is it something I could ask the steward to do? There is really only one day (long excursion) where it would really help to have it frozen instead of just filled with cold water.

Do magnets work on the walls (I've seen different answers) and did you use them? I've seen some comments that after the last dry dock there have been USB outlets added by beds but what about electrical, do we still need a 12 ft extension cord for CPAP? (Will be in an inside cabin unless I get lucky and my offer is accepted for Oceanview or Balcony which isn't looking too good)

For the shows on Pearl (specifically Legends) according to the website reservations aren't accepted. Is the show available multiple times? How early do you need to arrive to get seats?

If you wanted to sit and just have, or be, quiet, and watch ocean where on the ship would you go? Obviously cabin won't work to watch ocean since it's an inside.

I've seen in various posts that food is not allowed to be taken off ship, does that include something like individually wrapped granola bars (from home?) Sometimes suffer from low blood sugar and really need to eat something.

Sorry if these are silly questions but never cruised before.

Sorry if these are silly or dumb questions but since this is our first (and I hope not only if DH has a good time) and I'm a planner, hopefully someone will take pity on me and answer my questions anyway.

Does anyone that has traveled through Glacier Bay this summer remember about how long the ship stayed in the Bay?

We got into Glacier bay early in the morning (7-8 AM?) and were there until maybe 5 PM. (This was a fantastic day - perfect weather for us - May '16.)

Is the pool on the Pearl heated? Worth taking a swimsuit on an August cruise to Alaska?

I don't know the answer to this but I only saw a few kids in the pool on one day - otherwise I'm assuming it was too cold. Bring your swimsuit no matter what - there are several hot tubs near the pool that you might enjoy.

I have a collapsible water bottle that if I fill halfway with water and freeze keeps my water cold quite a while. And I hate drinking warm water. Is there any place where I could get my bottle frozen, or is it something I could ask the steward to do? There is really only one day (long excursion) where it would really help to have it frozen instead of just filled with cold water.

I think all the rooms have a mini-fridge but I don't remember if it had a small freezer compartment or not.

Do magnets work on the walls (I've seen different answers) and did you use them? I've seen some comments that after the last dry dock there have been USB outlets added by beds but what about electrical, do we still need a 12 ft extension cord for CPAP? (Will be in an inside cabin unless I get lucky and my offer is accepted for Oceanview or Balcony which isn't looking too good)

There was a magnetic hook a previous passenger must have left in our room on the wall (we had a mini suite #11002) and it stuck to the wall just fine - that would be the walls that are between cabins - I didn't try it anywhere else. I moved the hook near the door and used it to hang my ball cap... I haven't been on board since the upgrade. My shipmate has a CPAP and we used a 6' extension cord - the outlet was above the desk area. I would think 6' is all you should need as the rooms aren't THAT big.

For the shows on Pearl (specifically Legends) according to the website reservations aren't accepted. Is the show available multiple times? How early do you need to arrive to get seats?

Shows were typically twice per day - an early (7 pm?) performance and then a later one around 9 pm. We only went to one or two shows and we showed up maybe 20 minutes early - no issue picking about any seat we wanted. I'm **NOT** an expert but I believe most people in Alaska aren't that interested in shows...

If you wanted to sit and just have, or be, quiet, and watch ocean where on the ship would you go? Obviously cabin won't work to watch ocean since it's an inside.

I found sitting in the Spinnaker Lounge very cool. In the evenings (if there wasn't a function) one could sit quietly and watch where you're heading. I did this a couple different evenings. There would be a handful of people but everyone was sitting quietly watching. There was a very low volume instrumental elevator-type music playing - not intrusive.

I've seen in various posts that food is not allowed to be taken off ship, does that include something like individually wrapped granola bars (from home?) Sometimes suffer from low blood sugar and really need to eat something.

Also, not an expert and policies change. I think you can take pre-packaged (bought) items with you off the ship. I'm assuming you can bring them on with you too.

The Pearl is a great ship. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Last year was my first cruise too and am booked for the Pearl next May ('18) again. You should look at getting a spa pass for the cruise - very well worth it and after the first day there was hardly anyone there - like you're own private club. They only sell somewhere between 90-100 passes per cruise from my understanding. Another reason to bring you swimsuit. :D

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Most answers are above, but...

Pool is somewhat heated, but taken a swimsuit anyway. Consider hot tubs, both on the deck and in the spa if you choose this. Just take one. You may wish you had one if you don't.

No, no freezer.

Magnetic hooks work. I use them to hang documents/papers that would otherwise be cluttered on the table/desk.

The ship's food cannot be taken ashore. Pre-packaged things like granola bars and such can be taken.

We did the Jewel this time last year, the sister ship to the Pearl. They are similar so I'll answer where I think my experience is relevant.

The pools were heated and the kids spent time in them, I spent time in the hot tubs and it was plenty warm enough some days to be on the deck in a swimsuit. I see the Pearl has a thermal spa and I would suggest that if its in your budget. On the colder days its cozy, and its also a very quiet place to escape and relax. The thermal spa is on the front of the ship just like the Spinnaker lounge so an amazing view on sea days.

Magnets worked on the Jewel to hold up papers. We didn't have outlets or USBs by the beds but maybe the Pearl has been updated?

For sure Spinnaker Lounge when there's not an activity going on. There are some loungers all around the front and side windows that are away from the activities so its usually quiet. See above about that thermal spa. Lounging in a hot tub or lounger and watching the sea was so nice! The library has windows as well and is quiet.

We brought wrapped kid snacks in Alaska and I've heard others do the same. No fruit or vegetables or anything that could carry something invasive. A single granola bar would not be stopped.

Different shows on the Jewel, and I assume it depends on how busy the week is, but for us if we arrived 15-20 mins early we got a decent seat, arrive earlier if you want a great seat, people arrived late and still got a bad seat.

I was just on the Pearl and I swam in the pool a couple of times. I'm from southwest Arizona, so not acclimated to cold at all, and I found it to be warm enough to enjoy. And the pool was usually empty, that was a plus. Consider getting a spa pass. My husband and I were in there everyday

Others have already added some good comments. You might want to scroll through posts from the past few weeks to get up to speed on NCL.

Some comments.

1) CPAP - I just did a quick search and found this thread about CPAP - I added some good comments there for you.

2) Water: Just have the steward or bartender fill it with ice cubs, then add ships water. Bingo, over half is frozen.

3) Alaska : Visit the Alaska section in PORTS OF CALL for great advice.

4) Magnets. Scroll down the page, there is a current thread about those right now.

We swam a few days as the pools are heated but if no one is already in one dip a toe first. On the last full day my then 6yo daughter in I were in one pool and she wanted to go in the other. We jumped right in not knowing that they had either changed the water in the pool the night before or the heater broke. Needless to say we jumped right out. :) But other then that one time we loved the pools and still laugh about it.

As others have said you are in Glacier Bay most of the day but actual close up glacier viewing time is about 4 hours. For us last year it was from about 9a to 1p,

I have a trip report and the link is on my signature below if you want to check it out. Unfortunately the pictures have been blocked by photobuckets new policy. They want to charge something like $300 a year to allow you to link and put photos on 3rd party sites like cruise critic

Thank you for all the answers.

DH will be glad about the pool for sure. I was hoping for several hours in Glacier Bay so that makes me happy.

With the # of people using CPAPs these days you'd think when they updated they would have added a plug near the bed. I'll just keep extension cord in the bag.

And I may just have to put up with warm water, ice cubes won't last on an 8 hour excursion :) But I can take my granola bars and that's a good thing.

Did this cruise a week ago. You are going to love it. Others have commented so I will just make a few:

It was quite chilly on deck for most of our trip and windy when really out at sea. Glacier Bay was calm and if you can get up early you can experience a beautiful entrance through high peaks from the bow at deck eight. Or just go up to the very top deck forward.

The pool was quite cold when we sailed so we did not use it. But some people did use it. For the most part it was empty.

We loved Spinnaker Lounge. Spent a lot of time there. If you really want quiet the library is always so.

Legends in Concert only performed one night and the theater was packed to capacity. We stood, as we finished dinner to close to start of performance. Members of same cast performed in Variety shows a couple of times and they were great. There is also an inspiring comedian and an amazing comedic juggler (really, really good) who performed a few times. And an amazing acrobatic duo who I believe come from Cirque de Soleil.

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks for the info Gotts 123. Great info about Glacier Bay and Legends concert. Since Glaciers are one of the reasons I want to visit Alaska and I'm usually up very early I know just where to go now, so you have done me a huge favor. I'll have hoodie and jacket already to go. Sounds like Spinnaker Lounge is somewhere I will be spending a lot of time, too.