Summit Internet

garnet115

How is the internet on the Summit? I've seen conflicting information. Is it good enough for streaming services? I have the unlimited internet as one of my perks, so would love to know what I can actually use it for other than checking email.

How is the internet on the Summit? I've seen conflicting information. Is it good enough for streaming services? I have the unlimited internet as one of my perks, so would love to know what I can actually use it for other than checking email.

I was on the Summit in mid July and IMO internet access was terrible. I needed to check in at work via email on a daily basis and thought I'd be okay with my Captain's Club free minutes. By day 3 of my 9 night cruise I needed to sign up for the unlimited plan. I was continually knocked off, which required that I repeatedly sign back onto the network. This happened throughout the cruise. I was able to play one of those app games on my ipad, but couldn't update an app. I tried but couldn't upload a libray book via my Overdrive app.

We were on Summit last week, paid $200 for internet package. It was *passable* the day after we left port, (like dial up in the 90s, painfully slow). From our cabin (deck 9 mid ship) FB messenger (but not FB) & texts (no pictures) worked most of the week, SLOWLY, sometimes multiple attempts to send a text with only words, forget about photos. Forget loading websites the first 5-6x. I was not able to text pics to my kids back home about 1/2 of the time. No videos. While docked in Bermuda it was fine. The other days it was non-existent except in the MDR & Blu. Hope this made sense. Basically I just gave up. If we were in a dining room, I attempted to communicate with my kids via text, and several friends via FB Messenger. Had the kids been with us, or been grown, it would have been a waste. I only paid for it because my kids are tweens and were staying with family.

We've used it in March the past 2 years with no issues. Mainly emails, web searches, newpapers and social media, however this year our 23 year old daughter came along and she was streaming and face timing often with no problem. We IM'd anyplace on the ship, but accessed most often in our cabins, (Sky Suites midship deck 6)