SOV guarantee on Monarch?

Has anyone had any experience with booking a Superior Ocean View guarantee on the Monarch? It is listed on the RCL promowave as a deluxe under the column that is usually for suites, and I'm wondering if I book this will I get a larger ocean view or a junior suite. I don't think there are any standard balcony cabins on this ship, so it's ocean view or suite.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Carol

Hi Carol.

The Monarch and other Sovereign class ships only have balconies in categories JS and higher. The standard oceanview cabins are very tiny at 122 sq ft and are really nothing more than a bed, very small vanity area, closet and bathroom. The Superior Oceanview cabins are all on Deck 9 and are more of a "normal" cabin by todays ship standards at 157 sq. ft. These have room to move around, plenty of storage space, a nice size vanity area, refrigerator, small loveseat and coffee table, closet and bathroom. They also all have the larger picture window, although most cabins in this category have partial obstructions. When you look out the window you will see the tops of the lifeboats under your window... nothing major. There are a few cabins that have the window between the lifeboats, but I don't have a deckplan handy so I can't give you the numbers, but it's easy to figure out which ones. Actually, these SO cabins are the best deals on this ship if you don't mind spending the extra money over an H, G or F1 or F2.

Carol, we just had our first SOV last August on the Monarch. We always have suites or at least balcony cabins. However, we joined friends late and the SOV quarantee was all that was left. We were assigned 9076 I think. No upgrade, we got what we paid for. I was a bit shocked when we entered the room, our cabin attendant was there, and I said something about the small size. Our steward said "oh no, maam, this is a big cabin!".

Okay, I got over it and it was really just fine. We were on a b2b so had the cabin for a week. We had room for our stuff and some space to move about. The window was good sized and our view was unobstructed. We brought a small fan and that was a God send as the air conditioning was weak. Plus it gave the feel of a breeze (like an open balcony door). I also packed some air fresheners, the solid kind, and that was a good thing.

I agree that it is very confusing on the RCL site about the SOV guarantee. The friends we were cruising with did get a JS because the RCL agent said they would get a suite when they booked the deluxe cabin.

When they did get their cabin assignment, a SOV, they called RCL and spoke with a supervisor and did get the suite they thought they booked. You might try surfing the reps to see if you get one that is also confused.

Archived