Help! Mercury Delayed, Late Sailing Tomorrow!

richsea

We were informed a while ago by our TA via phone & Celebrity via email that due to a medical emergency, Mercury will not arrive in San Diego until noon-1PM, with boarding starting 4-5PMtomorrow. We are arriving via Jet Blue at 11AM. Does anyone haxe any suggestions as to how we can kill the 5-6 hours, & what, if anything to do with our luggage?

I wonder if the porters will take incoming bags early at the pier, even though the ship isn't there or ready yet. If so, then you have good options in San Diego. Walk or take a cab to the "gaslamp" district and walk and shop. Or take public transit or a cab out to the San Diego Zoo.

If they don't take your bags, your kind of stuck, but there are a couple of hotels, bars, and restaurants not far from the pier. You could hang out in a nice bar with a view of the bay and soften the blow of having to wait with a few cocktails.

I wonder if the porters will take incoming bags early at the pier, even though the ship isn't there or ready yet. If so, then you have good options in San Diego. Walk or take a cab to the "gaslamp" district and walk and shop. Or take public transit or a cab out to the San Diego Zoo.

If they don't take your bags, your kind of stuck, but there are a couple of hotels, bars, and restaurants not far from the pier. You could hang out in a nice bar with a view of the bay and soften the blow of having to wait with a few cocktails.

Thanks, Leela. I asked the Captain's Club rep about checking our luggage at the pier & she said that they nornally won't let you but may make an exception although she doubted it so I'm not counting on it. Maybe there is a place at the airport for storage. I guess we could grab a bite in a bar/restaurant. Your'e right, that would "soften the blow"!

We'll just make the best of it!:D

Thanks again!

Sorry for you guys having to get a late start....but as someone said, let's hope the ill person is going to get better, that's the main thing.

I know for a fact that (unfortunately) there is no airport luggage storage. We're on the 12-12 sailing and I checked that out with the San Diego airport folks when there a few weeks ago. One of our CC group folks will be getting in early as well and were looking at options.

As for a hotel taking/checking your bags if you're not staying there- not sure about that. Perhaps if you're part of their "frequent stay" program they would make an exception but normally I think they want you to be staying at the hotel.

Other thought- find the cheapest rent a car you can, put your bags in there and toodle around the city up to Balboa Park or over to Coronado-

I was in San Diego yesterday and the weather was very pleasant-- let's hope it holds!

if you're not leaving till morning, book it online now! Another option, drive over to Point Loma, go up to Cabrillo National Monument (follow the signs) which is an INCREDIBLE viewpoint looking back over the city and out onto the Pacific ... then if you head back north up the spine of Point Loma, you will be close to my favorite coastal part of San Diego, Ocean Beach (we lived there before moving here), with one of the longest piers on the Pacific Coast. All within 15-20 minutes of the airport and seaport. Travel safely -- TR

I live in San Diego and I have had to call the transport service and change the pick up times twice. I feel sorry for you folks from out of town I will just sit at home and watch the ships cam on the port cam.

We can compare notes when we are at sea.

We were in the reverse predicament when we sailed from Hawaii to Ensenada in April. We arrived at the airport at about noonish but our flight didn't leave until 10PM on JetBlue. After making an inquiry at the airport courtesy desk, we were told to take the Sheraton Shuttle to the Sheraton hotel. They will be able to hold your bags for you. We are not Sheraton members, so I felt funny doing this. Double check with the hotel direct and not their 800 number about this. From there, you will be able to get a taxi to the pier. I don't know how much it is, but at least it's an easy way to get your mind on to better things: like deciding which Martini to have onboard! :D

Also, give the Holiday Inn by the Bay a call. They are located directly across from the pier. They might be able to help out too.

Let us know what you decide.

Anita

Just fyi- when I queried the Visitors desk at the San Diego airport a few weeks ago about baggage storage the lady said that the Sheraton "used to" take people's bags as a courtesy but had some problems unfortunately and were no longer doing so.

Now- maybe she was wrong and it was just a one time refusal- but I would call and check first.

if you're not leaving till morning, book it online now! Another option, drive over to Point Loma, go up to Cabrillo National Monument (follow the signs) which is an INCREDIBLE viewpoint looking back over the city and out onto the Pacific ... then if you head back north up the spine of Point Loma, you will be close to my favorite coastal part of San Diego, Ocean Beach (we lived there before moving here), with one of the longest piers on the Pacific Coast. All within 15-20 minutes of the airport and seaport. Travel safely -- TR

Agree about Cabrillo. Beautiful view in all directions. If you go, take the time to walk around and read and see all the info about World War II. That and the zoo are the two places I visit every time I visit San Diego.

OP - We are in the same situation as you. We are supposed to sail today on the Millennium for a 2 day cruise. They already changed our itinerary from no where to the bahamas. Then on Wednesday we got a call from Celebrity that the ship has been delayed on its transatlantic saing bc it hit a tropical storm and the swells were so bad that they had to slow down.

Millie won't dock untill 11:30-12Noon today and we can't board until 5PM. There is a convention of Cruise TA's going on in FLL and all the hotels are sold out and we have to be out by noon. Don't know what we are going to do from Noon-4 (that is when we are allowed to show up at the pier). I am watching the webcam and and land is no where in sight. Our short cruise just keeps getting shorter!

Archived