Irons in Staterooms on AOL?

Fred C

FredC- Give your wife this advice. Leave the iron at home, serious fire hazard. Try Downy Wrinkle releaser if you feel the wrinkles in your clothes are unbearable, experiment with different methods of packing to know what works best, take along an empty misting bottle and gently mist the clothes and then smooth out any wrinkles and allow the item to dry, hang wrinkled clothes in the bathroom during showers, or send out to be pressed while onboard- press only costs one half of the dry cleaning bill. My daughter had a floor length formal pressed for $6.00. It would've taken me over an hour to press at home.

Better to just budget some pressing services into your expense budget.

For 2 people, $50 shoud be more than enough for a 7 night cruise.

Money is WAY lighter to lug cross country than an iron (not to mention less of a fire hazzard..!)

I just bought the same travel iron at Target - lol... and I am bringing mine. I just don't like wrinkles when I am going to a nice dinner. I am ok with hanging the clothes in the bathroom while I shower for day clothes - but when I dress up - I want to look good.

The issue of bringing your own iron has been debated many times. On our last cruise we spent close to 100 bucks on pressing. I'm goping back to taking my travel iron. After all irons don't cause fires, careless people do and because the makers of quality irons know this, they have auto shutoffs built into them so you don't burn the place down.

My husband just came home from Target with a travel iron for our trip on the Serenade this Saturday. You can tell that he does not read these message boards. I sent him back to the store with the iron!

Bad husband. Bad, bad husband. Have a great trip. Keep the Serenade safe for me. I'll be on her in a few months.

The issue of bringing your own iron has been debated many times. On our last cruise we spent close to 100 bucks on pressing. I'm goping back to taking my travel iron. After all irons don't cause fires, careless people do and because the makers of quality irons know this, they have auto shutoffs built into them so you don't burn the place down.
Anyone else see the irony in someone, who appears to be a professional firefighter, suggesting that we ignore the rules about a fire hazard?!?!?!??!

I've also heard that it has to do with the amount of electricity (or something, can't quite remember) that an iron pulls, and the cabin wiring is not set up for that.

....and yes.....good pun.....I do see the 'iron'y!!

Michele

I just bought the same travel iron at Target - lol... and I am bringing mine. I just don't like wrinkles when I am going to a nice dinner. I am ok with hanging the clothes in the bathroom while I shower for day clothes - but when I dress up - I want to look good.

I just got off the Majesty and I hate to break this to you, but I don't know what you're going to iron ON unless you're in one of the bigger cabins. I was in a regular cabin. There is not a lot of counter space and the little side table was glass topped. I'd be afraid to iron on glass.

I confess I don't understand this one.....if it's such a fire hazard, why would you want one in your house either? :confused:

LOL, I didn't want to go there yet but I totally agree. People are more likely to pay attention to what they are doing in there cabin than they are at home.

I confess I don't understand this one.....if it's such a fire hazard, why would you want one in your house either? :confused:

It has something to do with overloading the electiral wiring system on the ship. I have NO idea how that differs from the wiring in your home, but that's the reasoning.

I just got off the Majesty and I hate to break this to you, but I don't know what you're going to iron ON unless you're in one of the bigger cabins. I was in a regular cabin. There is not a lot of counter space and the little side table was glass topped. I'd be afraid to iron on glass.

You have to be creative. Lay a towel on the glass first or lay a towel on the bath floor and iron on the floor. Any hard surface with a towel. Use a damp towel then there is no need to spray or steam as some travel don't have that feature....:)

It has something to do with overloading the electiral wiring system on the ship. I have NO idea how that differs from the wiring in your home, but that's the reasoning.

A small travel doesn't use any more power than your blender and everyone takes one of those,..:D

Archived