Child Air Lifted from the Breeze Overnight

Tenderpaw

If this is the case, where in the hell were the parents? Stupid, stupid people!!

Seems to me a five year old would be capable of opening the balcony door while the adults were asleep. (I don't have kids, someone correct me if this isn't true.)

I understand why the 'blame the parents' reflex exists, but it's also not possible to childproof the whole world. Kids by nature have poor judgement and accidents happen. Parents cannot be awake 24 hours a day.

If this is the case, where in the hell were the parents? Stupid, stupid people!!

I agree 100%. Who the heck lets a 5 yo on an open balcony without supervision? Agree parents got lucky it wasn't the ocean below.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems to me a five year old would be capable of opening the balcony door while the adults were asleep. (I don't have kids, someone correct me if this isn't true.)

I understand why the 'blame the parents' reflex exists, but it's also not possible to childproof the whole world. Kids by nature have poor judgement and accidents happen. Parents cannot be awake 24 hours a day.

You are right at least with my four year old. If she wants out she would open the door. She would easily move something to reach the door.

I agree with your direction away from shaming the parents who are likely second thinking everything they will do for the rest of their lives

All the best

I am 5'5" and no little bit of a thing. Those doors are hard for me to open. Not to mention there is the lock at the top that would be impossible for a 5 year old to reach. I was fearful of my grandkids being on my balcony. That's why I was always with them and holding onto them. I told them never to climb on the balcony furniture or the railings - they also knew to not even think of opening that door.

You are right at least with my four year old. If she wants out she would open the door. She would easily move something to reach the door.

I agree with your direction away from shaming the parents who are likely second thinking everything they will do for the rest of their lives

All the best

I used to spend a lot of time on "true crime" forums, and whenever there was a tragedy involving a child, posters were absolutely awful about blaming the parents and second-guessing everything they did (even if it was unavoidable ... in one case the parents had a predator living in the next house over. Just horrifically bad odds. The internet still blamed them for their own child's death).

Anyway, I eventually figured out that people react that way (judgement) so they can tell themselves that it would never happen to *their* kids.

(Well, and it's the internet, where judging other people is a blood sport.)

Fact is - we don't know any facts. Let's not make any judgments and just wish the family well. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone.

For those of you who took about a half a second to blame the parents for neglect, you have no idea what happened. And if you don't have kids of your own, you're even more clueless as to how quickly something bad can happen, even when you're diligent. You can speculate that the horrible, neglectful parents let their 5 year old child play on the balcony unsupervised. I can speculate that the parent stepped inside for just a minute to grab the child's toy or their drink. In the end, we end up with a whole heck of a lot of speculation, that's it. They obviously didn't mean for it to happen, it was a terrible accident. I hope she's ok.

Some years ago, we were on a cruise with my daughter (around 5 or 6 years old a time). My husband was opening balcony door to go outside, when my daughter got up on a bed and jumped on his back, almost missing him.

It all happened really fast. I remember watching it and screaming, trying to stop my husband from opening a door. It all ended well, as she landed on his back. But, I shudder to think what could have happened.

My point is, no one knows what happened if you were not there.

Maybe the balcony door was propped open.

Bad idea if there is a young child in the cabin. Even a three year old knows (s)he can push the chair closer to the rail for a better view, but young children don't understand the dangers involved in doing so.

All the best for that poor child and family. Accidents happen to all children, most of the time we are lucky and the implications are minor, no need to bray for blood. I can think of two near misses with my son and one with my daughter. And I am a phenomenal parent.