Family Cabins on RCCL

Kerry's Girls

I've tried to book one on the Mexico cruises from Los Angeles, but can't find one available. Has anyone tried one? Is it much better than two adjoining cabins? What is the cost? I imagine they're never discounted because there aren't very many.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Best,

Mia

Guest nemo2005

I think you might be asking about the FO stateroom that is oceanview with a bunkbed room for 2 (usually children) and up to 4 more in the main part of the cabin. You are right - they book up fast.

If you have 5 (and not 6 people) you might find a Grand Suite to be a reasonable alternative. In the cruise we selected, it is less expensive for the Grand Suite than to take 2 balcony cabins.

It does seem that Royal Caribbean has a fair number of regular staterooms (balcony and oceanview) that are connecting and that can solve a family's dilemma about space.

Good luck!

To book the Royal Family Suite on RCCL you need to call the cruiseline directly or go through your travel agent. You can't find the cabins online because they require 5+ people. And they book up fast. The Royal Family Suite has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, walk in closet, dining table, etc. It was great when we went with three adults and two kids. But it is pricey. It would compare to probably two junior suites connected/combined. But the extra living area, and huge balcony in the AFT really made it worth it when traveling with our young kids.

wendy

Hi all -

Thanks for your responses and suggestions. There are five of us - 3 adults and 2 toddlers. I'm so used to booking trips online, I can't remember how many years it's been since I've spoken to someone on the phone about a trip! One more question - for the Grand Suite, do passengers 3-5 pay the discounted "additional passenger" rate, or do four people pay the full fare? Does anyone know if any of the other cruise lines have rooms that will accomodate 5?

Thanks again.

Best,

Mia

Guest nemo2005

Kerry's Girls:

It is true that you have to call to fit 5 in a room. You cannot book 5 on-line. You might like the Grand Suite with 5 because the 5th person has a rollaway which might be good for your 3rd adult. Yes, in the Grand Suite passengers 3-5 pay the highly discounted rate - that is why it is less for us to do the Grand Suite than for us to get connecting balcony rooms.

NCL allows 5 in some rooms - again, you call, but their website allows you to sometimes do searches for 5 in a room. Disney has some rooms for 5 - family suites, I believe. On Princess you have to get a pretty pricey room - cannot remember the type. Carnival allows 5 in some. If you search the Family Board for "five in cabin" or something like that, you will get other responses.

And, it is true that RCI only allows 5+ in some rooms like the FO type, I believe.

Our family of 4 (kids now 9 and 12) has tried cruising with the 4 of us in an "Owner's Suite" (Splendour-10 days), a Family Suite (Legend-7 days) and two connecting E-1 cabins (Brilliance-12 days). The biggest challenge trying to get 4 or 5 in a Grand or Owner's Suite is bathroom access--a real pinch with early seating dinner!

At this point, we will likely stick with two connecting cabins on future cruises. The increased privacy and separate beds for the kids was a plus, as well as plenty of space for all. We enjoyed the Family Suite, but the premium compared with the two connecting cabins isn't worth it for us--we just don't use that many of the suite "perks".

The connecting cabins come in virtually all cabin grades, which gave us more flexibility in choosing ship and travel dates--the Family Suites now seem to go as soon as the ships are made available for reservations.

THANKS

I know carnival older ships sleep 5--one bed will be a rollaway. Newer ships are not allowed rollaways and most cabins only sleep 4.

Booking 5 to a cabinyou shuld get the 3, 4 & 5th person at a dsicounted rate.

We just got off RCCL's Navigator of the Seas. We had inside promenade connecting cabins- one for us, one for the kids. It was much easier and more comfortable than the large family cabin we had last year on the Disney cruise. It gave us two bathrooms, and my husband and I shut the connecting door and not worry about wakign up children. Better for the sex life too!

• 2 months later...
We just got off RCCL's Navigator of the Seas. We had inside promenade connecting cabins- one for us, one for the kids. It was much easier and more comfortable than the large family cabin we had last year on the Disney cruise. It gave us two bathrooms, and my husband and I shut the connecting door and not worry about wakign up children. Better for the sex life too!

wait...wait...wait...You have kids, you take them on a cruise with you...and you still get to improve your sex life?!?!:eek: :eek: :eek:

From a couple who took their 3 girls with them on their anniversary cruise and only booked one cabin:rolleyes:

Archived