Like to jog/run

dkantermd

Would prefer cruising on boats that in addition to the typical mini-jogging track, also have a long wrap-around promenade walkway for extended running that encircles the entire ship (similar to the two classic Disney boats). Do board participants know if the Voyager class boats have such a wrap-around promenade?

Thanks,

David

The promenade deck on the Voyager doesn't completely wrap around. At the front of the boat you have to go up a flight of stairs, out into the bow area (where the helicopter pad is) and then back down another flight of steps to get back to the promenade deck level. It is still a beautiful and relaxing walk.

The only place to "run" would be on the jogging track or on a treadmill in the gym.

I think the jogging track on the upper deck, is 4 or 5 laps equals 1 mile. It's a nice size, I would not consider it a mini track at all!

Very few modern ships have a promenade deck that encircles the ship. Many have a promenade deck that runs from the front to the back on both sides, but does meet at the bow or the stern. Others have a promenade deck that runs on both sides and connects in the stern but is blocked in the bow. If you do elect to use the jogging track up on the sports deck you better be out there early in the morning before all the sunbathers are out. Once the sunbathers are out they will frequently position their chairs so that they block the jogging track.

I am also a runner and have to tell you that it is more hassle than its worth to run on these ships. There are always people on the track that walk abreast without considering others that are trying to run. There are casual strollers that get in the way. And, yes, there are even smokers, that feel that it is appropriate to puff away on a track designated for jogging, walking.

I rarely run on a treadmill as I love to be outdoors but on a ship, it is the best option unless you want to constantly slow down.

The Radiance class ships also have a 'wrap-around" deck on deck 5. It also requires you to go up stairs to the helipad, etc, which would be good for a workout, but not necessarily good for a run.

On Radiance there is much less room to pass the dining room and on the aft, so if you are running, you must be very careful, as really only one or two people can pass these areas. On Voyager class, there is much more room. I would stick to the top deck. One option is to run early in the morning or in the evening. Many of the crew can be seen running at 10pm on the top deck, since there are few passengers up there then.

Running is a "need" for me as I became addicted to it years ago. I have tried running on the deck, but the best time for doing that is in the morning when the ship is just docking because the head winds can be MURDER if the ship is travelling and 12 knots. Also, the above posters have captured the track situation very well, and the runners don't seem to have the right of way most of the time. Not saying we should, we just don't.

I got used to using the treadmills on the ship, and that proved to be pretty good. On the Voyager class ships you look out a large expanse of glass when you are running and it can be pretty cool. Also, there are a lot of treadmills and usually not a problem if you want to run for an hour or 90 minutes or so.

If you want the longer track, you need to go to Princess and look at the Coral or Island Princess as I believe they have the largest continuous Promenade deck where you don't need to go up and down stairs.

I am also a runner and have to tell you that it is more hassle than its worth to run on these ships. There are always people on the track that walk abreast without considering others that are trying to run. There are casual strollers that get in the way. And, yes, there are even smokers, that feel that it is appropriate to puff away on a track designated for jogging, walking.

I rarely run on a treadmill as I love to be outdoors but on a ship, it is the best option unless you want to constantly slow down.

Here we are again!!! Smokers-the social pariahs of the 21st century. If we smokers can tolerate spilling our beer at 6 am to avoid our jogging fraternity, surely you can allow us our space as well. Generally speaking, (as is your wont), you will find us to be friendly (if unfit) buffoons who admire your energy and diligence whilst on holiday. We will cheer you on your merry way with a wave of our glass and a puff of our cigarette before carrying on enjoying OUR highlight of the year. Each to their own?

Alan

I think the outdoor track on Jewel is longer than Voyager. How do you deal with the headwinds when the ship is moving at 10-12 knots, and how do you deal with the walkers? It seems like a safety issue to me and I don't wish to offend the walkers by continually running up on them. It just feels wierd.

Archived