Does NCL Sun go to Playa De Carmen?

Bourmatnov

I was under the impression that many of the Mexican tenders and ferries were moved to Cozumel since the docks have not been rebuilt yet. Therefore there aren't enough tenders at Calico/Playa de Carmen or Cancun to soldier the load. Orginally, Calico was a tender port.... Its difficult to have the tenders in both places.... I don't think NCL will be able to tender into Calico until the docks of Cozumel are rebuilt....

Thanks for all your replies. We were really hoping to take the ferry to Playa as we have peeps there but I was afraid that the ferrys would be tied up (no pun intended). Still, I know there are lots of people who live in Cozumel and work in Playa and vice versa. I guess they just have limited service for residents. Anyway, thanks for the replies!!:)

At the ferry pier I did not see anyone attending the booth for the Playa del Carmen ferries.

It was very busy at the ferry pier so you might be right in your thinking about the ferries being tied up doing the tendering and not being accessible for tourists to go to Play del Carmen.

Maybe someone else will have more of a direct answer than mine. Have fun sailing!

At the ferry pier I did not see anyone attending the booth for the Playa del Carmen ferries.

It was very busy at the ferry pier so you might be right in your thinking about the ferries being tied up doing the tendering and not being accessible for tourists to go to Play del Carmen.

Maybe someone else will have more of a direct answer than mine. Have fun sailing!

Thanks for all your replies. We were really hoping to take the ferry to Playa as we have peeps there but I was afraid that the ferrys would be tied up (no pun intended). Still, I know there are lots of people who live in Cozumel and work in Playa and vice versa. I guess they just have limited service for residents. Anyway, thanks for the replies!!:)

Here's a portion of a post from the Playa.Info Forum:

While they were off, my husband and I went to Cozumel. Wow, ferry tickets have gone up to 220 pesos round trip. Lots of repair going on in Cozumel. I really felt for the community. They are just really thankful to have a few tourists coming back. We went to Dzul Ha to do a little snorkeling but were afraid to stay since all the buildings was destroyed. The driver said he would come back for us but we decided not to risk it. Another trip. Wound up going on to Mr. Sanchos (I think). It was VERY busy with cruise ship people. We had lunch and caught a taxi back to the ferry.

This post was in reference to a Thanksgiving trip to Playa del Carmen, so it appears the ferries are running for everyone, but the tickets have gone up in price.

We were on the Sun last week, and they did offer Playa del Carmen excursions through the ship. Not many to choose from, but they said that there was plenty of vegetation. We chose to stay in Cozumel and got totally soaked by a crazy rain storm. :(

The Sun did not stop in Playa del Carmen on the 11/20 cruise. We had a full day in Cozumel instead.

I hope this is still the case. We would love to have a full day in Cozumel! Has anyone on Dec. cruises heard from NCL on this topic?

We were on the 11/27 Sun cruise. We did not dock in Playa Del Carmen but it is very easy to take the ferry over there. We were planning on doing that but we weren't allowed off of the Sun until after 10 and the ferry had left at 10 and then not until 12. There are 2 ferry companies right at the dock. They go out and come back at alternate times which makes it really easy to plan your times. However, we didn't find out that there were 2 companies until too late in the day. They don't want you to know that because they will loose your business on 1 of the legs. They are both priced the same. I think it was about $10 pp per way. I sure wish we had been able to take advantage of going to Playa. Good Luck!

I don't know what happened but the Assistant Cruise Director said the seas were rough and it was taking longer for passengers to get on the tenders. That was a crock of ??? it was the calmest tender ride I've ever taken in 39 cruises. Figure that out!!!

I was on the 11/20 Sun. I was told that they had a hard time anchoring and actually didn't anchor. I don't know ship terminology but they had to use the gears/motors to stay in the same general spot. Not sure if this would be the case in the future cruises but might be an explanation to the delay.

We just returned yesterday from the Sun. We were able to spend the entire day in Playa del Carmen. If you ask at the shore excursion desk they can put you on a ferry destined for the Tulum shore excursion. It is round trip for $17. It leaves at 7:45AM and returns to the ship at 4:30PM. If you only want to spend part of the day in Playa buy a one-way on the Tulum ferry and then ferry over to Cozumel on your own. You can then catch a tender back to the ship before sailing time. Hope this helps others!

I just received a notice from our TA, informing of an itenerary change made by NCL on our cruise dated January 8th onboard the SUN. Playa del Carmen was not listed as one of our scheduled POC, it mentions we arrive in Cozumel at 8:00am and departs at 6:00pm on Tuesday January 10th.

I just received a notice from our TA, informing of an itenerary change made by NCL on our cruise dated January 8th onboard the SUN. Playa del Carmen was not listed as one of our scheduled POC, it mentions we arrive in Cozumel at 8:00am and departs at 6:00pm on Tuesday January 10th.

That is exactly what our intinerary was but we still managed to get to Playa. I forgot to mention that you are tendering in Cozumel NOT docking. The tender/ferry that we took to Playa picked us up and returned us directly to the ship.

Archived