Distance from ship to town

Malchi

My DW is recovering from knee surgery. She can walk but is a little limited. We will be on the Celebrity Solstice. How far of a walk is it from the ship to where the shore excursions meet or shopping in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau? We don't want to rent a scooter as we don't think it will be needed. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DW is recovering from knee surgery. She can walk but is a little limited. We will be on the Celebrity Solstice. How far of a walk is it from the ship to where the shore excursions meet or shopping in Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau? We don't want to rent a scooter as we don't think it will be needed. Thanks!

I was on Solstice July 7 sailing roundtrip from Seattle, traveling with my sister who uses a walker. Ship excursions should be pretty close to dock with maybe the exception of Skagway but there is a cart bussing people from ship to excursion point. We had to carefully read excursions to see how much walking is involved. Walking to shopping for Ketchikan isn't far. We were booked in Juneau so can't address that, but we docked 1.5 miles from town but there is a tram. Skagway had a bus that runs around town that you can pick up outside dock area (can take golf cart to that). Have fun.

I was on Solstice July 7 sailing roundtrip from Seattle, traveling with my sister who uses a walker. Ship excursions should be pretty close to dock with maybe the exception of Skagway but there is a cart bussing people from ship to excursion point. We had to carefully read excursions to see how much walking is involved. Walking to shopping for Ketchikan isn't far. We were booked in Juneau so can't address that, but we docked 1.5 miles from town but there is a tram. Skagway had a bus that runs around town that you can pick up outside dock area (can take golf cart to that). Have fun.

Thanks! That was exactly what I needed to know.

In my 12 cruises to Alaska, my experience is:

There are a number of docks in Ketchikan downtown 100 feet from shopping BUT there is one dock in Ketchikan with at least a quarter mile to shopping.

Juneau has several docks with several downtown 100 feet from shopping, BUT there is one dock about 1.5 miles from town with a shuttle bus available.

Excursions meet passengers near the gangways for both Juneau and Ketchikan.

As stated in an earlier response, Skagway is a 20-minute walk from the ship. For those with disabilities, there is a golf cart to get you to the end of the pier where most of the excursions meet. Bus and train excursion passengers to the Yukon usually meet their transportation about 100 feet from the gangway.

If your wife will be doing a lot of shopping and just wandering around the towns,I would strongly recommend renting a scooter. My DW used one on every one of our cruises and it made her experience not only painless but also allowed her to cover much more territory in each port.

Another thing to consider is sometimes after you exit the ship there is a ramp to connect to an upper level pier. We noticed sometimes these ramps are very steep depending on tide levels. It seemed sometimes the cruise lines had people available to push wheelchairs etc up the ramps.