Vienna optional concert?

sunshine nana

We really want to hear a concert in Vienna and understand we would have to pay extra. Some lines are no longer listing the concert as an option, but when asked by phone, they say it is. Who has done the concert and on which line? Thanks
Hello Sunshine Nana: catchy name.

Lisa and Gary

LONESTARCRUISINCOUPLE here.

We were on Scenic and a Private concert is given at Liechtenstein Palace with Opera Singing, Ballet Dancers, and yes a Magnificent Orchestra all just for our ship. Excellent. No extra charge as cruise line is All Inclusive..

Gary

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Uniworld had the Vienna concert on our Danube Holiday Markets Passau to Budapest cruise. This cruise started Christmas eve in Passau and ended New Years in Budapest. There was no extra charge for the Vienna concert. The excursion description was:

Featured Excursion: Mozart and Strauss concert at a Viennese concert hall. This evening, after an early dinner, you’ll enjoy yet another special treat: a visit to one of Vienna’s many famous concert halls for a night of beautiful Viennese music. No city is more famous for its composers than Vienna, and two are particularly dear to Viennese hearts: Mozart and Strauss. Settle into a seat in a hall with exquisite acoustics and enjoy a concert of pieces by these cherished composers. The evening concludes with a drive alongside the glimmering lights of the Ringstrasse on your way back to the ship.

Bob

Thanks for the prompt replies. Will look into Scenic and Uniworld
You are more than welcomed and Happy Cruisin to you both.

Lisa and I are getting ready to do yet another Scenoc with The Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo and next two years on the Scenic Eclipse their New Ocean Cruise Ship. One to Cuba the other the Med.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

We sailed on the Danube AMA a few years ago and not sure if it was an included or we paid extra. My husband wasn't interested thinking it was entirely opera. I wanted to see the Opera house and it was truly beautiful especially lit up in the evening. I went with my shipmates and it was wonderful.. It was a combination of different types of music. more of a variety show.. What really shocked me was the manner of dress on most people. It's the Vienna Opera House dress appropriately! People were dressed so casual shorts, tee shirts! 😥😥It's not a black tie event but I guess I am old school..:mad:

The Crystal Mozart also offers a concert in Vienna but calls it a complimentary Crystal Exclusive Event.

It features a coach trip to the Belvedere Palace around 7pm for all passengers. Crystal guest have exclusive access to the Belvedere Palace that evening.

The evening kicks off with an champagne reception. The guests are split into several groups and an assigned guide takes you around to see the gallery focusing on the Klimt collection. The tour ended in the concert room where there is a 16 piece orchestra waiting. The concert features Strauss and Mozart. There is tenor and a soprano singing some arias and a couple of ballet dancers featuring in the hour long show.

An early buffet dinner is served before the event and on your return supper (hot soup and sandwiches) are served in the Bistro. Its a great evening.

We sailed on the Danube AMA a few years ago and not sure if it was an included or we paid extra. My husband wasn't interested thinking it was entirely opera. I wanted to see the Opera house and it was truly beautiful especially lit up in the evening. I went with my shipmates and it was wonderful.. It was a combination of different types of music. more of a variety show.. What really shocked me was the manner of dress on most people. It's the Vienna Opera House dress appropriately! People were dressed so casual shorts, tee shirts! ����It's not a black tie event but I guess I am old school..:mad:

We have arranged for our own tour of the Opera House although there are public tours in the afternoon. Also booked to see The Marriage of Figaro in the evening. Black tie? I am packing white tie and tails for the evening! Yes. I am old school too.

Edited by JohnKen3

We were on Viking's Amsterdam to Budapest. The concert was at the Vienna Residence Orchestra. Both vocal and instrumental performances. It was an optional excursion. Very well attended, the ship must have been nearly deserted. BTW, I checked the Vienna Opera to see if there was a performance that evening. I've forgotten which opera, but Placido Domingo was the headliner ... at $400 for the cheapest tickets! We went to the VRO concert. It was the highlight of our trip.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I attended an optional evening Mozart & Strauss Concert while AmaStella was docked in Vienna on 4 June 2017...

As an earlier poster noted, it was more than the purely orchestral concert that I anticipated and--though not of Lincoln Center quality--I enjoyed every moment of it... A talented group of ten musicians, four vocalists, and two dancers performed... The audience was comprised of guests from two AMA boats docked in Vienna that evening; the event was well attended and the concert hall was right-sized [not full but not cavernously empty either] to the group...

Though I do not know the differentiating criteria [could be scheduling; could be anticipated group size], AMA apparently alternates between two venues in Vienna [Hofsburg Palace or Palais Auersburg; the concert I attended was at the latter (opulent)] and two troupes of performers [Vienna Residence Orchestra or Wiener Hofburgorchester; I saw the latter]...

On AMA Waterways, the tour did carry a $70/person charge... In two weeks of sailing with them [i did consecutive cruises on the Danube and Rhine], it was the only tour I did --and there was less than a handful of such offerings--that carried a surcharge... To my mind, it is a "must do" in Vienna--I'm so glad I attended--and I thought AMA did it [as they seemingly did everything; these were my first river cruises, I was very impressed] with style/attention to detail...

The tour included champagne at intermission, a keepsake audio CD of the performance, and a post-concert "illuminations" drive of Vienna... Very nicely done; great experience!

We really want to hear a concert in Vienna and understand we would have to pay extra. Some lines are no longer listing the concert as an option, but when asked by phone, they say it is. Who has done the concert and on which line? Thanks

I would highly recommend booking a concert on your own at the Musikverein...Ideally when the Vienna Philharmonic is playing.

I was on Avalon in May and was able to see the St. Petersburg Philharmonic at the Musikverein, front row, and paid less than fellow cruise mates did for the Avalon excursion that saw the tourist concert with performers in 17th century style dress.

When you walk the streets in Vienna you'll be constantly bombarded by salesmen for this concert, stay away. From what I was told, it was all tourists and the audience was very disrespectful. Constantly laughing, talking and taking pictures.

It'd be like someone from Europe going to New York, excited to see an American baseball game, but instead of seeing the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, buying tickets to see minor league teams play in Babe Ruth era costumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this a few days ago on this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2522321

Mrs P wanted to go to the Strauss concert in Vienna. I didn't but she booked it anyway and I went under protest. But I loved it, it was the highlight of the trip for me, and last year when we did the Grand EuropeanTour (Budapest to Amsterdam) we booked the concert excursion again. And loved it just as much.

We were on Viking and its an optional - i.e. fee charged - tour. Second time we paid with OBC.

In the interval you get a free glass of fizz, but it's not Champagne

Description of the included Vienna concert with

Tauck on the Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary. It may also be included in another of their itineraries.

"Tonight, nothing quite compares to the royal treatment you’ll experience at a Tauck Exclusive – our private evening in the Palais Ferstel, a Baroque palace in the heart of the city. Welcome champagne and dinner precede a sumptuous dinner and a live musical performance."

That is, I think it's included...perhaps someone else can confirm? I'm looking forward to it anyway, included or not!

Uniworld had the Vienna concert on our Danube Holiday Markets Passau to Budapest cruise. This cruise started Christmas eve in Passau and ended New Years in Budapest. There was no extra charge for the Vienna concert.

They also offered a private concert (no charge) on our Christmas Markets cruise from Vienna to Nuremberg. It was lovely and one of the highlights of the trip.