First time fly cruise

Aquagirl7

We've booked our first fly cruise for next summer to Malta. How long is it before the cruise do you get notification of your flights and can you pre book seats? Also has any one got any more hints or tips for us newbies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flights can be booked 14 weeks before your cruise, I think the same date you have to pay off the balance. You can book specific seats, there is usually a small charge for this.

When we got to Malta we left our carry on luggage in the cabin and went back off the ship to explore Valletta. If you don't do this you miss out on your embarkation port. However we had been on Oceana before, so didn't need to explore the ship - if it is your first cruise exploring the ship might be a better option. Good thing about Valletta is you walk 200m along the front, then up a lift ( €2) and you are in the city centre.

Bring loose clothing the sea air will expand your waistline, at least I think it is the sea air that does this.

Above all relax and enjoy yourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your replies. This will be our 3rd cruise but our first fly cruise so just a bit worried about getting luggage to and from the ship etc. However despite my worries I can't wait so it's going to be a very long 364 days!!!

You check your hold luggage in at the airport and the next you see it is in your cabin. Disembarkation similar, put your hold luggage outside your cabin the night before you fly and next you see it is on the carousel at your home airport. This means you need to think a little more carefully about what you pack in your carry on luggage. The cases won't arrive for at least a couple of hours after you are on the ship. Getting your clothes right is not always easy, leaving London at 16C in the rain and arriving at Valletta at 32C in the sun may require some forethought. And you need to think about that last night especially remember the restrictions on what you can take through security (eg liquids).

Thanks for your replies. This will be our 3rd cruise but our first fly cruise so just a bit worried about getting luggage to and from the ship etc. However despite my worries I can't wait so it's going to be a very long 364 days!!!

I am assuming your flight is through P&O and you are not flying independently. Once you check your luggage in at your UK departure airport, you won't see it again until it arrives at your cabin. It will be the same on the way home.

When we did the fly cruise to the Mediterranean on Oceana - flying into and out of Genoa - we weren't on the flight where everyone was going on the cruise. We were put, by P&O on a British Airways scheduled flight. There were other people on our flight on the cruise but not everyone on board was. As we weren't on an exclusive P&O flight we had to reclaim our luggage at Genoa Airport and take it outside to a van which would take it to the ship and then it was taken to our cabin. However, on the return we had to just leave our cases outside our cabin the night before as usual and we didn't see it again until we got back to Gatwick. We are going on a 14 night fly cruise to Malta on Oceana next September. We haven't had notification of our flight yet. I'm assuming as we booked early we will be on a P&O bonded flight but we'll see. It wasn't really a hassle getting our luggage at Genoa as Genoa is a very small airport and it didn't take long but obviously not as easy as not having to bother with it.

Fingers crossed we get on a bonded flight, however it doesn't seem to bad even if we have to collect our luggage and take it to a van. I had images of getting our suitcases up the gang plank!! I think the most difficult bit will be as pdw26 pointed out is working out what clothes, liquids we pack on the last night and what we carry in our hand luggage.

Having done fly cruises with Celebrity (rubbish,expensive package)and P&O we can assure you that P&O have it nailed re their transfers. A well oiled machine and we thought it was faultless on Oceana last year. Don't worry at all.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Thompson are bonded flights, seat reservations are £12.50 each way. Get your Euros anywhere but the ship they are offering parity today with the pound despite the tourist rates being higher.