Autistic Teen on Allure of the Seas

Whilst cruising I have always found support from my fellow passengers. If my son melts down or my brother tantrums there is always a friendly smile from someone and the kind words of "your doing well you have this".

Those people whom are rude to those with autism & don't show compassion for others are not the type of people I want to talk to anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those people whom are rude to those with autism & don't show compassion for others are not the type of people I want to talk to anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I totally agree with you. Some people are just rude and inconsiderate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Allure in April and the staff was amazing with my 6yr old autistic son as well as my daughter who has an intellectual disability and ADHD. Adventure Ocean aged them down with no issues and we were on Spring Break so the ship was full. Check in - they took us to the Suite Area (even though we were in a balcony - since its quieter and we board first). Also, upon boarding we went staright to AO to register the kids. That way we had alot of much needed time to get acquainted with the staff and ask questions and not feel we were monopolizing their time from other guests. My Son is very adaptable for being autistic so we did not need special dining needs, muster, etc... but we knew the options were there. I had both my kids watch You Tube Videos of the Allure to get aquainted with the ship and when they boarded, they knew where they wanted to go.

Good Luck on your cruise and report back with your experience.

• 7 months later...

I'd like to piggyback on the OP's question about my own 17 yo daughter with Asperger's. I believe she is more of a mild autism case in that she is very highly functioning (goes to a regular high school, gets A's in honors classes and has a high IQ) but she does not make friends and has some sensory issues. We took her on a Carnival cruise and she didn't like the youth program because the kids all formed cliques. The staff were very kind but not very versed in autism. How is Royal with highly functioning young adults? She will be 18 the next time we cruise. Would she age down to the teen program? Does Royal have a teen program? Will the staff work to assign the teens to include her? I'm worried that she will be bored to death cruising with just mom and dad. Oh, and she doesn't like hanging out with other people with ASD. Just to make it more difficult it seems! LOL