Finally!!

Lovetocruisefar

Ok it looks like I made my decision to go on NCL Sky on September 11. Since the ship stays in Cuba for a day and a half, will I have time to go to Cabaret Tropicana and do the Old Car tour in that time frame? If so which days should I do it??

It also looks like we are gonna wait until we get there to pay for everything. Is that the best choice, cause I don't really see a lot else offered in Cuba, because they are so new of a port?

Thanks all!!

Edited by Lovetocruisefar

Ok it looks like I made my decision to go on NCL Sky on September 11. Since the ship stays in Cuba for a day and a half, will I have time to go to Cabaret Tropicana and do the Old Car tour in that time frame? If so which days should I do it??

It also looks like we are gonna wait until we get there to pay for everything. Is that the best choice, cause I don't really see a lot else offered in Cuba, because they are so new of a port?

Thanks all!!

Yes, for sure.

The Tropicana is a late show, so you could do a car tour either that day, or the next day. All of them should be able to work around the ship's schedule.

As for ship or non ship tours- a few companies have been listed who can help co-ordinate tours before you get there. For our trip back in July, we used Tour Republic- who is based out of Miami, and is kind of a marketplace for people in Cuba to offer tours and what not. I know there are others out there.

The port is so new that few even know what options are available other than the ships main organized tours. My wife tried hard to book a private tour with our cruise company- but they still didn't have a system in place to do that- which is why she turned to the Tour Republic. (which also saved a ton of money).

we used Tour Republic- who is based out of Miami, and .

..being a US and not a Cuban company, which may not qualify as an entity to use after the regs change.

The port is so new that few even know what options are available other than the ships main organized tours. .

Maybe....The port is so new that few CRUISERS on THIS forum even know what options are available other than the ships main organized tours.

Most other tourists are getting one of the many available guidebooks and reading the other Cuba travel forums on the internet (like Trip Advisor).

Because US tourists have only been going in droves since September 2916 when direct commercial flights started, do not forget that the rest of the world has been traveling to Cuba for years. There is a huge tourist infrastructure.

Seems like half the population of Canada is down there when it's cold at home. ;-)

Y, we used Tour Republic- who is based out of Miami, and is kind of a marketplace for people in Cuba to offer tours and what not. .

Doesn't seem to be any different than TourbyLocals which is also a clearing house for guides throughout the world. One benefit is that they accept credit cards.

That being said, VidaNaPraia is making the point that more money goes into the local (Cuban) economy by trying to deal directly with the Cuban guides.

I go a lot with the recommendations and suggestions made by ViaNaPraia remembering that "in the land of the blind, the one eye woman is queen".

She goes there and knows the Territory! You might like everything she says but it is something you have to consider.

ToursByLocals has rates and policies that are not extortionate for the local service providers they list. Or for tourists.

Prices of services like this in Cuba are not likely to put you in harm's way if you carry cash to directly pay the local Cuban provider.

Cuba is a cash economy. You choose to go to Cuba. Adapt to conditions there.

Tommui987, by the time you get back from your coming trip, building on your significant prior personal experience in Cuba, certainly you will be the reigning Cuba expert here.

Meanwhile, I'm on my way again. Hopefully the Cyclops to Cyclops reason for travel is valid.

Tommui987, by the time you get back from your coming trip, building on your significant prior personal experience in Cuba, certainly you will be the reigning Cuba expert here.

Meanwhile, I'm on my way again. Hopefully the Cyclops to Cyclops reason for travel is valid.

I hope you are not misinterpreting my comments.

An experience as a callowed 13-14 year kid some seventy years ago is not a significant personal experience as compared to someone who is a frequent traveler to Cuba.

I would rely on a frequent visitor to Cuba rather than a one-time visitor or one that spends time only at Varadero Beach.

Look into Old Car Tours. Rodrigo is great and is very patient answering any questions. They have great drivers and guides. I was there as a solo female passenger in May this year. They treated me like a princess. I took 2 tours (1 on Tues. and 1 on Weds.) and had a wonderful time. Nacho and Yasser were the guides and they are SO knowledgeable, funny and gentleman. My hat blew off on Tues (a cheap hat) and I told Nacho NOT to worry about. He insisted on running into a busy street and retrieving my hat! Weds. I forgot something in Yasser's knapsack. It took Yasser a LOT of time and effort to get a cruise ship employee to meet him at the port entry and get my forgotten item onto the ship and put into the L & F.