Norwegian Gem Wifi quality

hls74

We're going to be on the Gem in a few weeks, sailing to Canada/NYC. Can anyone comment on the quality of the wifi available onboard? As far as stability, data speeds, ability to stream video, make calls using video chat (such as facetime), broadcast live video (facebook live), etc. What exactly should I expect? Haven't been on a cruise since 2010, and the best you had then was excruciatingly slow internet terminals.

If anyone has an idea of average Mbps up and down, that would be great.

Satellite WiFi internet should work reasonably well - it's not your turbo cable broadband and definitely not quantum fiber optics (Fios) Video calling works for us (as it should over 3G or 256 kbps connection, or better/faster) - can't tell you about video streaming as they take up much more bandwidth ... being cached and shared dynamically, it could be throttled or slowed down to ease congestions, under the concept of fair sharing with 2,500 pax and 1,1000 crews onboard.

I.T. technologies has evolved quite a bit over the past 7 or 8 years ... my Motorola "Q" smartphone based on Windows 6.5 (and Blackberries ... also used QWERTY keyboards) was not designed to need 3G speed, it was functional on Edge speed in 2010.

Upload speed is generally faster than download speed - I would say it's somewhere between 3G and 4G/HSPA+ with but high latency, benchmarks like speedtest were not all that useful.

It * also * depends on your hardware & planned usage - ;p

Here's a bonus tip: a dual band device will enjoy less congestion while in range ... 50 meters to 75 meters of the nearest hotspot signal.

I just got off Gem on Saturday and had the WiFi. It's spotty, but it does work pretty good. I did a FaceTime call and had no problems. Checked Facebook everyday along with my mail. One warning if you don't get the ultimate plane, then you should turn it off after you use it or your minutes will run out real fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk