Have you noticed any changes regarding takeoff's

Karysa

Today I noticed that all but one of the big jets (an AA) took off over the water this afternoon between 2:30 and 4 while we were at Sunset Bar and Grill. The smaller planes all took off over the mountain.

Strangely, the KLM took off over the water around 5:30 today and went about as far as Cupecoy and did a 180 degree turn and went back over Maho while still climbing. This seemed so odd to both of us.

Neither DH nor myself noticed any fence surfers at all today.

Another thing that we noticed is that there were a lot more, and bigger "no parking" signs along the airport fence around the corner from Sunset since our visit last fall. We parked in the lot and brought our parking ticket in and I validated it after I purchased one drink. I thought that I would try early so I wouldn't forget to do it. lol I'm not exactly sure if there is a specific amount that you need to spend to get your parking free but $9 did it today.

I was there last week and no planes took off over the water, including the heavies, such as the Air France A340, KLM A330, and TUI 787. However, I could see the airport from my apartment balcony, and the next day, the Air Caraibes A330 and the Air France A340 took off towards the water. The planes can always land over the water, and have to considering the height of the mountain, but since all of the planes can take off in either direction, it usually has to do with the wind patterns. Planes take off into the wind to reduce the amount of runway that they need. So I assume on your particular day, the wind was blowing west to east.

Why would the KLM take out toward the water and turned around and head over Maho? DH and I have seen hundreds of take off's over many years of having our timeshare here and this was the first time that either of us had seen that. Seemed so weird. Weather was excellent and no other planes took off or landed within 10 minutes of the KLM's departure at around 5:30 pm.

Why would the KLM take out toward the water and turned around and head over Maho? DH and I have seen hundreds of take off's over many years of having our timeshare here and this was the first time that either of us had seen that. Seemed so weird. Weather was excellent and no other planes took off or landed within 10 minutes of the KLM's departure at around 5:30 pm.

It was likely due to the winds. Weather changes by the second, and at 5:30 on an August evening, it is likely that the winds were favorable to take off towards the West, and then bank toward the right to climb out over in the direction out of Maho. Also, remember where it was going. If it was a JetBlue plane going to FLL or JFK, it wouldn't have banked out over Maho, as it would've only banked towards the right until it was facing north. But since it was going to Amsterdam, the complete opposite direction, it rotate even further so it could head out east towards Europe. You may not see it often, but it surely does happen. I've seen it on every one of my trips, and I've been the seasons, at many different times of day. I haven't seen a plane land from the east side of the runway, always the west, but I know they take off in both directions.