Ultimate Dining Package Review (Anthem)

Just wanted to post a few comments about our use of the Ultimate Dining Package for our late July trip (5 nights) on Anthem of the Seas. We paid $240 for two people. I'm 40 and my husband is 54 and we don't have kids. We just came back from an Alaska trip on Celebrity in Aqua class so we felt like we might be disappointed in the MDR (I have no idea really) but on such a big ship this slightly more intimate dining option seemed like a good plan for us and it was!

We were not able to select our restaurants and times in advance but we just stopped off at Wonderland right when we got on the ship (it was closest) and a wonderful hostess signed us up for all of our nights of dining. We got everything we wanted at pretty much the exact times we wanted. (Our first night we adjusted our original request 30 mins but everything else was exact.)

We ate at Chops twice, Wonderland once (that was the only restriction was you could only dine here once-not sure how it is on longer cruises) we ate at Izumi once, and Jamie's once all for dinner. It also allowed us to eat at Chops and Jamie's on sea days for lunch which was a REAL treat. Super quiet and no fighting for tables in the Windjammer. We had great food and service at all locations but the standout was Izumi surprisingly and we are picky about sushi but they gave us a $100 credit and we only spent $68 and we were stuffed.

I would say our only disappointment with the specialty restaurants had nothing to do with the Ultimate Dining plan. We had a beverage package and most of the wines available in the specialty restaurants were not covered under our plan. Kind of frustrating when you like wine with dinner and paid for the package.

I'd be happy to answer any questions!

Thanks for letting know that you were able to book suitable times. Have booked package for myself as well on Ovation. However there isn't any restriction mentioned in the terms that Wonderland could be visited only once. They have such restriction on Specialty Dining Package (extra visit 10 dollars) but not stated on fine print for UDP. I have planned to visit Wonderland twice and probably will have to print the terms with me so they won't charge the extra then.

Was something mentioned to you about Johnny Rockets, Vintages or Michael's Genuine Pub? Those also have Specialty dining available and based on fine print those aren't excluded as options for using the package.

I would think any of those other locations could be used with the $50 PP dinner option, I am not sure about how it would work for lunch but you would def think that on a sea day they would cover you at those places (which are cheaper than the others?)

I would think any of those other locations could be used with the $50 PP dinner option, I am not sure about how it would work for lunch but you would def think that on a sea day they would cover you at those places (which are cheaper than the others?)

At least Michael's Genuine Pub offers lunch - so does Johnny Rockets (Kung Fu Panda on Ovation). Izumi is also open for lunch and there isn't restriction mentioned it couldn't be visited during lunch as well.

When visited Anthem they had just launched Specialty dining package and it was a mess. Luckily had a fine print with us to get all things clear in restaurants.

Janet mojo,

Thanks for writing this review as I am getting the ultimate dining package on the Oasis over Labor Day. We are also getting the drink package.

I have a couple of questions. You said there weren't any glasses of wine covered by the package. If you remember, were there any that were only a few dollars over the drink package limit? I might not get the drink package if I can't really use it at dinner.

Also, do you have any insight as to if the $50 per person credit for specialty dining is one and done or if you have $50 to be used every time one would eat at a specialty restaurant?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The $50 is each time for dinner (not sure about lunch). There were a couple glasses on each menu, I mean I'm not a big wine snob but for example in Chops I couldn't even get a Chardonnay on the beverage package and I was just annoyed by that. Also at Izumi there were no sakes covered by the plan (which just sort of ticked us off, what's sushi without sake?)

The $50 is each time for dinner (not sure about lunch). There were a couple glasses on each menu, I mean I'm not a big wine snob but for example in Chops I couldn't even get a Chardonnay on the beverage package and I was just annoyed by that. Also at Izumi there were no sakes covered by the plan (which just sort of ticked us off, what's sushi without sake?)

If you have the package you can pay the difference - for example if drink is 15 dollars, then you pay just 3 dollars + 18% gratuity = 3,54 dollars. So you don't have to pay the whole amount - package covers drink price to 12 dollars. It is annoying that wines aren't included in the package price but luckily not having to pay the full amount.

What comes to 50 dollars for a la carte, it is at least not excluded for lunch in fine print. I assume that for example going to Izumi for lunch - I can use 50 dollars in there.

Just to add, on select ships, the beverage package covers Drinks and Wine up to $13. And Anthem is one of them. At least it was last March. We had a $14 glass of wine on several occasions and my bill reflected the $1.18 charge every time. We were never charged any extra on any cocktail we ordered and many of them are prices at $13 on the menus.

dp

Just to add, on select ships, the beverage package covers Drinks and Wine up to $13. And Anthem is one of them. At least it was last March. We had a $14 glass of wine on several occasions and my bill reflected the $1.18 charge every time. We were never charged any extra on any cocktail we ordered and many of them are prices at $13 on the menus.

dp

You are correct - some ships have the limit 12 dollars and some 13 dollars. It is very confusing - haven't found any information of exact ships. Some state that it is 13 dollars on Oasis class but Anthem is Quantum class ship.

I don't know if it is available on any of your cruises or not but there is a new combo - Ultimate Dining Package + Deluxe Beverage Package.

It is available on our upcoming Harmony 16 Sept. cruise for $71 PP/PD.

There may already be a thread started on this...don't know. But it is fairly new - as of this week some time. It is not available on any of the cruises we have booked except for the Harmony cruise in Sept.

I don't know if it is available on any of your cruises or not but there is a new combo - Ultimate Dining Package + Deluxe Beverage Package.

There may already be a thread started on this...don't know. But it is fairly new - as of this week some time. It is not available on any of the cruises we have booked except for the Harmony cruise in Sept.

That sounds good - is it 71 dollars included 18% gratuity? I have booked the both so would benefit of such pricing. Though planning to book Deluxe Drinks Package + VOOM combo - so it will also give small saving.

Janet mojo,

Thanks for writing this review as I am getting the ultimate dining package on the Oasis over Labor Day. We are also getting the drink package.

I have a couple of questions. You said there weren't any glasses of wine covered by the package. If you remember, were there any that were only a few dollars over the drink package limit? I might not get the drink package if I can't really use it at dinner.

Also, do you have any insight as to if the $50 per person credit for specialty dining is one and done or if you have $50 to be used every time one would eat at a specialty restaurant?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a pkg that combines the UBP and UDP together that showed up on cruise planner. You might want to check it out . Maybe could save some money .

Thanks for the information. At least I'll be prepared for it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's not offered September 3 on the Oasis. Depending on how much gratuity is added, it could be a really good deal.

It's not offered September 3 on the Oasis. Depending on how much gratuity is added, it could be a really good deal.

I would have to assume that since the beverage package and a Dining package both involve "Service" it will probably be 18% on the combo of the 2. On our last cruise, the VOOM & Drink combo package only had a 14.5% Service charge since there is no service charge on the VOOM only package.

So, would a Dining package and Beverage package combo include a specialty restaurant every dinner since you are paying on a "Per day" basis? I would love to see the details.

dp

Even though I am not going to purchase it, I went to my Cruise Planner and mock booked the UDP + DBP. The total came to $1125 for both of us and I assume that this includes whatever grats there are going to be. From what I understand from others who have done more research than I, the 18% grats are added to the drinks portion but not to the food portion.

I have a quick question!

My hubby and I are going along on the Anthem next year with our three kiddos, and we have two cabins booked. Can you tell me if we need to get the Ultimate Dining Package for all members of our family? Or can we just use it for ourselves? If we get it for the kids, do you happen to know what the price might be for kids? Our kids are 11, 13 and 15. Thanks!

I have a quick question!

My hubby and I are going along on the Anthem next year with our three kiddos, and we have two cabins booked. Can you tell me if we need to get the Ultimate Dining Package for all members of our family? Or can we just use it for ourselves? If we get it for the kids, do you happen to know what the price might be for kids? Our kids are 11, 13 and 15. Thanks!

I don't know what the kid's price would be, but you are not required to purchase the dining package for the entire family.