retirement round table

m steve

I'm just about to retire and love to travel. I think that others who have aready retired could offer good avice to me about how they budget for cruises and other travels. I wonder if Princess would set up an hour daily while at sea where newbies and experienced retirees could discuss this. It would help them get more travelers to take their cruises. Any idea who I should contact? I find that most older people are happy to offer advise. I am 68 but feel young but I bet many 80's feel the sme way.:confused:

We have found that since retiring, we started a small business to add to our cruising fund. It has let us take 3-4 cruises a year with minimal work effort.

I have never been able to say the word "Budget" and cruising in the same sentence before. It just is not the cheapest way to travel on a budget we feel.

Budgeting is so personal. It really depends on your cash flow. If you have more coming in then going out and are not disciplined about saving, I would start a holiday account with your bank. That's an account where to have them automatically take a certain amount from your checking or savings each month and place it in a savings type of account. Then you automatically receive a check or deposited to your account at a specific time each year. It really boils down to discipline. Pay yourself first.

BTW I don't think gambling is the way to go for the majority of people. Unless you're one of the top card players in the world, you will never come out ahead.

Rule 1# Live within your means

Fact 1# People don't plan to fail, but fail to plan.

Sounds like you are trying to take both into account. I would suggest consulting with a known Certified Senior Adviser.

Good luck.

To go back to the OP's question, Princess often has financial planning type lectures on sea days. DH is a new retiree and has gone to them on a couple of cruises. They have been minimally helpful but even if you learn just a little it can be worth it. ;) As far as getting newbies and established retirees together, I would think that would be the majority population of the ship! :eek:

I just thought that some more experienced cruisers could help us newly retired plan vacations better. My financial advisor likes me letting him dole out my quarterly allowance but doesn't look at where I spend it. It would be helpful about types of cruises to take, destinations and how to handle air miles.

I hope to take 2 cruisers a year, several split weeks at time share locations by trading and perhaps squeeze in a last minute cruise from Fl.

Archived