Ferry to St. John

luv2getaway

We will be in St.Thomas in November from the CP. We are interested in going to St. John by ferry and then snorkelling at Trunk Bay. Can someone tell me where the ferry terminal is in Charlotte Amalie and any other information that will help us to get there and back? Thanks in advance!

It's actually easier to take the ferry from Red Hook. Just get off the ship, take a taxi to Red Hook (approx. 10-15 minute taxi ride depending on morning traffic). Ferry runs every hour on the hour beginning at 8 a.m. Cost is $3 pp each way. The ferry ride is about 20 minutes over to Cruz Bay, St. John. We usually spend the morning at Trunk Bay, and bring clean clothes so we can shower and dress before heading back over to St. Thomas. If you are planning on doing shopping, then it's more convenient to take the ferry back to Charlotte Amalie so it drops you near the shopping area.

We usually walk around the area near Cruz Bay before we catch the ferry back. We stop in a few stores and have a drink in a little bar in called Woody's that had the absolute best conch fritters!

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

The ferry from Charlotte Amalie is just to the left of the dock where your ship will be. You could walk there, but a taxi ride over is better. I have taken the ferry from there and I've taken it from Red Hook. The taxi ride to Red Hook is kinda long...the cooling breeze of the ferry ride is much better plus you can sight see along the coast.

I would recommend taking a taxi to Red Hook from the ship. If you're lucky you can make the 8 AM ferry. If not, there's a 9 AM ferry. The taxi ride is about 20 minutes.

In leaving St. John, I would take the Charlotte Amalie ferry. There's one that leaves St. John about 1:15 PM. It's about a 30-35 minute ride and drops you off in downtown Charlotte Amalie.

If you haven't been to St. John - this is a must see! Beautiful, beautiful!

Kerri

Fantasy 7/96 & 3/99

Triumph 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Majesty of the Seas 5/02

Grand Princess 5/03

Navigator of the Seas 5/04

Disney Wonder - September 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;09;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The ferry ride from Charlotte Amalie is about 45 minutes each way. The ferry from Red Hook is about 15 minutes each way. (Look at a map of St. Thomas). Man - our taxi rides to Red Hook on cruise ship days took a lot longer than 20 minutes! Think traffic, and really narrow roads....and A LOT of cruise ships in port! Red Hook is at the far eastern end of St. Thomas, which is a long skinny island, and the western "fat" part is where Charlotte Amalie is. Then look at as map of St. John. It is off the NE coast of St. Thomas. Keep in mind that the later afternoon ferries carry the island/resort workers from St. John back to St. Thomas, and they're really full. Cruise passengers who have booked the St. John excursion through the cruise ships have first priority...and there are SEVERAL cruise ships at St. Thomas during the week! If you're doing this independently, you have to be VERY careful about taking the ferry back to St. Thomas, whether to Charlotte Amalie (close to ship piers) or Red Hook (LONG taxi ride back to the pier!)

icon_cool.gif

Thanks for all the good information. We plan to go to St. John in September. Jean icon_cool.gif

RCCL-Sovereign of the Seas-9/91- Caribbean- 7 days

RCCL-Majesty of the Seas-11/92 - Caribbean-7 days

RCCL-Legend of the Seas-11/95-Panama Canal-11 days

Grand Princess - 11/98 - Caribbean-7 days

Dawn Princess - 10/2000-Caribbean-7 days

Star Princess - 5/18/02 - Alaska cruisetour-12 days

Celebrity - Galaxy 12/13/02 - Western Caribbean-10 days

Island Princess - 11/26/03 - Panama Canal-10 days

Southern Caribbean - Golden Princess - 9/12/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hawaii - Island Princess - 2/3/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We are planning on doing the red hook ferry. is there ever a worry about being turned away from the ferry in St John because too many people? I don't want to stay too late and have a chance of missing our ship?

Red Hook over, CA back. Depending on what time your ship leaves STT you should plan to be on the ferry to CA at least 2 hours early. If you are going to St. Maartin on a stop, wait until you are there to buy your jewelry,etc. Plus a new boardwalk has put in which is very accomodating with restaurants, etc.

I agree with jerserygirl - go to Woody's near the dock terminal, its a small white (was a couple of years ago) building straight ahead. People standing in the streets talking and enjoying a drink or two.

Somtimes I think if I ever got off the ship in STJ, I might never get back on......

Grand Princess 4/4/04

I thought we were the only clever ones who take Red Hook over, and Charlotte Amalie back! I don't like a long ferry ride (I get a little seasick on smaller boats), so the short ride over to St. John from Red Hook suits me. The reason we take it back to CA is so we're closer to shopping, and this way we don't have to go back to the ship first. And I think the taxi ride to Red Hook from the ships in the morning is so exciting...it ranks right up there with the best rides in Disney World! Am I the only one who has noticed the front right fender of every car in St. Thomas is dented in? (they ride on the opposite side of the road).

Anyway, to be in St. Thomas and not go to St. John is tragic. I know people think it's a hassle to get over there, but trust me, it's not. We've done it with 8 kids in tow (okay, they were teenagers, so they were potty trained and walked, but still...). Anyway, we always get off the ship early and make the 8 a.m. ferry from Red Hook. We prefer to spend the morning hours over on St. John before it gets crowded. We are heading back to St. Thomas around noon or 1 p.m. just as all the crowds are showing up (and after we've had a drink and conch fritters at Woody's). This way, too, we don't have to worry about missing the ship.

The other nice thing about taking the 8 a.m. ferry over is that it is full of mostly St. Thomas natives who are on their way over to St. John to work for the day. They are some of the nicest, most interesting people. It's fun having a conversation with them on the way over to St. John. Lovely people, all of the ones we've met.

Great info here! I have two questions: How much is the taxi (for two) from the ship pier to Red Hook, generally? I was able to locate a price on the VI website from Cruz to Trunk Bay on St. John ($9 for two). Does this sound right? I'm just trying to get a comparision between cruise excursion prices and going on our own.

Thanks again!

Michele

10/04 - Caribbean Princess

1/03 - Carnival Victory

6/89 - Chandris SS Britanis

Just back from STT last week and did this very trip. $8 cab to red hook. $3 pp for the ferry, $4 pp for cab from cruz to Trunk Bay, then $4 for park entry. Absolutely wonderful beach. We talked with a local dive master on the way over and she suggested going one more stop out to Cinnamon bay, said it was as good as Trunk just not as crowded, and no snorkel trail. The advantage of Cinnamon is theya re not charging the park enrty fee yet and the cab fare is the same. It was a great trip, just kinda pricey once you pay for 3 people ($34 pp). We were the only ship in town so no crowds that day even at Trunk Bay. I am glad I did it this time as we had been to STT several times before. Much better than COKI beach. I will also 2nd what another poster said about getting seasick on the ferry. My wife was pretty sick to her stomach after the ferry ride and cab ride to Trunk, so be aware.

RCI Sov. of the Seas 11/96

Carnival Elation 6/2000

Carnival Sensation 5/2002

Celebrity Century 11/2002

Celebrity Century 10/2003

Celebrity Century 11/2003

RCI Grandeur 5/2004

Princess Caribbean Princess 10/2004

May God bless the USA and all those fighting for freedom!

Robo, even though the price works out to $34pp, it's still much more fun to do on your own. I'm not sure how much of a savings it is over booking it with the cruiseline, but at least doing it on your own you can do it at your pace and spend as much time as you'd like. You're not a slave to the cruiseline's schedule or their crowds.

We've been to both Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay beaches. Cinnamon Bay is larger and has more beach area, but Trunk Bay had more "facilities" such as showers, etc. Also, to get to where there was any good snorkeling at Cinnamon, you had to swim pretty far out,a nd the water was a little rougher. But either are good choices.

Right, jerseygirl. A lot of it depends on how many other ships are in STT that day. I've been there when there were five other ships, and just did a little shopping and got back on the ship. Personally, I like Cinnamon Bay better when I just want to "beach" it, but usually get back on the ship looking pretty "ragged" icon_biggrin.gif! The snorkelling trail at Trunk Bay was great the first few times. I would really recommend going to St. John if you've never been there, but once again...be careful about taking a late ferry back to Red Hook or CA.

I wasn't complaining about the price, just wanted to give current prices. The family we were traveling with had five people so it could get fairly expensive. It is also a hassle to go through all the maneuvers to get there. Not quite as easy as a cab ove to Coki or Maegan's bay or as relaxing. The beach is much better. Also to clarify the local we rode with and another couple form the ship that went to Cinnamon stated that there are facilities at Cinnamon now. They really enjoyed there time at Cinnamon and we had a great time at Trunk. Just don't know if I would do it again. But very glad we did it this time.

RCI Sov. of the Seas 11/96

Carnival Elation 6/2000

Carnival Sensation 5/2002

Celebrity Century 11/2002

Celebrity Century 10/2003

Celebrity Century 11/2003

RCI Grandeur 5/2004

Princess Caribbean Princess 10/2004

May God bless the USA and all those fighting for freedom!

***** is a great website about St. Thomas and St. John. The ferry schedule is listed on the site.

Kerri

Fantasy 7/96 & 3/99

Triumph 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Majesty of the Seas 5/02

Grand Princess 5/03

Navigator of the Seas 5/04

Disney Wonder - September 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;09;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Miracle - November 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived