Spirit- electrical outlets

niki1785

I'm leaving on the 8th of January on the Spirit, and have read that there limited outlets for American electronics. Does anyone know is this is true, and if so, how many outlets there are? I am packing a portable DVD player as to have something to do on down time, and was wondering if that will plug in? Also, how could a girl vacation with out her blow dryer and curling iron!? Also the digital camera will need to be plugged in...

o no, i keep thinking of more things!

Thanks all! :)

There is one outlet near the desk in the cabin. There is one outlet in the bathroom. That's it.

I would recommend you bring along an extension cord and a multi-tap to use in the cabin for your electrical needs.

Bring a power strip.... It will provide more outlets.....

But leave your hair dryer at home. Most American hair dryers use 1800 watts or more, the circuits on the Spirit are limited to 500 watts. You don't want to be the one who trips the circuit breakers leaving your area of the ship without any electricity whatsoever.

The Spirit was built for the Asian market, its wiring is of a smaller gauge than the larger gauge in the American market. While its wiring is suitable for the Asian market, its okay for the American market except it seems for hair dryers....

Please use the hair dryer NCL has provided in the bath room. While its not the most powerful dryer, it does seem to do the job in twice or thrice the time.... Well, some have said so and some haven't....

All of the rest of your electronics should be okay, battery rechargers, pcs, dvd players, electric razors....

If European ladies can use less powerful hair dryers and look great, I wonder why American ladies can't or won't?

NIKI 1785:

Have you signed up for the Roll Call for the Jan. 8 sailing of the Spirit? If not, come on over to the Roll Call and meet all of us. We are planning parties, excursions, etc.

Beth in Georgia

HOW "BOUT" them DAWGS!

Here is what I bring

1. laptop

2. still camera

3. toothbrushes (2)

4. video camera

5. fan

6. noise machine

7. PDA

8. cell phones (2)

9. crok pot

10. Alarm clock

Need about 12 outlets

You're on a ship where you already paid fo ryour meals, and you're bringing a crok pot along? Looking at that list, I could easily knock it in half.

I would bring two, old fashioned, hand operated toothbrushes along, there's no need to bring electric powered brushes, the unnecessary crok pot, as I plan to eat out at every meal, at least one of the two cell phones, why you need two when I can get buy with neither , either the PDA or laptop, as either can replace the other for most purposes, the noise machine, as turning on the TV with low volume within the stateroom should provide sufficent noise, and that electric fan, why you want it is beyond me, as one could just turn the air conditioner up higher, or turn the room's fan on all the time. Even the fan should make sufficient noise to not need a noise machine.

Golly, you're on vacation to get away and get some rest and recreation, why bring modern electronic gadgets along? There's live music performers aboard, there's several channels on the TV aboard, there's a sport's bar aboard, there's plenty of activites to keep you occupied.

Except for my cameras, I don't bring anything electric along. Yes, the notebook, iPod, CD and DVD players, electric toothbruses, electic shaver, electric hair clippers, electric clocks, electric hair dryers, calculators, mobile phones, etc stays at home.

I do bring my camera and camcorder, a new book I haven't found time to read at home, old fashioned hand operated clock, twin blade razor, comb, and toothbrush. The only other things I pack are clothes, money, and the official papers required, tickets, passports, tickets, etc.

If I need entertainment, I'll go to a live activity aboard the ship. If I need food, I'll go to one of the many places to eat aboard the ship. If I need something to drink, I'll go to one of the many watering holes aboard the ship.

But to each their own, but I've discovered after many cruises that electric gadgets weigh alot more than hand operated gadgets. How many power receptacles do I need? One, for the camera/camcorder battery chargers.

• 1 month later...

Don Haynes,You seem especially familiar with info about the spirit. Las month someone posted a comment that if you had a 220 dual voltage hair dryer you could use it on the spirit without a problem. I have one of those where the voltage can be changed, but does this avoid the problem of blowing the electricity. I tried asking when that info was first posted but never received a reply. Anyone who can help please answer.

The 110 Volt power outlets are limited to 500 watts on the Spirit. The 220 Volt power outlets probably aren't as limited. But I wouldn't want you to use a 110 Volt hair dryer at 220 Volts simply by changing the plugs.

There are power converters which you can buy to properly change the voltage. But why do so when there is a hair dryer already provided?

I'm not sure, please use this link to discover whether your plug is useful for the 220 volt outlet of the Spirit:

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/world-electricity-conversion.html

So the answer relies on what type of plug your 220 Volt dryer has.... and whether it matches the outlet on the Spirit. Frankly, I don't recall the 220 Volt outlet on the Spirit, but I would assume its for the British plug type D, having been built for former British Asian colonies.

While there are five different plugs, there are now 10 different outlets. Back during the 1960s many countries including America added a third ground prong to their plugs and outlets. However, the old two prong plugs still work in the new three prong outlet. Of course, with an adapter a new three prong plug can fit into an old two prong outlet.

If your prongs on your plug doesn't match the British rectangular prongs and its round, you can use your 220 Volt hair dryer with an adapter....assuming the hair dryer consumes less than 500 watts at 220 Volts. But NCL has already provided a 900 watt 220 Volt hair dryer already.

I do hope the information at this link helps you. These adapters and converters aren't expensive.

This is a hair dryer that has a switch to be used either at 110 v or 220 v, with an adapter provided for different plug configurations. It is however, 1500 watts, and my main question was if the 220v connection in the ships cabin could handle higher wattage at the voltage the ship was built for. I have heard the dryer provided in the room does a questionable job, but mostly my concern was because of a hair loss problem, I need to be especially careful when handling or drying my hair and if possible would prefer my own dryer.Thanks for your input.

I went on the Spirit in 2004. I believe that the hair dryers in the rooms can basically be considered at the "low" setting on your regular hair dryer.

Yes, it does take awhile to dry your hair. I would either try to let my hair air dry for a little while, shower the night before and touch up in the morning with the hair dryer, or just put my hair up :)

I wish I would have had all of this valuable advice back then!

I would just use the hair dryer that is already there. I was on the Spirit in Feb and used my own hair dryer. It worker okay for a few days then the outlet it was plugged into didn't work anymore so we had to go tell them. They were not happy about this since they tell you not to use them, but they still fixed it quickly.

I have long hair and have always been satisfied with NCL's hair dryers. Including the one on the Spirit. It is more of the vacuum-cleaner-hose type and not great for styling, but it is just fine for drying.

I don't care if it does take longer to dry my hair (not much longer, by the way) because I am glad to not have to take mine along. One less thing in that suitcase that seems to get heavier every time I use it!

Archived