carry on luggage?

lisap612

We'll be flying to Miami and making a connecting flight. We're thinking we should try to pack all of our belongings for the cruise in to our carryon luggage and just go with that. Do you think we'll have enough room. 4 night cruise.. Thanks.

The airline has a size and weight limit for carryons. How many are in your party? I can't possibly imagine taking enough things for a 4-night cruise in carryon bags. Overhead compartments and under the seat storage on the planes is all you'll have.

I'd say just check one BIG piece of luggage, if you're trying to avoid having too many bags, because you'll be defeating your purpose otherwise. Good luck.

I would suggest taking 2 suitcases and cross packing in them. Be sure that your carry-on contains what you HAVE to have on the cruise, just in case your luggage goes astray. We pack one casual, one formal, our swimsuits, and personal items in our carry-ons, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your packing habits, it could be done. Mix and match, wearing pants or shorter skirts in a knit rather than a long formal dress that needs special packing. Wear the same clothes for disembarkation that you did to embark, wear the same shorts or jeans at least twice. Wash out your unmentionables in the sink (and hope they dry in time!). Combine all toiletries so you are only taking one small bottle for each purpose, or tolerate their products and their hairdryer. Pack only one extra pair of shoes for evening and one pair of flip flops for the pool.

I actually have a harder time packing for a shorter cruise than a longer one. On a short cruise, there's really no time to have much stuff laundered or dry cleaned and I like to have at least a day or two in between wearing the same article of clothing again. I also find I have to have the same amount of toiletries/first aid kit/camera supplies for a short trip.

In reality, I like to not carry on too much onto an airplane, I like the freedom and ease of having next to nothing to get down those narrow aisles. We try to stick with one small carry on, my purse and our camera case. On return trips, we even sometimes check through our carry on and only have the purse and camera case, it's such a pleasure to travel light!

Cuizer2, no you CANNOT take two carryons per person, especially on flights that are going to or from Miami or Ft Lauderdale. We just returned from a cruise out of FLL, and every couple of minutes you heard various gate agents saying, "Only ONE carryon per person, and then one thing like a purse or camera bag. If you have more than one large carryon, you must bring it to the desk and we will check it for you. Carryons cannot be overstuffed because they will not fit into the overheads. If you have a carryon that's bulging, please bring it to the desk and we will check it for you" And they did take away carryons from every passenger who had more than one.

I don't see how anyone can pack for a four night cruise in one carryon. You have to have clothes for four nights, including a formal night, clothes for daytime including a bathing suit and cover up, shoes, underwear and other personal items. I can pack for two days in a carry on, but definitely not four.

Cuizer2, no you CANNOT take two carryons per person, especially on flights that are going to or from Miami or Ft Lauderdale. We just returned from a cruise out of FLL, and every couple of minutes you heard various gate agents saying, "Only ONE carryon per person, and then one thing like a purse or camera bag. If you have more than one large carryon, you must bring it to the desk and we will check it for you. Carryons cannot be overstuffed because they will not fit into the overheads. If you have a carryon that's bulging, please bring it to the desk and we will check it for you" And they did take away carryons from every passenger who had more than one.

I don't see how anyone can pack for a four night cruise in one carryon. You have to have clothes for four nights, including a formal night, clothes for daytime including a bathing suit and cover up, shoes, underwear and other personal items. I can pack for two days in a carry on, but definitely not four.

I said you can have two carryons, not two large carryons. One for the overhead bin, one for under the seat. I have done it.

You wear your formal wear on the plane. You need two other pants, four shirts, socks, underwear, one extra pair of shoes, one light jacket, bathing suit, and toiletries.

You have to pack light and wear some things twice. I am not saying I would do it, but I know it can be done. If I can pack for a long weekend with one carryon, the extras I would need for a four day cruise would easily fit in a 2nd small carryon.

You wear your formal wear on the plane.

Hmmm... I'm picturing trying to go through security with studs, cufflinks, metal buckle on the cummerbund... :p

Seriously, I think the 1 bag carry on limit is on some of the smaller aircraft. I'm thinking specifically of the Air Canada jet, which is a great little plane but doesn't have room for 2 bags pp, and even a single full-regulation-sized carryon won't fit in the overhead compartment. Also, no closet for garment bags and baby seats (Yay!)

I can't imagine why a destination airport would care one way or the other. It delays turnaround by maybe 10 minutes, but the airlines would be more interested in that problem. I could see if the airport restricted carry on luggage before going through security, but that is apparently not the case here.

I have heard similar announcements on full flights, but they clearly and specifically say that is a full flight and "if you're second carry on can't fit under the seat, please come up and check it..." Of course, they don't enforce the rule until the bins fill up and somebody gets screwed out of having even 1 bag because they happened to be in the last group called to board.

Hmmm... I'm picturing trying to go through security with studs, cufflinks, metal buckle on the cummerbund... :p

I have to take my watch, belt and shoes off for security. I put the stuff in one of the bags. If I had studs, cufflinks .. I would put those in the bag too. On the other hand, I have been wanded also. Seems there was something metal in my collar. I got to the airplane a minute later, but since boarding had not started yet, no big deal.

What you say about the type of aircraft is true. Some cannot handle a full sized carryon even if the plane is empty. On those you check your bag at the door of the plane and pick it up again when you get off. Your carryon does not end up with the checked luggage like a gate checked bag will on a full flight.

Nonetheless, the question was, can it be done, not should it be done. I would not do it, but I still believe it can be done.

Unless they're really tight,you could probably wear three pair of pants and four shirts. If you dont' have to change your underwear every day,that helps cut down. Shoes take a lot of space,but if you keep all your clothing in the same color scheme,you can get away with just black or brown.:D

I have to take my watch, belt and shoes off for security. I put the stuff in one of the bags. If I had studs, cufflinks .. I would put those in the bag too.

Ditto. Though I actually put the belt in the checked bag, and always wear tennis shoes. I was just envisioning the idea of effectively starting to undress by taking off the studs and cuffs. That's a bit different (and certainy more humerous) than taking off a watch or even a belt... provided a person's pants don't fall down without a belt, of course. :o

Nonetheless, the question was, can it be done, not should it be done. I would not do it, but I still believe it can be done.

I agree, though I've never understood the people who would "lug" their luggage through the airport to save a few minutes at the baggage claim. I guess I've only flown a 150 or 160 thousand miles, so maybe when I get to be a big time traveller... ;)

I said you can have two carryons, not two large carryons. One for the overhead bin, one for under the seat. I have done it.

Just as an FYI, on all of the flights that I have taken in the last few years, we were told that we could have one small luggage type carry-on and one that was purse-like or a computer. So, not all airlines will let you take 2 luggage types. You can always check your airline's web site to see what their restrictions are.

Just as an FYI, on all of the flights that I have taken in the last few years, we were told that we could have one small luggage type carry-on and one that was purse-like or a computer.

True, but this really hasn't changed the policy substantially. It used to be stated as 'two carry ons, with one carry on that can fit under the seat in front of you'. Since they didn't enforce that policy, and don't enforce this one, the changed wording really doesn't make much difference. :(

Just as an FYI, on all of the flights that I have taken in the last few years, we were told that we could have one small luggage type carry-on and one that was purse-like or a computer. So, not all airlines will let you take 2 luggage types. You can always check your airline's web site to see what their restrictions are.

People, the question was can it be done - not should it be done.

I would not try, but I still believe it can be done using one overhead bin sized carryon and one fits under the seat sized carryon. I have taken this level of luggage on board many flights. Of course when I know in advance that a large carryon will not fit (example CRJ) then I just check the luggage.

That said, it can be done, even though I would not recommend it.

Cruizer2, as I said in my post, two weeks ago I flew home, on a large NWA 757 from Ft. Lauderdale to Detroit, and they, along with Continental and Delta, were STRICTLY enforcing the ONE carry on rule. They said nothing about one large and one small carry on----it was just ONE carry on no matter the size. The guy in front of me had a wheeled carry on, a backpack and a computer case, and they took the wheeled carry on from him and checked it. Another person had a duffle, and a large backpack along with a purse and they took the duffle away from her and checked that. As I said, this was not a small plane, and neither were the other planes for which they kept making the same announcement of one carry on per person. Things are different when you're not flying out of Miami or FLL on a busy cruise ship day, but when it's Saturday and Sunday, and the planes are full, they do enforce the carry on rule.

The way I understand it from most airlines I've flown is that you are allowed two pieces, one carry on type of bag, plus one personal item, such as a purse, camera case or computer case. Some womens interpretation of purse is larger than my carry on case!

In reality, you see people all the time carrying on way more than a person should be allowed. I've been the one who has had to turn over my smaller than the limit carry on bag, because the bins were full of too many big pieces. I worried the entire flight, my meds and jewelry were in that bag, they took it from me before I could protest and get it out, it was also unlocked (pre 9/11). I now carry my meds and jewelry in my purse, just in case my carry on has to be checked.

I'm wondering if the OP has the connecting flight booked on the same ticket. If so, doesn't the airline just transfer their luggage to the right (hopefully) connecting flight? I might worry about this and carry on my bathing suit and one extra change of clothes.

We'll be flying to Miami and making a connecting flight. We're thinking we should try to pack all of our belongings for the cruise in to our carryon luggage and just go with that. Do you think we'll have enough room. 4 night cruise.. Thanks.

Above is the original question. Though several people have provided reasons why they believe it will not work, and serveral, including myself, believe it is not wise, the question is, "Do you think we'll have enough room."

Based on my experience on several long weekends (including three day weekends), having used just a carryon sized roller bag and a second bag (no wheels) that would fit under a seat, the answer is yes.

Cruizer2, as I said in my post, two weeks ago I flew home, on a large NWA 757 from Ft. Lauderdale to Detroit, and they, along with Continental and Delta, were STRICTLY enforcing the ONE carry on rule. They said nothing about one large and one small carry on----it was just ONE carry on no matter the size. The guy in front of me had a wheeled carry on, a backpack and a computer case, and they took the wheeled carry on from him and checked it. Another person had a duffle, and a large backpack along with a purse and they took the duffle away from her and checked that. As I said, this was not a small plane, and neither were the other planes for which they kept making the same announcement of one carry on per person. Things are different when you're not flying out of Miami or FLL on a busy cruise ship day, but when it's Saturday and Sunday, and the planes are full, they do enforce the carry on rule.

The last time I flew into Miami (Aug 2004 on a Friday before a Saturday cruise) and out of FLL (on Sunday) I had one full sized roller bag, one carryon roller bag and one other carry on bag. I only had to check my one full sized roller bag. The other two I took on all three jets (from L.A. to Atlanta, from Atlanta to Miami and from FLL to Long Beach). I will be flying into Orlando or Melbrourne in April 2006 for another cruise. I will likely have two carryons and one checked bag again.

Here is some info on airline carry on rules ...

http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/baggage/carry-on.asp

http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1032,00.html

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/baggage.html

My second bag, or personal item, is about the size of a backpack (without a frame). Sometimes it is a large computer case (holds a computer plus some clothing). I have never had to check either one when flying (about 20 flights in the last three years - both local and cross country). However, when I know I am flying on a CRJ I know my large carry on (roller bag) will not fit, so I don't even bring it (just use a full sized bag and check it).

Good point Cuizer: My answer to the OP question is "that depends on what you think you need to take with you for a 4 night cruise".

I have travelled Europe for 3 weeks, wearing clean clothes everyday, and took only a 7 x 12 X 19 under seat size carry on. Even went to the Opera in Vienna, swimming in Switzerland, and every type of activity in between. Did sink laundry frequently, but not every night, and did get 'tired' of my limited clothing choices, but nobody else knew. Would not dream of trying to do a cruise the same way--but it is possible. Just depends on how much you want to make it happen vs. how much you consider to be the minimum to take with you.

Which reminds me of the Tony Curtis Travel Method. Seems the man hated to haul luggage. So he bought everything he needed when he got to where he was going. He only wore white, which as he said, 'is always one of the available choices regardless of destination or time of year and always goes with everything'. Works if you have the budget for it, I suppose.

Check out post # 3 on this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=267253

Another thing to think about. Even 4 day cruises have a formal night. If you plan on missing that, then you might get away with a carry-on bag. We did not do our formal night when we did a 3 nighter from Miami to Nassau. We never made it to Nassau due to a hurricane. We never set foot inside the formal dining room. We opted to do the casual each night since it was such a short trip. We didn't even take any pants. We wore shorts because it was hot. We play golf, so we had a golf trip planned while in Florida once we got off the ship. I guess what I'm saying is what do you want to do while on the cruise and can the clothes fit in your carry on for that?

• 4 weeks later...

I work for a airline and fly quite often. I have gone to Hawaii with one small carry on and an empty duffel bag. To be set in first class we must dress for it (formal). Then I'm sure most people are like me and must buy a couple of tee shirts. Also most days are at the beach ,pool, or out shopping. The empty duffel bag is always filled on the way home. we are going for a 5 night cruise next month and are hoping to get away with only carry on.

Whatever luggage you take, make sure it's on WHEELS! Miami is a huge airport and to go from where we got off the airplane down to the lowest level where the cruise ship transfer buses are was 4 long levels. My best suggestion is what we did, go to the level you are looking for and have one of you sit with all of the luggage. Have the other person go in search of the area of the airport you want. Believe me, dragging even luggage on wheels in that airport is exhausting. I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but it will give you an idea of what to take.

I work for a airline and fly quite often. I have gone to Hawaii with one small carry on and an empty duffel bag. To be set in first class we must dress for it (formal).

Dress formal for first class seating on a plane? C'mon.:rolleyes:

Archived