Britannia worse experience in 9years of cruisingMos

Gayn

As stated I refused compensation as I refused to sign the mandatory form stating that I could not discuss the issue with anyone.

This cruise was for pre surgery on our return.

I needed to rest daily, my issue is the fact that they are reluctant to forward an engineers report as to what I inhaled in the cabin for two weeks.

We were woken up at times during the night with the over powering smell.

We kept our balcony windows open.

This was ongoing for two weeks.

Gayn

Your opening message definitely mentioned you expected compensation, did it not?

And although what you experienced was very unfortunate, I still cannot believe that the whole 2 weeks vacation was ruined, which is what your opening message also said.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Initially instinct kicks in but when it was offered I declined. Basically the mandatory form is very intimidating telling you not to mention the issue with anyone.

Basically the whole situation could have been handled better by senior staff,

Imagine everyday returning to your room after an offshore visit which I have to say are always the highlights of the cruise.

Then hoping that the smell had gone but only to find the balcony windows closed and the smell hits you as soon as you enter.

This continued for the two weeks. The carpet was deep cleaned as it started absorbing the smell.

This was not just the normal blocked drain smell it was a smell of decomposition/ sewage and this was coming from the air conditioning.

So much lemon gel wiped on the door and through the air conditioning was unbelievable masking the smell for an hour or so.

The issue is not about compensation but on principal.

The issue I am having with the company is their reluctance not to forward an engineers report to me as to what I had inhaled for two weeks.

Every individual is entitled to their opinion on a very bad experience or a fantastic experience, that is the purpose of forums or is this a forum where only great amazing reviews are wanted.

Reality is; some individuals have bad experiences, however again I state this incident has not put me off cruising and it is individual and personal choice as to where people go on their vacations.

Maybe i just don't get it

This situation surely is about compensation and po listening and acting on problems. If we were in this situation wouldn't we all want the same thing

Totally agree, P &O do seem to lack the ability to react reasonably to any passenger complaint, much like a lot the posters on here.

Surely cruises should be the opportunity to relax and have a good holiday, not spending hours on end at reception trying to sort out a stench in a cabin you have paid thousands of pounds for. Also some people have precious little time off so this sort of problem really does ruin what might be their only holiday. I suspect that this caused far more distress than other posters are giving credit for. If this happened to me I would want compensation for all that agro and expense, and actually faced with the same situation of having a cabin that smelt like a public toilet I'm sure others would feel the same. Don't doubt your convictions based on what people post here, even if the rest of the service was fabulous having stinky accommodation would create a very poor holiday experience. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe i just don't get it

This situation surely is about compensation and po listening and acting on problems. If we were in this situation wouldn't we all want the same thing

No I wouldn't. Some would be hell bent on compensation but I do agree that I would want answers.

Too much emphasis on getting compensation these days

Totally agree Mrs Tinkywinky

It was more about how the initial message was reported. It certainly stressed the worst 2 weeks and the expectation of compensation.

I'm certainly not disputing the inconvenience Gayn experienced, I just would've taken more note of the original message if there was more balance provided to the whole vacation.

Hi Florry and Mrs Tinkywinky

Thank you. Time is very precious life is not all about compensation but getting the truth.

I was blatantly lied to by senior officers on the ship, so yes I do want answers.

My several requests have been ignored, it just makes me more determined to find answers.

The issue needs to be rectified for future passengers.

Surely cruises should be the opportunity to relax and have a good holiday, not spending hours on end at reception trying to sort out a stench in a cabin you have paid thousands of pounds for. Also some people have precious little time off so this sort of problem really does ruin what might be their only holiday. I suspect that this caused far more distress than other posters are giving credit for. If this happened to me I would want compensation for all that agro and expense, and actually faced with the same situation of having a cabin that smelt like a public toilet I'm sure others would feel the same. Don't doubt your convictions based on what people post here, even if the rest of the service was fabulous having stinky accommodation would create a very poor holiday experience. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hear, hear.

If i had spent £5000 to sleep in a toilet i think it would be perfectly acceptable to ask for compensation . Nothing to do with a compensation culture.

Gayn did mention they were offered another cabin, but declined due to being by smokers and an obstructed view, so although still not ideal, they chose to remain.

I was awaiting surgery on my return declined due to very personal reasons and the fact it was at the rear of the ship where smokers congregated no offence my husband is ex smoker my son smokes. This would have impacted on my health issues.

My husband gave up smoking due to my issues.

I also suffer with severe vertigo so on all cruises we book midship so this would not affect me.

So anyone who has vertigo always go for mid ship.

Gayn - a few points if I may.

You are quite right to seek some form of compensation if the enjoyment of your cabin was severely compromised. More fool those who don't. However, I fear that you are wasting your time asking for an engineers report. You simply won't get one as it's just a number of entries on their computer system and they won't give you access to that.

Although too late now, you would have been far better to have agreed some compensation whilst on the ship. From my experience over 20 years with P&O, their land based customer services department is pretty hopeless, but their willingness to resolve issues whilst on board is excellent. The disclaimer that you were asked to sign is a standard procedure used by many businesses and is nothing to fear. In fact, as a matter of interest the P&O one is incorrectly worded as it wrongly puts the onus for confidentiality of the settlement terms on P&O and not the customer, so would not stand up in a court of law anyway! I'm staggered that they have never realised this, which indicates to me that they have never tried to enforce it.

I have had cause to sign two of them over the years whilst on board and on both occasions they were accompanied by offers that exceeded my expectations (and I'm a tough negotiator!) because we struck up a professional rapport with the senior staff dealing with the issues whilst on board and they wanted to ensure that we left the ship happy that the issue was resolved. And we did. By contrast, the one time I had to tackle P&O land based customer services it was a major battle. To be clear, letters or emails to the CEO etc are all dealt with by the same (poor) customer services team, however much they dress it up. I did win in the end, but the compensation I finally achieved (having twice been refused any) was inadequate given the issue raised, but most would have given up long before I did. That one still left a nasty taste in my mouth.

So, my advice would be to cut through the emotional stuff and ask for the value of compensation that you were offered on board. Say something like the fact that you were too upset about the situation whilst on board to be able to consider it at the time. I suspect that you will get that quite easily. Good luck

Hi Mandylennon the engineer was continually working on panel between our cabin and next door, further down they had ladders opening up air con in a particular cabin

It really was a cross between decomposition and sewage.

It was really unpleasant.

Selborne you seem to have experienced problems before.

Thanks for the advice.

The CEO passed it onto someone and now I have been passed onto someone else.

Will keep you updated on any or no progress made.

So for clarification you had a problem and the crew had difficulty in fixing it. You were offered compensation on board and you refused it because you did not like the form you had to sign. Which as I know only says you can't tell others how much you got.

Now because you are off the ship and not getting far you want to stir it up for P&O.

Just so we are clear.

Having had a problem before a bit like Selbourne, we sorted it on board to our satisfaction. Once you get off you make it so much harder.

Hi daib my issue is I have requested in numerous emails for an engineers report as to what I inhaled in the cabin for two weeks.

At times the smell woke us up.

This is a legitimate complaint which has not been resolved.

This issue has to be addressed by P&O so no other passenger should endure the same issue.