Docking in Bangkok

wynkys

Done this a couple of times on the Spirit in the past two years, and both times we have docked just outside the central downtown area. It is a most delightful trip down river as the sun is setting on all the temples. One of the most impressive sights in SE Asia.

When we were there on the Spirit I remember being just outside of the central part of Bangkok. A shuttle provided a short ride into the Shrangi La

hotel on the river for drop off and pick up. The larger ships that arrived at the same time could not get as close, because of size, as we did. In fact, I believe it was RSSC that had to dock so far away that they provided overnight hotel accomodations because of the lenghty ground transport.

Enjoy your trip.

take the river river cruise excursion; the city is not nice at all, but have suits custom made! the shop will have a car take you back to the ship. the shop (not the ship) will also pick you up in evening for a final fitting, and in the morning, the tailor will come to the ship for last minute tailoring! all for less than the cost of a ready to wear suit at your favorite shop at home.

Thank you once again for the answers to my original enquiry.

I was last in Bangkok on the Silver Shadow and I recall the captain saying that the ship was fractionally too long to go up river and so I assumed that the Spirit would be able to do it.

The drive from Laem Chabang is long and not very interesting and to be able to dock close to the city is a real plus.

Competition between the luxury lines is intense and on that same Silver Shadow cruise, our captain made a big point about the fact that we passed RSSC's Voyager on our way up river to Ho Chi Minh City and were able to dock downtown whereas the Voyager was parked some distance out. Another reason for choosing small rather than mid-size ships.

Since you have been to Bangkok before as we have been, you may want to consider the all day excursion to the River Kwai that Seabourn provides. It was wonderful and truly moving to see the Older primitive museum, followed by the visit to the new museum, opened a couple of years ago by two Brits and two Aussies. We could have stayed there all day! Then we had a boat ride on the river, followed by lunch, and then on to the Elephant camp for a tour and an Elephant ride up the hill, down the steep path and into the water. It was a long day but a wonderful one. Just a suggestion.

Archived