Radiance - Drydock

GMC

Well, I was on Radiance in Sept. to Alaska and I hope they don't change a thing.

Isn't it just usually normal maintenance stuff, like replacing worn carpets, working on the hull, engines, pods, etc?

We're on the Radiance in May for a 14 day Hawaii cruise. Sounds like she'll be fresh and ready to go for us. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Typically, drydock is mostly for exterior/mechanical maintenance as well as work inside the staterooms (furniture repair and such). We just got back from Radiance 2 weeks ago and they were replacing carpet throughout the public areas and scraping and repainting rails on the upper decks. They also performed maintenance on our balcony while we were in port. I too hope they don't change a thing - the ship is great!

Typically, drydock is mostly for exterior/mechanical maintenance as well as work inside the staterooms (furniture repair and such). We just got back from Radiance 2 weeks ago and they were replacing carpet throughout the public areas and scraping and repainting rails on the upper decks. They also performed maintenance on our balcony while we were in port. I too hope they don't change a thing - the ship is great!

We were on the 11/06/05 sailing, they had not started that work at that time.

There were a number of changes done to the ship during it's first drydock in 2003. This one is more just maintenance. The big item being the Aziposds. The captian told us there were not changes being made this time.

The Radiance has been special to us. We have sailed on her 6 times.

They do plenty of carpet replacements when the ship isn't in Drydock.

I was on Voyager a couple of weeks ago, and they were replacing carpeting and furniture in cabins on our deck all week. (We already had the new carpet.) They were coordinating with the cabin attendants to move anything guests had on the floor out of the cabin. They then put the beds out on the balcony, tore up the carpeting, replaced the carpeting, and put the new furniture in the room. (They were doing many other updates as well - none of which interefered with the cruise at all)

I'll be on Radiance next month - it will be interesting to see what else they're working on.

As for the Azipods - if they replaced one last drydock, maybe they're replacing the other one this drydock.

Are any of the voyager class ships scheduled for dry dock? I know these are newer but still wondering.

Actually, at this point I believe Jewel (Radiance class) is the newest ship in the fleet. I know there was some overlap. (Just an FYI.)

I can't imagine that they would make any major changes in the Radiance. It's an extremely popular class as is. There's no way they're going to try to turn it into a "small" Voyager style or something. RCI knows people like to have choices in style as well as size--and they know a good thing when they've got it. We love the Radiance class (and love the Voyager class as well, but for different reasons).

beachchick

Archived