Llbean rain jacket

Ski Mom

Hi all! I am in the market for a multi purpose jacket for my July 2018 Alaskan cruise. Has any one owned either of these jackets? I am looking to order on line either the Llbean Discovery fleece lined jacket or the 3 in 1 Challenger jacket. I have tried on three in one jackets in the past in other brands and always found them combersome and uncomfortable but also like the idea of it's versatility. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ditch any thought of a fleece-lined jacket made by anyone - totally impractical for July in Alaska as odds are good you'll need water/windproof top layer but there may be no actual warmth layer requirement. The downside of 3-in-1 jackets is the custom fit - better to stick with a simple shell and then wear nothing or as many layers as needed underneath of other, multipurpose clothing.

Separate layers are much more useful than a combo coat - you probably already own fleece jackets/sweaters, T-shirts, etc. that can be used for base and midlayers. If you don't have a good shell already, you'd probably find good use for it in Illinois - so investing in a breathable, waterproof shell (goretex or similar) could be a good plan. But unless you're planning long hikes rather than typical cruise excursions where you're mostly in vehicles, a cheaper non-breathable shell will do the job - and these you can pick up for $30+ on Amazon...

Ditch any thought of a fleece-lined jacket made by anyone - totally impractical for July in Alaska as odds are good you'll need water/windproof top layer but there may be no actual warmth layer requirement. The downside of 3-in-1 jackets is the custom fit - better to stick with a simple shell and then wear nothing or as many layers as needed underneath of other, multipurpose clothing.

Separate layers are much more useful than a combo coat - you probably already own fleece jackets/sweaters, T-shirts, etc. that can be used for base and midlayers. If you don't have a good shell already, you'd probably find good use for it in Illinois - so investing in a breathable, waterproof shell (goretex or similar) could be a good plan. But unless you're planning long hikes rather than typical cruise excursions where you're mostly in vehicles, a cheaper non-breathable shell will do the job - and these you can pick up for $30+ on Amazon...

I too any doing Alaska in July 2018 and was looking at jackets trying to decide this same thing. Thanks for the info.

martincath,

Thank you for your response. Yes I do have plenty of warm clothes including fleeces, down jackets all of which I thought were over kill until I read through the posts of how cold it is cruising through the glaciers and on the Kenai fjords and Major Marine boat tours. I also plan on whale watching in Juneau with Dolfin tours.

I do not however own a waterproof breathable shell because I've never really needed one. I don’t want to spend a lot on one as I will probably never wear it again because I am disabled and don't do any hiking unless its in a manual wheelchair or motorized scooter.

I will take your suggestion and look for a reasonable waterproof shell that I can layer over my fleece. Thank you again.

I do not however own a waterproof breathable shell because I've never really needed one. I don’t want to spend a lot on one as I will probably never wear it again because I am disabled and don't do any hiking unless its in a manual wheelchair or motorized scooter.

In that case consider a poncho or riding coat, which you can spread over the scooter/chair as well as yourself. There are plastic versions of the classic riding duster format available for dirt-cheap - with a few strategically-applied bulldog clips or clothespins (also handy to weight your shower curtain in the cabin!) you can ensure nothing gets caught in your wheels.

I'd suggest lighter-weight fleece - Spring/Fall rather than winter-weight - as they're more versatile than a single thick one. Long-sleeved T under a fleece gives plenty of warmth for upper body with a shell cutting the wind; light longjohns or even a pair of tights under long pants or jeans do the same for lower body.

Haven't been to Alaska in July but have gone twice in early/mid August. We love our LLBean 3 in 1. I bought matching color with my daughter which comes in handy to show people we are together. Silly, perhaps, but it works on tours or taking photos. We like the versatility and have used all 3 ways. A great, great jacket. And lots of pockets in both jackets so I can go without a bag.

Haven't been to Alaska in July but have gone twice in early/mid August. We love our LLBean 3 in 1. I bought matching color with my daughter which comes in handy to show people we are together. Silly, perhaps, but it works on tours or taking photos. We like the versatility and have used all 3 ways. A great, great jacket. And lots of pockets in both jackets so I can go without a bag.

Seamingo

Thanks for the input! It definitely looks like a nice looking jacket! Would you say they run true to size? Is it long enough to cover my backside?

In that case consider a poncho or riding coat, which you can spread over the scooter/chair as well as yourself. There are plastic versions of the classic riding duster format available for dirt-cheap - with a few strategically-applied bulldog clips or clothespins (also handy to weight your shower curtain in the cabin!) you can ensure nothing gets caught in your wheels.

I'd suggest lighter-weight fleece - Spring/Fall rather than winter-weight - as they're more versatile than a single thick one. Long-sleeved T under a fleece gives plenty of warmth for upper body with a shell cutting the wind; light longjohns or even a pair of tights under long pants or jeans do the same for lower body.

More great suggestions thanks! I forgot I have some silk long under wear top and bottom that I loved to wear when I still skied I will fish them out! I think I will bite the bullet and buy a breathable rain jacket even if it costs more I hate the feel of a non breathable one. If it is absolutely poring rain I do have a cheap poncho.

Seamingo

Thanks for the input! It definitely looks like a nice looking jacket! Would you say they run true to size? Is it long enough to cover my backside?

Yes, I believe they are true to size. Mine is 3 years old now and still love it. The back is a bit longer than the front. Was perfect in Alaska. You don't need a long parka. Also I bought Columbia rain pants because of the lower price but the reviews on the LLBean rain pants are very high. I think they have pockets and a zip leg for easy on/off. My Columbia just have a card sized pocket. It rains a lot in Alaska and tours go whether it rains or not. Depending on your tour choices, you might consider them. ATV, Zipline, hike, Glacier walk all get wet. Any outdoor activity. Wish I'd gone with LLBean rainpants but got sucked in by the Columbia cheaper price although they were fine. LLBean has great return policy too. And while I'm spending your money (haha) waterproof shoes are important too. Nice to walk carefree. As I said, it rains a lot in Alaska.

Yes, I believe they are true to size. Mine is 3 years old now and still love it. The back is a bit longer than the front. Was perfect in Alaska. You don't need a long parka. Also I bought Columbia rain pants because of the lower price but the reviews on the LLBean rain pants are very high. I think they have pockets and a zip leg for easy on/off. My Columbia just have a card sized pocket. It rains a lot in Alaska and tours go whether it rains or not. Depending on your tour choices, you might consider them. Any outdoor activity. Wish I'd gone with LLBean rainpants but got sucked in by the Columbia cheaper price although they were fine. LLBean has great return policy too. And while I'm spending your money (haha) waterproof shoes are important too. As I said, it rains a lot in Alaska.

I apologize. I missed that you weren't planning hiking/walking activities. I was speaking from my own use.

By the way, the 3 in 1 is a bit cumbersome until one is used to it. We also wore tights or leggings under our jeans and rain pants so your silk ski wear is a good choice.

Speaking as an active woman who HATES to be cold, and having been to Alaska twice late July/early August, I have no memory of being cold. I wore waterproof, lined, non-insulated jackets, layered with lightweight fleece and long sleeved t-shirts as needed. It definitely rains in the summer in Alaska. I love the LLBean fitness fleece jackets; I have three colors. Take your silk underwear; I still have mine from my cross country skiing days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

They are too heavy and bulky for summer in Alaska IMO. I use my Columbia one for home but don't bring it to Alaska.

It is 50 in Juneau now.

I was there last week and wore the whole 3 in 1 everyday and sometimes gloves and ear warmer. I guess it depends on how susceptible to cold one is. We were in a wet weather pattern and doing outdoor activities.

I was there last week and wore the whole 3 in 1 everyday and sometimes gloves and ear warmer. I guess it depends on how susceptible to cold one is. We were in a wet weather pattern and doing outdoor activities.

You are from Florida. The OP is from Illinois. You guys wear boots and gloves when it is 50. :) We break out in shorts at that temp in the midwest.

I would never bring my 3-1 to Alaska. I have a good rain jacket from Lands End.

To Ski Mom - I would plan for April/May weather in Illinois. I have worn shorts in Alaska in July.

Thanks for the report. I'm sorry you had so much rain. As I get older I am more sensitive to both cold and heat. There is nothing worse than being wet though it chills me to the bone and makes everything miserable. I hope you had a good trip in spite of the rain.

Thanks for the report. I'm sorry you had so much rain. As I get older I am more sensitive to both cold and heat. There is nothing worse than being wet though it chills me to the bone and makes everything miserable. I hope you had a good trip in spite of the rain.

It was a total thrill! Being properly attired makes all the difference. You're wise to be prepared. Plan for the worst; hope for the best. I understand being chilled to the bone, and I don't like it either. As long as you have a fleece under jacket combined with a good raincoat w/hood, you will be fine. You can add more shirt layers underneath.

By the way, I took a look through my photos. I traveled with people from MA, IA, IL and WI. Everyone had coats zipped (although I can't tell you how heavy their layers were) and a lot of warm hats. So we just caught a week of chilly damp weather. Except for 80 degrees in Vancouver! So one never knows. Hope your trip is great, too! It really is an adventure.

Thank you all for your input. It's true being from the midwest I am all to familiar with the fridgid temperatures and icy cold of our winters. If I was more active and moved around more I wouldn't even think of needing an insulated layer. I am able to walk but not very far so I will be viewing the glaciers and doing the Kenai fjords national park boat tour in a wheelchair or in a seated position. I know I could sit inside and view but I really want to experience being out on deck and seeing all this majestic state has to offer. Getting over heated can be just as debilitating for me. So thanks to all your suggestions I am going to invest in a good waterproof breathable shell and rain pants and of course waterproof shoes. Up until three years ago I was still skiing so a have plenty of warm hats and gloves but I will also pick up a pair of light weight gloves and a light weight fleece and some long sleeve tees. Thanks again for your input. I know it's a year away but there are some great sales out there that I am excited to take advantage of! Happy cruising to you all!

My go to is a high quality golf rain jacket. It is both waterproof and windproof. It adds warmth if the weather is cool as in Alaska. Even more important for me is my waterproof bucket hat that is an accessory that is an invaluable part of my wet weather gear. For what it's worth, I'm a former golf professional and got these for playing in bad conditions. Tried using them for travel--first time in Alaska. They were awesome once I got over using them for other their intended purpose, LOL. Retail is about $350 for the jacket and hat. Foot Joy is the brand FWIW.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Up until three years ago I was still skiing so a have plenty of warm hats and gloves but I will also pick up a pair of light weight gloves and a light weight fleece and some long sleeve tees.

I have never bought waterproof shoes to Alaska. I recently (accidentally) bought some clearance Brooks athletic shoes that were marked "GTX". I didn't realize they were Gore-tex and water proof. You may want to look into Brooks GTX athletic shoes.

Speaking as an active woman who HATES to be cold, and having been to Alaska twice late July/early August, I have no memory of being cold. I wore waterproof, lined, non-insulated jackets, layered with lightweight fleece and long sleeved t-shirts as needed. It definitely rains in the summer in Alaska. I love the LLBean fitness fleece jackets; I have three colors. Take your silk underwear; I still have mine from my cross country skiing days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Those llbean fitness tops look great! All my fleeces are pretty heavy and would be to bulky to pack so I could definitely update my fleece collection and I'm sure I will get good use of them as well at home. Thanks!

My go to is a high quality golf rain jacket. It is both waterproof and windproof. It adds warmth if the weather is cool as in Alaska. Even more important for me is my waterproof bucket hat that is an accessory that is an invaluable part of my wet weather gear. For what it's worth, I'm a former golf professional and got these for playing in bad conditions. Tried using them for travel--first time in Alaska. They were awesome once I got over using them for other their intended purpose, LOL. Retail is about $350 for the jacket and hat. Foot Joy is the brand FWIW.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

DRPWDUNIL

Wow those are some pretty sharp Golf/Alaskan cruise attire! The prices are a little steep for me seeing that I don't golf and wouldn't be able to use them as a multi purpose option like you did. I am loving that bucket hat though and would definitely consider investing in that! Thanks for the info!

I have never bought waterproof shoes to Alaska. I recently (accidentally) bought some clearance Brooks athletic shoes that were marked "GTX". I didn't realize they were Gore-tex and water proof. You may want to look into Brooks GTX athletic shoes.

I didn't really mean to say waterproof shoes as they can be a little heavy on my feet. I just need to get a comfortable pair of walking shoes that will dry fast. I will look at the BB shoes you suggested thanks.

DRPWDUNIL

Wow those are some pretty sharp Golf/Alaskan cruise attire! The prices are a little steep for me seeing that I don't golf and wouldn't be able to use them as a multi purpose option like you did. I am loving that bucket hat though and would definitely consider investing in that! Thanks for the info!

I just bought a good Lands End rain jacket. Didn't spend nearly that but it is warm.

I swear I'm not pushing LLBean but their pants were in the running when I was researching. I remember they have rainpants that unzip hem to waist. That might be helpful for you.

My rain hats are by Totes, and I'm happy with them. One is a bucket hat and one is a ball cap with ear flaps. Dorky but effective.