Taxi's accept U.S. dollars?

thebets

I'm really stumped as to what to do in Martinique. We are a family with 2 kids ages 13 and 19. I would love to hire a taxi to give us an island tour, but I am very hesitant due to things I've read on this board. Can anyone tell me if using U.S. currency is fine with the independent taxi drivers, or do we need to bring euros? If we chose to do this, we would like to make sure the driver speaks english, as we do not speak any french. Any thoughts about this? I've also read that the natives don't like Americans, and do not treat us very well - true? Thanks for your help!!

All taxi drivers accept US dollars. Most of them speack english.And don't be afraid of what you read, nobody will be mad at you because you are american!! Read on this board, you'll find people who loved Martinique. And above all, Martinique is more secure than many island of the caribbean. And if you travel with teenagers it's important.

enjoy your stay here.

:D

Thank you for your positive words Pomliane! We've decided to take a chance and hire a taxi driver for an island tour. Could we drive up Route de la Trace and to Marigot for a quick look, and thru St. Pierre on the way back to the ship all in about 2 hours? My kids also want to go to Trois Islets on the ferry, so we're pressed for time. We will only be there from 7:00am to 2:00pm.

I think your stay is quite short to do the whole program. You'll have to choose between Trois-ilets and La route de la Trace.

To go to trois Ilets, take the ferry. You'll find shops, restaurants, bars, beaches... you can even rent a cab to visit empress josephine's house or chateau gaillard (handicraft boutiques) in Trois Ilets. It's the "touristy" face of the island.

The Route de la trace and North of the island is more authentic and "wild". You can visit the Balata's garden and go to the Mount Pelee and St pierre. If you want to go to the beach you can go to the carbet... The atlantic coast of martinique (between marigot and Grand rivière) is really beautiful!! but you can't visit st Pierre and this part of the island the same day.

If you prefer, ask the taxi to get you to Ajoupa-Bouillon, basse-Pointe (visit the Leyritz palntation) and Macouba you'll see banana and pineapple plantations, deep blue sea and if you're lucky you'll see Dominica!!

martinique is a small island but with so many things to discover. you'll have to come back and stay longer!!!;)

flycatcher - yes, I do believe it is the same thing.

Pomilane - couldn't we take about two hours to do a drive around? Are you saying that it wouldn't be long enough? How many hours would it take to drive up Route du la Trace to Marigot, and thru St. Pierre back to the ship? Thank you again!

Archived